Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 Ford Roadster P-51

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AULIZ, Nov 21, 2020.

1. AULIZ

AULIZ

Today polished headlight bar center and painted ends. Bar is old hot rod style and made using original 1932 headlight bar.
    I increased fuel in tank. I had only 4litre 98oct , so I increased 3litre more VP 116 racing fuel. Changed oil and fired up. Engine sounds good with those exhaust. Loud pipes.

Saturday morning, when crew chief Oskar is still sleeping, I go there and start hammer and polish those original 1932 headlights. I decided, I install first those original headlight until 7" size lights are customized, welded and painted.

aulis

stoker-726.jpg stoker-727.jpg stoker-728.jpg

2. AULIZ

AULIZ

Weekend nothing happens in my garage. Qualitytime with Oskar.
    Today I made all front wirings ready. Also made 1/4" tube to fuel press gauge on dash.
    Old style 12V 50W/32W headlight pulbs not found from here. I had only one here. From Sweden (Dalhems) found those and ordered. I like those, because not too bright than Halogen etc...

Engine runs OK. Another waterpump is leak. Maybe I need to piece it, make machinery jobs and install new "coal seal" there. Those old truck pumps are not good, but not have any 100% rebuilt on stock. One day job to make rebuilding.

Tomorrow I need to buy 14-15" electric fan and install it. I know that it will be needed with supercharger engine.
    After fixed wirings under dash I can put together interior, doors... Draglink, Tie rod need to tight and increase cottered pins etc. and many many small things before test drive.

Aulis

Kendall Racing Green 20W50 is not available in USA consumer packing. They manufacture it to Oy Kendall Ab (Finland) 200litre barrel size. They repack it to 20litre cans (+5gal) here in Finland. They sell only for racers. Today I talked with Kendall Sales Manager, he told me that this Racing green is OK to use with Nitromethane. Flash point (COC) 230C (446F), Kinematic viscosity cSt = 203.20 (in 40C) and cSt = 20.5 (in 100C , boiling point). Titan % = 0.01. Zink % = 0.15 Total Base Number (TBN), ASTM D2896 = 9.50

stoker-729.jpg stoker-730.jpg stoker-731.jpg

ct1932ford, SPEC, Maicobreako and 5 others like this.
  3. DrJekyllMrHyde

DrJekyllMrHyde

Your tread is for sure one of the most inspireing here, I can for no reason see why your marvelously built cars can fail in this forum.
    Your skills and dedication to work hard pays off with cars built with personality, adding to a rather strickt frame for a traditional hotrod else seen.
    Your personal input of Oscar, daytime work, hard times, good times, rodding other car types, situation in Finland etc., gives an onest picture of your life where cars and working with your hands has a very high priority.
    Please continue.
    Living in North Europe clearly makes it more difficult to get the right parts, so some workmanship as absolutely needed to make what you can get, into a cool hotrod.

What racetrack where you talking about, I was twice at Botnia Ring with my Norton Domiracer.
    A great pleasure to meet the Finns, direct and onest people. Once friends, always friends.

Good luck with your projects, and please visit Romo Motorfestival some time!

Cheers, Uffe, Denmark.

4. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hello
    Thank You Sir.
    Yes, Botnia ring is only 50-60km South from here , Seinäjoki city.
    Now we have also drag race track here, only 35km North from here (LSK business park).

I try to keep hot rod hobby fun. I have posibility to work with cars during my working day.
    When owner of the company turned my head to move back from CA to Finland, I had some things what he need to accept. 1) fixed salary amount, 2) I work homeoffice, not in Helsinki company headoffice, 3) I built hot rods during working days. Mainthing is that I make good money for company. I work only 2-4hours day. Sometimes 6-8hours, rest of day i do something else like hot rods, homeworks....

Im also interested in built 1-2 custom car. Maybe next after this roadster, 1935 pick up and 5w coupe project I have custom project in my garage.

Maybe this or next summer I will drive down to Romo. DK.

Yesterday I installed overflowtank. Also adjust brakeshoes and bleed brakes.
    Today I fasten wirings under dash, installed kickpanels. Seatframes are bolted on.
    Tomorrow continue with doors and maybe take first testdrive if this windy "small storm" is over.

Aulis

stoker-732.jpg stoker-733.jpg stoker-734.jpg stoker-735.jpg

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    nunattax, pwschuh, x77matt and 7 others like this.
  5. Drylake

Drylake

I really like this build, and have been following along observing the progress quietly, after watching your last build come to fruition. A couple of observations I would like to ask about, and am planning to tackle these on my 32 roadster soon. Are those F1 upper radiator hoses? Will the copper lines you have run, case harden and crack from movement between the engine and fire wall? Great work and I'm very impressed with your ability to build your cars in the timely manner you do!

Stogy likes this.
  6. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you look closely at his various pictures you will see he is using rubber flex lines had points that move example between frame and body

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  7. Drylake

Drylake

Ah, it is actually the fuel pressure gauge line and oil pressure line I was looking at. It seems I needed more coffee for my eyes to work this morning. Any idea on the upper radiator hoses?

