Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Riley 4 Port Alloy Head

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MarkF, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Glad to see you are making progress. I found myself in a similar banger situation last year... and wound up machining mine from round bar.

Cool stuff is never easy... That’s what makes bangers special;)
    037A3F00-2E35-437E-9EC1-7B335F13913E.jpeg

2. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Thanks for the update!

3. brading

brading

Glad to see you making progress Mark

Very nice piece of work there Kevin

4. MarkF

MarkF

Fantastic work Kevin! Anything is possible!

seb fontana and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. brading

brading

Amazing machine work there Kevin. Well done.

6. noboD

noboD

MarkF, how close are you to running the engine? It's good to see progress.

7. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Mark,
    You are dedicated…and did good !
    That racer of yours is a beauty and original patina looking… love it !!
    Any racing history you know of to share ?
    Rick.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. MarkF

MarkF

Hi Rick, I've been busy researching and building with gusto. This is the closest I've gotten to on the history front, Joie Ray in what looks very like the car I have.

Rockers and shafts now machined, remaining work includes drilling the oil galleries etc. Getting there one step at a time.

Mark.

Attached Files:

9. Dan from Oakland

Dan from Oakland

Just to clarify a point- the postwar 4 ports used a small cup over the valve spring that the rocker arm made contact with rather than the rocker arm tip bearing directly on the valve stem. This took all the side load off of the valve stem.
    I'm not sure if the Vesco or Butler heads were set up this way or not, but it would be great if someone could confirm this.

chryslerfan55, MarkF and The37Kid like this.
  10. PaulCB

PaulCB

I am piggybacking on this very informative thread about Riley OHV's.
    I am the lucky owner of a 31 Ford roadster fitted with a Riley 4-port head. It was built and raced in vintage groups on the USWC 15 years ago. I've run it as a street car past 5 years, competing in Hot Rod hill climbs and (dirt) drags here in Colorado. The engine is a B-block with pressurized oil; it used twin Winfield cards and a Wico mag.
    I emphasize that I bought the car complete and have only made cosmetic changes and routine servicing-my technical knowledge is limited!!
    Reason for this post. The head gasket has blown; at least I'm hoping that's the extent of the problem. I've stripped off the ancillaries-magneto, fuel and external oil lines; throttle linkage; alternator/pump belt. Plugs are removed and all the head nuts removed in a progressive sequence. All that remains attached to the head is the water pump, which I believe is a V8 pump, and the valve gear. What of this needs to be removed-if any-before the head should lift off? At the moment the head isn't loose, but I haven't applied any pressure yet to lift it before I know what else might be securing it to the block.
    Hoping that this group can advise me.
    Thanks all.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and MarkF like this.
  11. Valve gear needs to be removed. There is a head bolt under it. I would also remove the pump. When it goes back together torque all head bolts then assemble valve train. After first and second warmup run head bolts will need retorqued. Valve train needs to be removed to do this. Big pain in the ass but it needs done. A cast iron head weighs around 80 pounds. I would also remove intake manifold . Can I ask what size Winfields. Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    chryslerfan55, loudbang and The37Kid like this.
  12. fourd

fourd
    from Colorado

I remember this car I was at the starting line at the HRHC. Such rad car!
    62 pan is right.
    Call Steve Serr Miller Hi Speed head and buy a Best gasket and use copper coat and torque 3 times. I have one and I never “lug” it and I learned the torque curve.
    My Winfield’ C’s run best in a box I put them in. Still much to learn about such a simple carb. High elevation is my excuse.
    Brieley makes a cam for this head that will wind past 5k my friend will attest this rpm will loosen the flywheel.

my excuse

winduptoy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. PaulCB

PaulCB

Thanks for the advice. That job will wait til next week and I'm sure there'll be an update to post here-hopefully a positive one. I cant see any markings on the carbs to confirm the size so I'll measure them when i take the manifold off. Here's photos of them in situ.

Attached Files:

14. PaulCB

PaulCB

The spare gasket I'll be fitting comes from H Speed, and I'll need couple of spares so be ordering again.
    Thanks for the advice and kind words. Sorry we're missing the HRHC again this year, but the only blessing is that i can take my time repairing the head

Attached Files:

• HRHC.jpg
      HRHC.jpg
      File size:
      429.2 KB
      Views:
    chryslerfan55 and MarkF like this.
  15. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Over the weekend at the RPM Drags I talked to Max Jr from H&H Antique Engine Rebuilding. He acquired all George Butlers Riley Patterns,Heads ( In various in Stages) and parts. He is probably going to sell complete kits next year.

chryslerfan55 and The37Kid like this.
  16. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Cool! I found 3 over the weekend!

17. Thomas Hurt

Thomas Hurt

Hi my name is Tom and I am putting together the same head. Do you know what king of carburetors you are running? I have two, 2" Flynn's I my run on mine. Depending on which way you turn your manifold, you can run side draft, or down draft. Do you know anything about Flynn's?

18. Look it over carefully. My concern would be that every good casting would have been machined. I think I would check Charlie Price of Vintage Speed as I remember him making some 4 port Riley's in the past. Check out Charlie Price on the various forums I could be wrong but I think I remember a few negative comments about him.

Charlie Stephens

19. Rick M. Louvers

Rick M. Louvers

You may be thinking of Charlie Yapp...secrets of speed/ scalded dog

20. deucemac

deucemac

It might be worth a try to contact Rick Vesco. George Riley owed John Vesco(Rick's father) money when he passed. John got the patterns and tooling as payment. He had the raw casings done and his friend and one time partner, Fred Lobello did all the finish machining on everything. Rick and I talked about his dad, Fred, and the Rileys when we attended the Dry Lakes Hall of Fame, and Rick was inducted. I didn't know John, but Fred was a dear friend of mine for over 40 years. If you contact the SCTA, they might be able to help locate Rick. I know he owns a large motorcycle dealership in Brigham City Utah.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for the history lesson deucemac ! The Riley 4Port powered Vesco tank was featured in one of the very early issues of Hot Rod I bought back in 1961-62.

22. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Max Jr at H&H Antique Engine Rebuilding has the Riley, ButlerVesco patterns.

23. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Gee, that roadster looks familiar.

george1.jpeg
    I typeset and composed (real type!) the first Antique Ford Parts "catalog" for Rick James decades ago. Pre this one.

We listed . . .
    Vulcan Part #201, Stromberg Carburetor to Winfield Manifold
    Vulcan Part #102, Winfield Carburetor to Stromberg Manifold
    or something along those lines. Just turn it around when you show the customer -- you get the idea. This was pre-1972 when I was a hot metal newspaper printer.

24. 51 mercules

51 mercules

It sure does!

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Old cast iron Riley 4Port vs. a later OR reproduction, are there major differences, or is it just easier to cast aluminum?

26. 51 mercules

51 mercules

You're probably right! Not sure of the differences? Also easier to find a reproduction than original.

27. alchemy

alchemy

It's way easier to cast aluminum. Many more aluminum foundries than iron, and cheaper.

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

I remember my original cast iron Riley 4Port was really heavy for its size, must have been a good blend of material.

29. Thomas Hurt

Thomas Hurt

30. Thomas Hurt

Thomas Hurt

In this picture it shows pressurized oil inlets. Where dose the oil return. My 4 port does not have returns. Where are yours? [email protected]