Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 8" drive shaft questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, May 22, 2021.

1. topher5150

topher5150

So I picked up an unknown drive shaft today for my car today. I remember the guy who rebuilt my diff say that there is drive shaft for 8" and 9" Ford diffs. I put the drive shaft in and it sits on two dimples on the diff yoke. Are the bearings supposed be between them or on top as pictured.

Also is the slip yoke to far out of my C4? It doesn't have the slip yoke gasket. IMG_20210522_130555472.jpeg IMG_20210522_130700105.jpeg

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Budget36

Budget36

The cups should be inside the nubs. Probably just needs a different u-joint.

Also, that yoke looks too far out. Or is it an extended one maybe?

mgtstumpy and jimmy six like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

looks like the driveshaft is too short, and the Ujoint is too wide for the yoke on the rearend.

4. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

Looks like a wear spot from the seal on the yoke about 2-1/2" back from the trans housing. Either an awful long slip yoke or its about to fall out.

Hnstray, jimmy six and olscrounger like this.

5. topher5150

topher5150

It's about 4"-5" longer than the aftermarket slip yoke that I have

6. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When you put in the correct yoke clean it up with some crocus cloth before installing. All the rust and crud will kill the trans output seal in short order.

7. As prevous replies stated, the U-joint cups fit down inside those little tabs on the yoke. Yours is too wide or the cups are not fully seated on the cross piece. How much does your driveshaft yoke go in to the trans? It should go in until bottomed out and then back out about 3/4 to 1 inch. That is the way to measure, your driveshaft may be too short as it is if the yoke is not in the tailshaft enough. X2 clean that yoke surface so it is clean and smooth.

squirrel likes this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

Good point on the caps, pull them carefully and make sure there’s not a roller or three laying in there keeping them from going all the way on.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This first. Make sure that you don't have some needles out of place.
    If that isn't the case and the cups are the right size to fit the yoke the cross is probably too wide for your yoke. In the simplest terms, there are several different size U joints that fit different 8 and 9 inch Ford rear axle applications depending on what the rear end was in and what engine/trans combo they had in the car. One cannot assume that just because it fits one 8 inch it will fit all eight inch rear yokes.

Same on the front yoke, There are several that fit different Ford applications and you would be wise to use the one that came with the trans and find or have a correct length driveshaft made.

Budget36 likes this.

10. Ford used basically two Spicer-type u-joints on their 8"/9" rear axles. The 1330 was used on all 8" and some light-duty 9" applications, the 1350 on all the rest of the 9". The difference is the width, your driveshaft is fitted with the 1350. You can buy a 'conversion' 1330 to 1350 u-joint from multiple vendors to mate the two types.
    U-Joints - Spicer 1330 to Spicer 1350 combination Universal Joint Style - 1.188 in. Bearing Cap Diameter (in.) Axis 2 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Looks like you may need a new or better trans slip yoke... As noted, it should be pushed in all the way, then pulled out about 1" to determine driveshaft length.

Truckdoctor Andy and topher5150 like this.
  11. topher5150

topher5150

As pictured the yoke is about 4.5" to the u joint center. The length of the shaft is 50" center to center. I tried putting the new slip yoke on the drive shaft but it was to narrower than the other one.
    Getting the length will be easy, but if there is a u joint that's narrower on one side that might work to IMG_20210522_154240314_HDR.jpeg

12. squirrel

squirrel

Pay close attention to these two posts...they are telling you the correct way to measure for driveshaft length.

topher5150 likes this.
  13. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What others have said, to which I'll add that the uj cups into the diff yoke are a very snug fit, possibly requiring a gentle whack from a rubber mallet. If they go in very easily and feel like they are correct but have a small amount of clearance they will be the smaller ones and will destroy themselves in very short order. I'll spare you the story of how I learned this, but I got to replace a lot of uj's before finding this out!

Chris

14. Marty Vanin

Marty Vanin

A lot of Fords used the smaller 1310 series u joints and there is a conversion joint 1310 to 1330 series. This is just info.That driveshaft is way too short.

RMR&C, squirrel and Turnipseed like this.
  15. Turnipseed

Turnipseed

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    topher5150 likes this.
  16. long island vic

long island vic

that's a 1330 on the shaft a ND a1310 on the yoke.......,some 9 one came with a 5 .4900 joint

17. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To make matters more confusing, for whatever reason, some Ford 8 and 9 rears sometimes came with a yoke that took a joint with 1-1/8" caps. This is the Ford "big cap" joint. Two of the caps are 1-1/16" and the ones that go on the pinion yoke are 1-1/8". It is otherwise like a 1310. They are not interchangeable.

The very top picture looks like a big cap joint, in a regular 1310 pinion yoke.

Measure that cap.

squirrel likes this.
  19. southcross2631

southcross2631

Guys always trying to save a buck by buying some junk yard driveshaft of unknown vehicle.
    Take it to driveshaft shop get the correct front yoke and see if he has a driveshaft stretcher because yours too short. he will probably have the correct ujoint too.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  20. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

As stated before clean and oil the yoke before installing into your trans. I shove the yoke all the way in and mark it with a SHARPIE then pull it out to desired clearance. With some kind of mark on the yoke you at least know where the hell your at !

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. I completely agree with Mike. Earlier in my career, I built drive lines in St.Louis. Most people have no idea how fragile a driveshaft really is, if you clamp it in a vise for u-joints, you bent it, is it dented? It’s bent. Good driveshaft work isn’t cheap, but it’s much better and easier than chasing some weird vibration or noise. With a junkyard shaft, you have no idea how it was handled and most guys have no way to correctly measure runout to see if the shaft is straight and true. Driveshaft repair is very common in the heavy duty truck world, if you need to find a driveline shop, nationwide, there is a company called Inland Truck Parts that does driveline work.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Hnstray likes this.