Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods NHRA Moving Out Of California

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, May 19, 2021.

1. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

2. Deuces

Deuces

3. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Many places are downsizing as they have found some staff can work remotely, thus saving on overhead. California is an expensive place to do business, and a more central location for a national business may make sense also.

4. Who needs an expensive office building when your employees can work from home? That's what I do, 80% of my work week is at my kitchen table.

5. The majority of the pro teams are already in Indianapolis, I'm surprised it took this long. They have more races in the east and south than they do on the west coast.

6. Indiana is slowly and quietly taking over the world:)

7. .....Indiana wants R. Dean Taylor.:)

quick85, razoo lew, loudbang and 4 others like this.

8. Lord, I can’t go back there….

ottoman, quick85, irishsteve and 12 others like this.
  9. ................."Outside the law is comin', I'm just getting so tired of runnin""

10. mickeyc

mickeyc

Will that be the end of the museum? Since Wally Parks passed
    I have been thinking it may close. More Drag Strips being closed,
    Atlanta and this weekend is the last at Baytown. I read that The NHRA
    has slashed purse money as well. Might the NHRA go the way of the rodders
    journal. I hope not. I am thinking that motorsports as well as motor
    hobbies such as ours, will become a target of the "woken" world so
    prevalent these days. YUCK!

11. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

All well run businesses have to continually evaluate cost versus benefit. California arguably was once considered the center of the hot rod car culture and it made sense for the NHRA to be located there. California has enacted laws, environmental mandates and taxes making it difficult for a car culture business to be profitable or even exist. There are only a couple options, either go out of business or move to an area that costs less to operate and where your business is appreciated and may possibly be offered incentives. California and New York seem to be trying to run businesses out of their states with higher taxes and finally people have said enough is enough.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  12. I had to look that up, before my time. Most of what i listen to is from before my time but I have never heard of him or that song:D

13. 2935ford

2935ford

Indianapolis.......a good spot for NHRA.

5window, pbr40, Weedburner 40 and 4 others like this.
  14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Reading the article all the way though it looks like the main thing is that they just flat don't need that much space anymore. Just stop and think how many file cabinets you personally would need to store all of the pages you have stored on your hard drive in your computer if you had every one printed out on paper.
    That and when everything was handled on paper and on the phone it took a lot more staff to keep up with it than it does now.
    I'd have to agree that the cost of doing business in California may have something to do with it including the simple fact that having a smaller building will cut costs in several ways when they no longer need all the space.

16. This is correct.

Deuces, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sonny used to sit behind my wife in hi school in English class in 1951.

18. loudbang

loudbang

19. I also think that the fact that they probably realized that people can telework and still get the job done. That means a smaller capital investment in real property. I have seen that in some local businesses and see gov of all levels probably getting ready to do the same thing.

loudbang, Just Gary and Deuces like this.
  20. chopped

chopped

Wait till they spend a winter there, then see.

21. They need to hire native Hoosiers who are already acclimated to cold.

22. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

If you go back and look at the adds in Hot Rod in the early 50`s. The majority of them were in California. With Indiana being second. With the next state way down the chart as far as numbers.

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  23. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

If you read the article they give a couple good reasons - re-evaluation of how much office space they need, and healthy tax incentives from the state of Indiana. I would add that a centrally located main office makes sense for an industry that is nationwide. It does say they'll keep a presence in California, just not as many people.

While it's not good news for the state of California (since they'll lose some tax revenue) I don't see where it will affect drag racing, other than the nostalgia factor of them having always been in SoCal.

loudbang, pbr40, Joe Travers and 3 others like this.
  24. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

They'll have the Winter Nationals there.

scotty t, -Brent-, chopped and 2 others like this.
  25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Indiana winters are a piece of cake.....

26. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Indiana winters are a piece of Baskin-Robbins frozen cake.....

vtx1800, belair, Budget36 and 8 others like this.
  27. Doesn’t the NHRA own Raceway Park,,,,,they used to,,,,,the US Nationals was always there .
    I’m assuming they have leased the naming rights out for revenue ?
    There was always a lot of good parts at the swap meets there,,,,,,Indiana boys always had a lot of Mopar racing pieces,,,,good stuff.
    I haven’t been in years,,,,but it was a great venue,,,,with a very large turnout !
    It might not be California,,,,,but it was a hot bed of racing,,,,real car guys there .

Tommy

28. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

It will also save money sending staff to cover and run national events. There are more races in the East, South and Central states.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  29. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I think I just heard that NC gov is proposing a 40 million dollar bill to up-date, re instate race tracks, like North Wilkesboro, and some drag strips too.o_O

30. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

This is not true one bit! Lmao

Deuces and scotty t like this.