Stogy likes this.
  8. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Hi Auliz, great build.
    What dou you use for front shocks?
    They look like the perfect length
    Regards
    Micky

Stogy likes this.
  9. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

a pick up build sounds good

Stogy likes this.
  10. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hello
    Thanks.
    Good notes.
    Fuel press line is brass and made for fuel and oilpressure use. That brass material has increased lead etc. so its more flexible than many other brass mixtures. I was think that its so long tube that it will be OK. Engine is moving, but very very little. I will increase one fuel line bracket outside of firewall. I have those brick red "haired" clamps.

Upper hoses are my own production. Sometimes company has made me 20-30pc set. Expensive, so I have not ordered those. I still have 2set for own use. Those are same set than my S-curve lower hoses, which I have plenty of for sale.

There is "majestic" 3psi fuel press....hahaa. More show than go.
    Amp gauge I have not connected and maybe I change that gauge for another. I have AC AMP gauge (sun) outside of firewall, that is enough. I can see that generator is OK.

Shocks were bolted on when I bought car. Made in Canada stuff. If I remember right those are Chassis Engineering stuff.

AndersF, Stogy and Drylake like this.
  11. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thursday too much dayjob.... I was only 7hours in garage. I cut this panel and made ready. Beadroller machine, english wheel, hammers..... These ready floorpanels have big holes, so need to made rather big piece (45cm x 24cm) of Aluminum. Tomorrow morning continue cutting aluminum. Need to made splitted pieces around pedal arms and column tube.

Aulis

stoker-736.jpg stoker-737.jpg stoker-738.jpg stoker-739.jpg stoker-740.jpg stoker-741.jpg stoker-742.jpg stoker-743.jpg stoker-744.jpg stoker-745.jpg

bymanr, pwschuh, x77matt and 7 others like this.
  12. Drylake

Drylake

13. AULIZ

AULIZ

Friday is over. Just come in and wait until sauna is 90-100dec Celcius.
    This was so hard and long day, Sauna is good place to relax with one cold beer.
    Tomorrow morning I need to install drv side door panel. I think after that interior is ready.

Sunday, Monday Need to make doorhandle escutheons.
    Before that, during weekend, need to drive car 1st time outside. Testing...

Aulis

stoker-746.jpg stoker-747.jpg stoker-748.jpg stoker-749.jpg stoker-750.jpg stoker-751.jpg stoker-752.jpg stoker-753.jpg stoker-754.jpg stoker-755.jpg stoker-756.jpg stoker-757.jpg stoker-758.jpg
    Aulis

14. AULIZ

AULIZ

All Right. Saturday morning I installed driver door ready. Drive first time outside from my garage.
    Im sitting so low that I do not see radiator shell.... Sportscar feeling!

Looks better live than my bad quality cellphone pics.
    Maybe need to use canon system camera to get better shots.

Monday I need to make door opening handle escutheons.

Aulis

stoker-759.jpg stoker-760.jpg stoker-761.jpg stoker-762.jpg stoker-763.jpg stoker-764.jpg stoker-765.jpg

bymanr, charleyw, SPEC and 13 others like this.
  15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Looking good...

Stogy and nunattax like this.
  16. tom feland

tom feland
    from Norman, OK

Another Real Hot by Auliz.........Very Nice!

Stogy likes this.
  17. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sirs.
    Long dark winter --> Depression --> makes man doing something that!

:)

Today, Sunday, nice warm weather. Before Chrew Chief Oskar is wake up, I go to fix my garage. Now it looks like place after bomb assault. Today we just go Fishing, Yesterday we bought new swimming fishing lures.... Of course we take coleman 2-fuel stove, sausage, sandwich... and cook there coffee, hot choholate

Aulis

18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Sounds great. You are doing a good job as a builder and a great job as a parent!

Stogy likes this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just like that...you're an aggressive builder @AULIZ we should all be as fortunate...

I admire your drive to succeed...I know your not there yet minus a couple of things but I congratulate you on another well deserved milestone with Oskar...

stoker-757.jpg

:rolleyes:...This pic you took above reflects the awe and interest with the images in the poster expressing just that...;)

60234b9f1fc1c35fbcefe0418b41dccc.jpg

:rolleyes:...Have fun catching some Whoppers...you taking the Deuce?

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  20. TOMMAY

TOMMAY
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from MOBILE,AL

You do some fine work. Be proud.

Stogy likes this.
  21. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks Men.
    I will shot better pics using my canon digicamera.

Today, Sunday evening we removed tie rod, changed "ballend" bolts. Before that we adjust drak link right dimension.
    now steering wheel is right position when drive direct foward. Note our old "hiperf" steeringangletool. Maybe 30´s stuff? very easy to use. teeth bars horizontal and vertigal. You just turn screw and when looks good, tight locking bolt.
    when right height installed, can easily do all alone, if want. Just push car and measure from same place and that´s it. I normally use 4-5mm (I do not know right english word). 2-3mm is OK with radial tires.

Tomorrow I need to remove rear axle. I must increase one leaf. We note that rear axle hit too easy bumper which is there downside of frame. We just drive few km after steering was adjusted.

