Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead block repairs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftiescat, May 21, 2021.

1. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

No antifreeze in the oil. The engine was pulled and the guy saved it because he said it was one of the best running flatheads he’s ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. alchemy

alchemy

Not really sure why you are tearing this engine apart? The seller said it was one of the best engines he's ever had, and you want to strip it down? You have too much money to burn?

If it was mine, I'd take it apart carefully, keeping all valves and lifters in order, and pistons and rods in their respective holes. See how much slop the cylinders have, but if it is even close to acceptable, just hone it for a fresh hatch and put some new rings on. If the bearings are good, maybe give the journals a quick polish. Then clean/boil everything and assemble with fresh gaskets. Give the valves a little turn with some compound and check the adjustment. Then drive the thing.

3. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

The engine sat wrapped up for 11 years until I bought it, and it wasn’t exactly cheap. I’ve been looking for a while to build a hopped up 59A and do it right. Unless I witness it running, the days of slapping mystery engines in are over for me. Maybe I’m getting older and wiser. Probably just older. So it’ll get completely disassembled, and measured and I’ll go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.