Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '47 Ford - SBC 327 to Early Ford Transmission - Help Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, May 13, 2021.

1. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I wonder if it's an old racing application for a special flywheel?
    Where there other makes and Models that used the round "early Ford" style bolt pattern?

2. Eddie

Eddie
    from Georgia

Although it seems like overkill for an early Ford transmission, possibly for a dual disc setup. Possibly some early rail dragsters that used high gear only?

3. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Possibly an early in and out box application for sprint car.

4. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Maybe used a Chevy heavy truck flywheel, are some thicker for big trucks?

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

I measured my adapter for 49-53. It looks like 3 3/4 from mating surfaces

axle likes this.
  6. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Thanks so much.

7. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Damn. Okay guys, I'm looking for a 3 3/8 adapter. :-(

Moriarity likes this.
  8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Another fix might be a throwout bearing extension like we used in our Dragster. Early on, clutch cans (bellhousings) were 7-1/2" deep and housed a 2 disc clutch, and later the can depth increased to 8-1/8" to make room for a 3 disc clutch. Both applications utilized a standard early Ford throwout bearing. When running a 2 disc setup in the deep can, it required an extension, sold by clutch manufacturers. I don't remember the brand name we used. I would bet McLeod could help you out. That would take up 5/8", might be enough.

alanp561, Johnny Gee and joel like this.
  9. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

10. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

There is one on ebay for 400.00 polished. Too much $$$. Fair price is $200.00

axle likes this.
  11. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

12. lake_harley

lake_harley

axle...PM sent

Lynn

13. This set up came up on marketplace
    Has a good pic of the pressure plate.
    93B92294-D6E4-44E5-BDF2-3004BC90CA99.jpeg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Got it

15. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Thanks very much. Couldn't find the post. Without that depth measurement of the adapter, it doesn't help me out.

16. axle

axle
    from Drag City

UPDATE: Believe it or not, the saga continues. It turns out that my Aluminum Offy adapter is approx. 3 1/2 inches. Thinking it was too wide, I bought a Wilcap adapter that is the same exact measurement. Bolting everything together, the clutch pedal fully engaged, the original throwout bearing barely touches the Pressure Plate.

To reiterate what I have: 1967 Chevy 327. Offy or Wilcap adapter, Chevy cast iron flywheel, early Ford 10" clutch, and a 1950 Mercury Pressure Plate. I am literally racking my brain on this, and don't know what to do at this point. This set up has probably been done a thousand times.

1. Can the 3 fingers of the Pressure Plate be adjusted a 1/2". ?

2. Are you guys sure there isn't some other throwout bearing that will compensate for the extra needed 1/2 inch?

Any comments, suggestiong are greatly appreciated, Axle

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  17. Just tossing this out there. A throw out bearing for a 3 finger pressure plate is usually shorter than one for a diaphragm pressure plate.
    Don’t know if you can swap the two.
    The diaphragm throw outs are usually shaped different.

18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

@axle does your pressure plate have fingers like this? The one in my 40 does and I believe mine is 11" but my car has a Cadillac

clutchfingers.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. Warmer 1932

Warmer 1932

Ok I have done this many times. With the alum adapter of course u need the chevy 3 hole starter with the correct flywheel. Then Use a 9 inch pressure plate and disc (ford) then have the pressure plate drilled and tapped for the nine inch. After that have it balanced. Speedway motors sells the correct pilot bearing for the end of the crankshaft it’s longer. Use stock throw out bearing. That’s it. Don

20. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Maybe you need a longer clutch adjustment rod....That would put the throwout bearing closer to the pressure plate...

21. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Thanks for your response. This is what I have.

thumbnail-2.jpg thumbnail-3.jpg thumbnail-4.jpg

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  22. My 39 came with an adapter from an unknown manufacturer that uses the a GM cast iron power glide adapter, and an aluminum adapter that bolts to the early for trans. Inside it had a 50 merc pressure plate and a 10 inch clutch disk. I replaced all of it with a pressure plate and clutch disk from wilcap and an old Wilcap adapter i already had. The pressure plate has the same bolt patern as the chevy so no modifications of the fly wheel are needed. If you need any measurements please let me know, i have the entire working assembly in a box and can measure for you. There should no change in the release bearing and the fork from 32 to 48, baring maybe big trucks, but i think those are the same as well. Let me know if you might want to try the chevy to early ford adapter i have and i can ship it to you.

Jason

23. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Thanks Jason, Let me talk to my brother who is assisting with this. It's getting so damn frustrating

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

that pressure plate is the problem. I bought my clutch from the early ford store, they were vending at the LARS swap meet. talk to them, they will have what you need. you need the pressure plate that looks like the one I posted above

25. also when you do get the clutch setup straight, make sure you adjust the linkage, so you have .090 to .100 clearence between the for and the release bearing. its crazy how much this stuff expands when it gets hot and the fingers of the clutch move out a bit when at higher RPM. to tight and the release bearing will start making contact and be completely shot in a short amount of time.

axle likes this.
  26. Hi everybody, I am no expert but the picture Axle posted looks like the clutch disc hub is not fitting up inside the pressure plate and the clutch fingers are down (pressure plate is released). It's almost as if the disc is too big to fit inside the pressure plate or upside down? Picture doesn't look right to me like the hub with the springs should fit inside the opening in the pressure plate, not be trapped underneath. Hard to explain what I mean....

27. @Moriarity is probably right. That basic pressure plate was used in several diffent makes, Its the same diameter, bolt pattern and basic frame for 50 Mercs and some Desotos, Studebaker, and i think a Buick with a straight 8. The difference is in the finger height. I have one that looks just like yours in my 39 now, but have also done it with ones like @Moriarity posted.

Moriarity likes this.
  28. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

That is called a "LONG" brand pressure plate.

29. 6D060870-1550-4C62-8E16-20897E27C1D9.jpeg EA5AB221-31C5-4A35-BFF9-59810953DF8A.jpeg
    Is this (one of em) the style needed?
    The one the OP shown looks more like a 51 merc PP.

30. Eddie

Eddie
    from Georgia

Yes, it does appear that way! Looks as if the disc is not recessed into the pressure plate.
    Eddie