Aulis

stoker-766.jpg stoker-767.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    bymanr, brEad, AndersF and 1 other person like this.
  22. AULIZ

AULIZ

Yesterday I removed rear spring and increased two leaft. Now better, rear axle not hit frame.
    Today made doorhandle escutheons. First version was not good. I made cup and hole wrong place.... I made new ones and use those with original escutheons.

Sunday good testdrive with Oskar.
    Yesterday 5km (3miles) testdrive, OK.
    Today I was just 2km from home hear metallic sound. I was wonder if that sound comes from tranny, same time I was just pedal clutch. I drive home and note that drv side double row waterpump pulley was gone...
    I was lucky, I found it on original front crossmember near of crank pulley.
    I remember that pulley was not very tight when I installed it 1-2y ago , after I rebuilt waterpumps.
    Today morning I need to remove pump. made sleeve between waterpump shaft and pulley. Must be very tight....

Thursday I drive hot rod in to my closed trailer. I drive weekend to south, big cruising there.
    Aulis

stoker-768.jpg stoker-769.jpg stoker-770.jpg stoker-771.jpg stoker-772.jpg stoker-773.jpg stoker-774.jpg stoker-775.jpg stoker-776.jpg

RustyBullet, charleyw, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  23. No end to your skills as shown over and over again throughout this thread. Certainly one of the best home builds ever on the HAMB in my view.

Stogy and KiwiGlen like this.
  24. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sir.
    We have nice summer weather. Roadster finished 2-3weeks before I was think.
    Today early morning I made sleeve between waterpump shaft and pulley. Now pulley was very tight to press on it´s place.

Tomorrow I wash car, drive it in to my closed trailer and friday I drive down to Helsinki, our capital. I visit our company (last time 3-4years ago) and Friday evening they have in Malmi airport (ex. Helsinki international airport, Art deco style place) big cruising. Maybe 1500-2000 American cars.

June, July, August I try to take easy. So much things to do home, maybe on track with 68 Nova or GS Buick.
    I have plan that I built two flathead during those summer months. 296cid for own use and 239cid for sale.

Aulis

brEad, old skoool and AndersF like this.
  25. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Aulis, your killing it as usual, I know you will get the stance dialed in, great tire and wheel sizes, love the hood vents, tail lights filler panel and the colors!
    I have believed for sometime we were distant relatives in our love of military surplus pieces but are now brothers in dash warbird magneto switches if anything.
    I have to ask though how did you resist punching louvers all they down the back?

Stogy likes this.
  26. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You very much.
    Im happy that result is liked, I like it too. Very much like I was planed last autumn. Of course changed many things during building time, but that is normal.

Military history is interesting and there we still can learn very much..... and take some ideas.

I was Friday in FHRA (Finnish Hot Rod Association) Malmi Cruising. Long way to drive there and back. I was met there so many friends and people who was interested in this Rod.

Louvers: Sorry my english, Im not sure what You mean.

Aulis

Stogy likes this.
  27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

30D8782E-FE19-4ACE-A2D3-EC6E3126AD0A.jpeg 6559FF79-60DA-40DB-9F48-72D6FED5C3B8.jpeg You always say that and then one of us tells you how impressive your English is. Much better than any of our attempts at Finnish. I really enjoy listening to you translate your builds. Many times I understand it better than plenty of Americans.

Fortunateson and Stogy like this.
  28. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks. Many times finnish are say me "Aulis , You write to HamB or your own homepage english so wrong. words are wrong order,....." . I have answered "You need to keep own website or own topic and write there perfect english". I hate thos language "polices". I do not proofread own text, just put words one after one and if it is wrong, it is wrong. Our schoolsystem was (I hope it was) accept only right writing or right speak sentences....

Its warm here. Yesterday schoolyear was over. Oskar has two month vacation. Today we go outside luch or dinner and take first over 10km ride with new hot rod. This warm will continue (+25dec celcius daily) one week more, need to enjoy.

Louvers: I made those louvers lines curved line. I used directional surface that beading front side of louvers. That is curved. another option was to push louvers direct line as trunk lid front end.

Aulis

Stogy, brEad, warbird1 and 3 others like this.
  29. SPEC

SPEC

Excellent build!

Stogy and nunattax like this.
  30. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks.
    Yesterday i was opened harman collins magneto. once year need to fix it. surfaces are oxidized.
    Same time changed new autolite spark plugs. I was take ride 60-70mpl (100-115kmh). I have problem with radiator. Nice nearly 100% condition but very old brass radiator. That is not enough for supercharger engine.
    Im waiting for that Walker , which I bough from US, is arrive to Finland. New Walker has maybe over 50% cooling area bethween 4row pipes. I have note earlier that its enough. While I need to install 16" electric fan inside of radiator. Looks terrible, but I have there already one extra cloth wire. Today I install fan and one relay next to fan. One wire from dash is needed to ground relay.

Two pics shot by professional photographer Pauli Pirskanen

Aulis

roadster-1.jpg roadster-2.jpg

Stogy, warbird1, Maicobreako and 5 others like this.