Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

Cacti and roadsters go together well 20200314_153017.jpg

2. 97

As usual awesome weekend report and great to see your hot rod is being used as it should be. Soon your truck will be obsolete. It is heading into winter here almost time for shoes and socks and long pants and a jersey... you have a whole hotrod summer ahead.
    I don't want to burst ya bubble, but the zinc additive is completely unnecessary in a Model A engine. Zinc additives were not even added to oil until the 40s. It is there primarily to minimise wear at high pressure/friction points, of which the Model A engine(or the flathead V8) has none. It is an OHV problem where high valve spring pressures(needed for the heavy valve train) create a high pressure high wear issue at the cam follower/cam interface .
    The oil companies have not removed zinc from oil formulation, just reduced it so that catalytic convertors do not fail (so often). There is plenty in the oil you buy to satisfy the needs of a Model A Ford. No oil filter, no air filter, no problem, just use a basic oil and change it often.

3. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Car looks great! Ya need some reverse eye springs now.

Ya might try leather on the windshield posts, and some spring washers to keep tension on things. Just a thought, I'm sure experts will chime in.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Great update, Thanks. Good to see it out and about. If you are still worried about zinc, several years ago when I was a parts guy I talked to a tech at STP. He assured me that though not listed on the bottle there is enough zinc in a bottle of regular STP to cover the needs of an old engine for an oil change. I use it in my GMC 270 which is OHV as pointed out by 97. Funny thing, some of the zinc additives don't have any zinc. o_O
    The aluminum gear will 'run in" in a while and quiet down some.

5. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It doesn't get any better than that. Our cars almost look like they're related! Maybe the cacti are too.

Thank you! I plan to street-park the truck (hopefully soon) so that I can easily call the roadster into action. That would be a dream come true. Great info about the zinc. Now I know!

Don't you worry, we'll eventually get it sitting low. Not now though! Good advice about the washers. Details to follow.

Hahah damn, now I know what I should be *zinking* about.

6. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Today's hot rod adventures were multifaceted. During my lunch break, I made my way over to San Lorenzo to pick up a few things that I had won in an estate auction at an old machine shop. This poster was not one of those things, but I did ask about it! (Someone had already paid for it.)
    IMG_5294.jpg
    So, what did I get? A really early Moon tank and 1.5 Stromberg 48 carbs. IMG_5297.jpg
    Judging by the tags, I believe the tank is from 1962. It has Moon's Santa Fe Springs address but still retains the T roadster logo. The black warning label cautions the user to only fill it with 100% hydrazine. That's some serious business. Note the weight savings on the knock-off cap.

I plan to dig up more of its history in a future Jalopy Journal article. That being said, all of this is for sale or trade for roadster parts. If the tank were bigger, I would totally run it in the trunk on version 2.0 of the car.
    IMG_5306.jpg
    Dual carb goofin'.

After that adventure came to a close, I hit the hardware store and picked up a series of specialty washers to try to remedy the windshield situation. Remembering what I read on the H.A.M.B, I used nylon washers between the lower wing nuts and the windshield posts. I looked for leather washers, but I ended up going with rubber ones and a light coat of hi-tack instead. Once everything dried, the windshield seemed far more secure. Even though it's not perfect, it is way better.

The next step was a natural one—take a test drive to the beach. IMG_5302.jpg
    It stayed in place much better. I am still going to make little tabs on the bottom, but I am overall very happy. IMG_5304.jpg
    Other than taking my roommates for rides around the Richmond after dinner, that's all I have to report for today. Good times with vintage tin!

JalopyJimbo, enloe, catdad49 and 21 others like this.
  7. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Oh, I'm also shopping for mirrors. I plan to just get a repo one to clamp to the center of the windshield frame, and I'm on the hunt for a hinge clamp one for the driver's side door. If anyone has either of these sitting around gathering dust, I'd love to make a deal. DSCN2646.jpg
    This one is pretty cool, but it sold awhile back.

8. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Sorry you didn't get the Bonneville poster. That is the year I barely graduated from high school, didn't make it to Bonneville for another 45 years. :(
    The car looks lonely at the beach, too bad Playland isn't still there it would be the perfect backdrop. :cool:

9. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sounds like a hell of a trip. And I agree about Playland. I'm sure it was better than the condos that are there now. Back in July of 2019, I wrote a Jalopy Journal feature about Musée Mécanique, which is filled with all sorts of coin-operated oddities—many of which are vestiges of Playland's arcade. For those who are interested in this sort of thing, you can find the article here.
    Screen-Shot-2019-07-18-at-10.50.20-PM.png

JalopyJimbo, enloe, catdad49 and 7 others like this.
  10. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

For the next week or so I'll be back in the Midwest, but I figured I'd keep the ball rolling here with a few pictures. Before I left, I managed to take the car on its longest trip to date, winding through the Richmond, up through the Presidio, into the Marina and just about everywhere in between. It's running great and I think it enjoyed stretching its legs on a sunny San Francisco afternoon. I took this shot from my living room window, just because.
    IMG_5320.jpg
    That same day, I dusted the cobwebs off the hood and latched it into position. IMG_5322.jpg
    After all the attention I've been giving this 'banger, I like the hoodless look better. Besides, I have something neat from @Hitchhiker on its way that I know I won't want to hide.

