Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Do I Need A Bigger Hammer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrPhat40, May 26, 2021.

1. MrPhat40

MrPhat40

H.A.M.B.ers

Decided to change up the look on my 40 Ford coupe last year. So I added nerf bars front and rear. But the Halibrand wheels I was running for well over 20 years just didn't seem to meet the look I was after. (High School car). So I searched around and picked up a decent set of '57 Lincoln Premier hub caps. After a bit of dent/scratch removal and polishing they looked pretty good. With a set of Starbursts centers from Steeringwheel Kris (top quality work I might add) completed the caps. I bought a new set of Wheelsmith steelies (15 by 6 and 15 by 7) and Diamondback 2" front 2 3/4 rear whitewalls.Now to install the hubcaps.
    Three of them went on with a little fiddling. However, the passenger side cap does not wish to co-operate. I can get about 3/4's of her to seat but then as I try to seat the other bit it will seat but the an already seated edge will pop out. It is almost like the cap is a potato chip.?
    I just can not get the entire cap to seat . Part of it is flush but the other side will be perhaps 3/32s or more proud of the wheel lip. I have 2-3 spots around the cap that are not fully seated. I am fearful I will lose it and I love driving this car.
    Any tips or tricks to get this hubcap to seat? I thought about bending some of the clips inward but don't want to make matters worst. Looking for some ideas to get this baby to fully sit down.
    Thx.
    MrPhat40

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

old caps and modern wheels that look old style do not always mate up - do a search here, been more than one thread about them

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@MrPhat40

Curious……have you tried that stubborn cap on any of the other three wheels that accepted a cap? Conversely, have you tried fitting one of the other three caps to the stubborn wheel? Depending on the outcome, you should be closer to figuring out where the problem resides.

Ray

911 steve, egads and panhead_pete like this.
  4. MrPhat40

MrPhat40

Ray
    That is my next course of action
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I had some of those wheel covers on my shoebox Vert before and they weren’t even close to working. The wheel offset was wrong for them to work.

6. A Boner

A Boner

By a bigger hammer, do you mean like a Ford hammer?