Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Speedway quality again.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, May 19, 2021.

1. Yeah maybe speedway hasn't stopped to check the run of parts from that specific vendor, and thanks to you, they might realize they have an issue and correct it. Personally, I've never had a single problem with speedway. Price says everything. Just like going to the "advanced auto place", the sign says clearly "discount auto parts"

2. Wrench97

Wrench97

Don't take it personal, some guys can't tell a bad weld from a good weld and a picture is educational.
    For some seeing is believing and we all know people that can spot defects no one else can.
    Pictures are not all that hard to post if you would like help just ask there are plenty of folks here that would be willing to help you.

3. Perfect time for this one ;)

[​IMG]

4. 34Larry

34Larry

Parts went back the next day. Did not think of taking pic's.
    I'm well versed in how to take and post pic's. Lesson learned.
    Thanks so so much for your kind word concerning my love. The
    dog is "Oso" he is a Bichon & Poodle, his step sister is Misty also a Bichon.
    He dose not like the '34 and neither does Misty, it is rather loud.:eek:
    Think I'm done on this subject now, enjoyed the replies, even the cryptic ones.o_Oo_O

PS (edit) Oso is "Bear" in Spanish, named by a 5 year old boy of the people I got him from here in the neighbor hood. "Axle" just turned eight and says he is going to buy my 34 and keeps asking how much I want for it. He is Mexican and stops buy at least 3 days a week to just walk around it, and is just a little pistol of a kid. I love the little guy, he's funnier than hell and entertains me to no end.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  5. I think more often it is people ordering the wrong parts or nit picking. My foreman was complaining about Speedway quality on a set of Chevelle headers he ordered.

He was complaining how the 1 3/4" primaries slid and weld into 1 7/8" primaries (he had never seen that before) and that they wouldn't fit hit the firewall, engine mounts etc...

He showed me the photo on Speedway's web site he had orders a set of stepped headers for a Chevelle front clip (clip being the front frame section firewall forward) oval track car. They were racecar parts not intended for street use.

I would also suggest you look at a modern short track car particularly a dirt car fabricated aluminum valve covers/overflow cans, billet aluminum, and titanium parts, clearly no care what so ever for appearance. Check out a Randy LaJoie full
    containment seat https://thejoieofseating.com/

You really think people who are spending 10,000-15,000 dollars on a bare chassis (some are paying far more than that!) then another 10,000 to get it race ready and about another 10,000-15,000 dollars a year just to field it weekly (and that's not even a top level or a tour series car) don't care about about appearance!!

chryslerfan55 and Tman like this.
  6. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

For the record, Speedway is owned and operated by Bill and Joyce’s four sons. I’ve toured the facility a number of times, twice with Speedy Bill. Speedway hosts the Speedster Reunion every other year and operates the 200,000 square foot Museum of American Speed. Looking forward to the reunion next month. Lots of misinformation on this thread.

7. That is scary.

8. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Larry,

You been here a while. You know how it is.

I don't think any of this has to do with HAMB or your 34. You are going through a time and you are angry. I pray for comfort at this time for you and your family. I can't think of anything harder. It is so cruel.

We used to rabbit hunt when I was a teenager. My father bought some beagles from this older fellow. My Dad really did not like the guy. He thought he was mean, a bully, because how he talked to his wife.

That all changed one day. Mt Dad was there and she came outside. That fellow really got on to her, like you would a 3 year old. She went back in and he turned to my Dad with tears in his eyes and said this....

" I would rather die, I would rather be dead than talk to that beautiful lady that way. It's all she understands. If I did not raise my voice, she would just walk off and keep going."

I write these words to let you know others feel it. They care. They love. Sad days are a coming but good ones are coming too.

God Bless you...

nobrakesneeded, Texas57, Tman and 8 others like this.
  9. Don't let everyone get your goat. If you say you got crap quality and no one believes you they just don't believe you. That's really on them.

Speedway actually does have a toll free number. I know that talking to someone on the phone is kind of a 20th Century practice but it still works. Maybe you can get your problem worked out that way.

Maybe @Tim can chime in here, I think he knows some of those guys. He may know if they are having a problem with one of their suppliers. Your parts may not come from the main warehouse but are getting drop shipped from a supplier.

34Larry and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Honestly, I can see many reasons for being curious to see pictures, and not because I think anyone is "lying".

And did you just call a bunch of members you've never met nor seen their work posers? Nice. And why not, you've been here since November! Lmao. I haven't been here 20 years either, but I don't insult guys that have...

Baumi, 46international, XXL__ and 6 others like this.
  11. First: 34Larry didn't want to post pictures, and several on here agree that we can take his word for bad welds. I trust his judgement and reasoning, and see no reason to badger him for lack of photos as some have.
    Second: If I pissed anyone off by using the term "posers", sorry, didn't mean to. Just trying to get the point across that there are some people in the hobby that seem to think they know all about "traditional", when their only knowledge is what they see online and in old magazines. Most of us old farts were there, saw it, did it, and know the reality of it.
    Third: I joined in November, but have been lurking for years. The fact that Larry got so much flack about his opinion of the quality of parts is proof to me that longevity does not equal immunity.
    Sorry for any ruffled feathers!
    Back to regular programming...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

My post is not aimed at anyone! But just because of a differences of opinion on a thing doesn’t make one person wrong and the other right, nor does it make one person a lier.
    One HUGE lesson I learned back in the seventies while I was studying Police Science at North Eastern University went like this. It was taught by a Tulsa PD detective, during one session there was a knock on the classroom door and a man came it and talked to the Detective for a couple of minutes at the front of the class. The man left and then in about 15 minutes the Detective/Instructor told us to get out a piece of paper and describe the man that had come into our classroom 15 minutes earlier! The descriptions varied widely! Very widely!
    My point is views and opinions can vary widely from people viewing the very same thing! I have used this lesson many times in my life.