As you can tell by the driveway, we're definitely getting some oil leakage when hot. It hasn't been enough to require a refill, but I do keep a close eye on it. I think the cork gasket beneath the rear main may need some attention. Or I should figure out a good way to clean the driveway when I eventually move! That's all for tonight.

Outback, enloe, bchctybob and 13 others like this.
  11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Dawn dish soap ;)

get yourself one of those big cookie sheet looking drip trays from the box store. A little kitty litter and your floor will always be clean

bchctybob, Stogy, Woogeroo and 4 others like this.
  12. Budget36

Budget36

I picked up a drip pan at AutoZone, seems to me it was less that 10$. It’s about 2ft x 3ft, maybe a bit smaller.

Stogy likes this.
  13. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Just noticed looks like we got our seats from the same pile. Need to cut mine down a bit seat.jpg

Outback, enloe, catdad49 and 7 others like this.
  14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Put a belly pan on it with a drain plug then you can collect and recycle the oil. :rolleyes:
    I like the hood. You don't have to show all your stuff all the time, that's why we wear pants around strangers. :eek: :D

Outback, catdad49, bchctybob and 11 others like this.
  15. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Personally, I like the hood too. You can also pull the sides and run just the top if you want to show off the engine.

bchctybob, Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  16. Budget36

Budget36

Dang, no wonder I can’t make new friends...

Outback, catdad49, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  17. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

Be careful what you wish for, you might not like the type of new friends you attract!

enloe, Stogy, 48fordnut and 2 others like this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Guys roadsters are tops off not bottoms. Let’s let 6 balls keep it a mystery and keep this roadster friendly lol

J.Ukrop, Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  19. You're a cool dude. Good on ya to give back.

20. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What about losing the sides and just running the top?

upload_2021-5-28_16-20-7.png

Something to think about?

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    Outback, enloe, jim snow and 12 others like this.
  21. Live with the leaks. Old stuff was built when leaks didn't matter (ever notice how the lanes of roads had an oil stripe down the middle 'back in the day'?). The no-leak automobile is a (relatively) modern thing that has come about by years of expensive engineering, tooling manufacturing tolerances and QC. Clean the driveway.

22. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

It's not leaking It's just marking It's territory.

23. guitarguy

guitarguy

OMG, best line I have heard all day! Freaking hilarious!

I myself prefer hood top, no sides.....of course on my deal, there is no way to effectively run sides, at least in my opinion.

catdad49, e1956v, J.Ukrop and 3 others like this.
  24. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Nice Shop all the nice fine Gear to make some trick Parts.

J.Ukrop and Stogy like this.
  25. 97

Leaks do matter, they were/are a design feature, kept the oil refreshed between oil changes when oil was not so full of additives and no oil filter !

Algoma56, J.Ukrop, The 39 guy and 3 others like this.
  26. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

3CD31680-46D7-402B-9C5E-7A2F9B3B57EB.jpeg

I run a hood top on both of my cars with leather hold down straps. This is the '29 CCPU

Outback, catdad49, OFT and 3 others like this.
  27. My girlfriend asked what I was wearing today. I answered, "NOTHING! I'm going to make some new friends today!"

Outback, guitarguy, J.Ukrop and 3 others like this.
  28. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_5361.jpg
    This week I'm in Michigan, but I do have a few exciting things coming via air mail. Here's Andrew inspecting the mailbox situation on his new street.

Yesterday he and I did some serious vintage tin research at the Gilmore Automotive Museum. The place is incredible. I'll post the full report soon. For now, here's a couple of pertinent pictures.
    IMG_5410.jpg
    Naturally, we gravitated towards this building IMG_5412.jpg
    And we were deeply fascinated with this detailed cutaway
    IMG_5422-1.jpg
    You guys know how excited I was to see this in there. Anyways, like I said, stay tuned for more!

29. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I was in the first year of the Auto Shop class at my high school and I did a cutaway similar tho that only on a single cylinder Wisconsin engine. I did a chart fo it in my commercial art class. The next year I happened to see then both displayed at the county fair with ribbons they had won. No credit given to me at all. :( Oh well the extra after school hours counted against the many hours of detention I owed so I was able to graduate. :D I should never have taken my '38 coupe in the gem. :eek: I had to sand the floor too. o_O

Looking forward to more about your trip. If you can get a picture of the air mail delivery. :)

30. 97

There are a few cutaway engines that run,
    I like this one

But the fun engine video I think I like the most is this one from Mart , years ago.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021