Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Best scene in American Graffiti

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38fordpickup, May 11, 2021.

1. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

2. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

You do know why John died?
    It was in the script.;)

chryslerfan55 and Nicholas Coe like this.
  3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Isn't Milner in More American Graffiti ?

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yes

5. Yes,,,,,that is the one he is killed off in .
    Looking down the long straight stretch,,,,,,his car is being stalked by the weaving drunk drivers car coming towards his .
    Very dramatic ,,,,,,you know what is coming .
    In that movie,,,,,several scenes are played out a few years apart,,,,,Toad is missing in a different year from Johns death.
    It was a good movie,,,,but hard to keep up with,,,,,the timeline,,,,that is.

Tommy

6. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

You're right. John was killed as he was leaving the track. Toad and Little Joe went to Vietnam where Toad went missing after trying to wound himself a few times to get out of the Army.
    For those who haven't seen "More American Graffiti", Look at what I found. John's crash picks up around 28:00 in the video.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  7. A little bit of Milner lives on in anyone who claims to be a hot-rodder.:)

8. Call me crazy if you will, but that little "lurch" when they take off from the light after "destroying" the Caddy makes my day every time I see it again.:D

9. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

You're crazy.....have always liked that too.:)

10. bedwards

bedwards

I liked a lot of them but the one that stuck with me and maybe because of my age was the parking scene with the Flamingos singing "I only have eyes for you" in the back ground. I would go back to that time in a heartbeat.

11. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I’m not a Chebbie guy , but the 55 blasting down the city street , is it for me , Boy !

54delray, 31hotrodguy, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  12. That was a beautiful song,,,,,,George Lucas himself picked every song for every scene .
    He was a young man that had a very bright future ahead of himself,,,,,a genius really .
    He’s worth a fortune now,,,,,,earned every bit of it,,,what a talent .

Tommy

13. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

The American Graffiti soundtrack of 41 songs is still available on CD from Amazon and probably other places. I have it downloaded into my digital music library and listen to it either all together or it is shuffled in with other music. Great music for the shop or in car traveling.

14. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

15. Great interview! Thanks for sharing. I've never seen this before. LeMat is really open about how he felt about a lot of things in the process of making the movie. Fun to watch.

16. 97

It was there in Black and white!

17. sidewayzz69

sidewayzz69

Talking about the 32 lurching. I read somewhere that the builder of the car put a hyd clutch from a gmc truck. Had some issues with it.

18. wicarnut

wicarnut

Flathead Dave, Thank You ! for posting the American Graffiti 2, John Milner. I never saw this and enjoyed watching it. Great way to start the day with my coffee, Thanks !

19. George

George

Have in on vinyl. Reportedly the fees to use the music cost more than the whole film did.

20. The '32 had many problems during filming. It was one of the most memorable parts of the car for Milner. He said it was extremely difficult to get the car into gear.

At one point they even cut the T-10 transmission out of the car through the floor during filming. I guess they didn't have enough time to remove it properly.

Falfa commented that racing the '32 wasn't very fun. He said that he practically had to coast the '55 in the stoplight scene. The '32 was having transmission and engine problems and was no match for the professionally built '55.

If you watch More AG closely you will see that by this time the '32 was in terrible shape. It had sat outdoors/indoors at the studio lot for several years. The carbs were very rusty and the interior was falling apart.

1. Here's a rare pic of the '32 being pushed into position for a scene.

2. Notice the rags over the carbs in this scene from More AG. On%20The%20Set.jpeg More%20A%20Graffiti%20coupe%20and%20dragster%20and%20john_kip.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. sidewayzz69

sidewayzz69

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  22. sidewayzz69

sidewayzz69

That's good info there. The 55 was also used in two lane blacktop

23. Thanks! Yes. That was an outstanding movie too! tapatalk_1579241535334.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. sidewayzz69

sidewayzz69

I think they used 3 55s for filming 2 lane. One sold att auction couple years back.
    There is a interview on YouTube with James Taylor and Monte Helman you should watch.

25. 97

making movies ag 2.png in the movie, but from another perspective.

26. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Part of a 3" aviation seat belt tied to a length of hemp rope around the A pillar.....OSHA was only two years old then but probably would have crapped their pants on that one.:D

DSC01033.JPG

97, 54delray, 31hotrodguy and 7 others like this.
  27. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Girl in the T-Bird is Suzanne Somers[​IMG][​IMG]

28. 97

She thought the movie was kinda dumb, and she didn't understand it! She didn't appreciate the impact of the movie until it got her on the Johnny Carson Show...and the rest is history. Her story is really quite inspiring how she dragged herself from gutter to the world stage.

29. Very cool story.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  30. George

George

Her husband eventually bought her one.