Pictures become the focal point for critiquing an item here on the forum!

Just my thoughts.

Bones

Last edited: May 23, 2021
    Baumi, Chicster, 210superair and 6 others like this.
  13. 34Larry

34Larry

F-one thank you so much for your kind words and thoughts. Yes I know and fear the future, but I have two wonderful Daughters and Jan's daughter to help with getting through the upcoming rough periods. I cherish the good times with her now more than ever and store them as best I can in my diminishing memory. Just an update, (and I know this is way way OT), no I can't do it right now.

14. Marty Vanin

Marty Vanin

Everybody has different standards on the quality of the parts they pay for. Thing is,what happened to making the customer happy. Speedway is not going to close up because they have to refund Larry his money for a product he is not happy with.

chryslerfan55 and Budget36 like this.

15. This is a Speedway rear spring slider for oval track racing I am running on my vintage oval track stock car build.

They are $40.00 each.

I find that to be one hell of a quality part, I couldn't buy the steel to build these for that price!

I think there are a bunch of people on the loose who expecting a Chip Foose hand built part, without paying Chip Foose money!

upload_2021-5-22_18-21-11.png upload_2021-5-22_18-23-27.png upload_2021-5-22_18-26-9.png

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  16. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the pictures people just wanted to see what you're seeing, man. I didn't take it to mean that anyone thought you were lying or exaggerating. Think about it... what would a HAMB build thread be without pictures? "Hey guys I have a bitchin 33 coupe and Jesus built the flathead, but no pics for you." C'mon... we just wanna see.

I also think quitting because someone gave you hell over your car having a non traditional aspect is a little silly. From what I've seen of it, I think your 34 is cool. I would just shy away from mentioning the non traditional aspects, as many people do.

Either way, I hope for the best for your wife and you.

17. Budget36

Budget36

Then why can’t they get a 100 dollar spreader bar right? ;)

Now if your parts came in with say blown through welds, cold welds on top, mid aligned, etc. how would you feel then?
    But the parts were what you expected them to be, Larry got something that didn’t meet expectations.

18. twenty8

twenty8

@34Larry

As for the spreader bar, you totally have a right to expect a certain minimum standard of quality for parts from any company selling them. The level of quality should indeed be proportional to the money paid, but surely suppliers should maintain an acceptable minimum on behalf of their clients. I don't think that is asking too much.

Regarding your other problems, I have followed along on your other recent threads, and my heart goes out to you. The very same problem has reared it's ugly head in my family, and I am sure, many others here. It is understandable if you are angry at the world right now. You have an unfair share on your plate, but please don't turn your back on the HAMB. We are on your side. Hang around, it may help.

19. I wade an error in the price $ 40.00 each. Yes I would be mad with all the things you with poor welds etc.

However I have been dealing with Speedway for over 20 years both oval track and hot rod and I have never seen any of these problems I know people we have been buy oval track from them for 30-40 years never an issues.

As pointed out it is only the hot rod guys in a particular age group I might add who ever seem to have any issues.

20. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Where’s the pics?

21. Ziggster

Ziggster

It’s a real damn shame that we have to put up with all this crap from overseas. You name, pick anything, 90% is garbage. Just spent days modding a Chinese made bead roller so it could work properly. Knew that going in, as most who do buy them, but again it is just such a damn shame. Only real solution is to bring back all manufacturing to NA.

Magfiend, chryslerfan55 and stanlow69 like this.
  22. primed34

primed34

OP said he sent both back before he thought to take pics.

23. 5window

5window

Sadly, it's not just crap from overseas. Plenty of crap made right here in the USA (sorry, North America). A lot of the issue is how things are ordered. Instead of ordering a part made to a certain standard and the figuring out what the price needs to be, the manufacturer is told to make an item to a certain price point. That, plus an indifferent work force, leads to poor parts from anywhere.

24. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

The most accurate phrase I've seen in a while " indifferent workforce" so easy to say you care about doing a good job but so few do......unfortunately I don't expect this trend will ever reverse itself. However If you find quality work or Sevice do YOUR BEST Ato support that work and tell as many people as you can. It's our only hope.

25. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

My experience, for what it's worth. Speedway stuff is generally good enough for the price. Their big weakness (IMHO) is in the packaging of stuff. This grille had 2 pieces of paper just stuffed into the box. Really? On the flipside, Speedway was most excellent in handling the return/refund.

stanlow69 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. manyolcars

manyolcars

buy Speedways disc brake kit for 57-60 F100 or just read my thread

27. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And, that's all gas welding!!!

28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

They are trying to you something. Leave your grille alone that`s in it.

29. Personally, I just like pictures of crappy welds and workmanship. Makes me feel better about my own...

30. You can very easily buy a bead roller made in NA but you along with everyone else don't want to pay what it costs to buy one.
    You can't bitch about wanting quality stuff not made overseas and then buy cheap shit made overseas because it is cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app