Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1963 Comet gasser freak

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B Ramsey, May 19, 2021.

1. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

Son (21) dropped this off in the yard. One of his Navy buddies gave it to him. Seems to have a healthy motor in it, he says its a 289. front axle is from a 2WD Jeep Cherokee or something. needs a bit of work to make it driveable. I dont hate it.

Attached Files:

2. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

I do hate how the front axle is mounted, I would prefer U-Bolts around the axle. It looks like one good hit and the whole thing will rip off. Also we need to figure out how to attach the steering. that Pitman arm needs to be destroyed before anyone else sees it.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

Deuces, catdad49 and Joe Travers like this.
  3. Knock the rough edges off of it and you will have something. Free tho? Deployment?

4. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

yup deployment. He has stumbled onto a source of free stuff, you could say.

5. We used get that at EAFB when the flaps shipped out. Lotta good deals and cars left at the Auto shop on Base.

Joe Travers likes this.
  6. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Love the early Comets. Lots of cars used period Econoline axles back in the day to get some drop.

Had a friend out of high school pick up a '61 bubbletop Impala dual-quad 409 back in the '70s from a deployed airman from EAFB. One bad ride.

Joe

Last edited: May 19, 2021
    Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  7. catdad49

catdad49

Can’t beat the price! Check out the Black Betty Comet that runs with the Southeast Gassers, it will give you an idea of how great this one could be. Clean up the front suspension and make it safe, Enjoy.

Tow Truck Tom, Deuces and Joe Travers like this.
  8. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Also two early Comet gassers running in Straight Axle Mafia. I love the '61.

[​IMG]

Joe

9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check out Orange County Craigslist. There is a guy advertising all kinds of early Econoline parts. IIRC he had at one point a straight axle assembly for sale.

Joe Travers likes this.
  10. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

That would be perfect for OP's car, IMO. Get the nose down a bit for period correct look. Exaggerated effects may be the thing now? IDK.

Joe

loudbang likes this.
  11. ampsbad41

ampsbad41
    from Texas

have a dumb question I have a chance to get a stock 63 comet is that the original frame that is stubbed out I have not seen the car so I am thinking of doing same thing as you have here

Deuces likes this.