Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Southeast Gassers 65 Comet Super Stock Wagon

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by southcross2631, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Weedburner

Weedburner
    from Wa State

If you have a lathe and a MIG welder, it's not that hard to faceplate a Toploader. My car is OT, but the transmission is a faceplated '65 390 Galaxie Toploader. Here's a link, about 2/3 of the way down the page there's a section with details and pics on the faceplating, also some info about installing internal shift rail stop collars to keep from breaking the stock shift forks...
    http://grannys.tripod.com/20102.html

Grant

2. loudbang

loudbang

WOW what a hot little sleeper.

chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  3. southcross2631

southcross2631

Looking at going to a 6.33 gear after the next race. Will be pulling the toploader tomorrow and getting started tearing it down.

4. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Interesting project to follow along with!
    Best of luck
    Jimbo

loudbang likes this.
  5. southcross2631

southcross2631

Talked to the cam guy at Howard's cams and he agreed that I was not working the motor hard enough with the cam that I have.
    I will be changing the gear and if I don't see a big improvement then a cam change is in order.

6. southcross2631

southcross2631

Thanks, I went on your website and saw some really cool stickers from my past racing.
    I saw Motor City Dragway sticker. I spent almost every weekend there in 1969.

7. caper

caper
    from Cape Cod

When I had the can't shift problem with my Fords I found it to be a clutch release problem - at high rpm the clutch was not releasing and the trans wouldn't come out of previous gear. Air gap was too small.

8. southcross2631

southcross2631

Even after I let completely out of the throttle it was still stuck in 2nd gear. I had to get under the car and pry the the shifter rod to get it it to come out of gear.
    I am going to take a close look at the shifter. It was given to me and there could be some wear or the spring is getting weak. Or the shift detent could have some wear or I bent a shift fork.
    I appreciate the suggestion but this had nothing to do with the clutch adjustment. I am just glad you are following along.
    I will have the transmission out and apart and we will see what the issue is.
    My hood scoop showed up today. I decided to just go ahead and go to Speedway and or their GT350 Mustang hood scoop. My buddy Fiddle Picker has one on his Malibu and it looks awesome.
    I will paint it black and rivet it on after I cut a hole in the hood. Need to get some foam to seal the hood off to the air cleaner base.

9. loudbang

loudbang

Miss fiddle picker he had some good posts. Hasn't been on the HAMB since last Christmas.:(

Thor1 and 48fordnut like this.
  10. southcross2631

southcross2631

He has been super busy building his 67 Malibu for S/S. I will tell him that he is missed.
    We would call each other and we would be doing the same thing on our cars and not even know it.
    That happened all the way through the build. Check out the Sega site they just posted about 500 pictures of the race in Alabama. If you want to watch you can go to the website and watch it for $ 9.95 on pay per view.

11. southcross2631

southcross2631

Cut a hole in my hood and drilled a bunch of holes to mount my scoop. No turning back now.

12. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Was wondering what happened with video production. PPV good business sense.
    Will be watching. Good luck!

Joe

loudbang likes this.
  13. southcross2631

southcross2631

The hole in my hood. The scoop mocked up. Got to sand it and paint it and bolted on. It came white. 20210514_163930.jpeg 20210514_181353.jpeg

Sent from my SM-A505U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. AmishMike

AmishMike

Love the car & concept but car looked better with headlight screen & pipes to carb... more S/S like

pivir123, alanp561 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. southcross2631

southcross2631

As soon as I can afford to buy a Crites hood with the Thunderbolt tear drop i will replace the present one.
    There isnt enough room between the carb and the hood to build a big enough air box to run the size hoses I need. The last time with 3 inch hoses were a restriction. Everytime you revved the engine up it sucked the hoses toward the carb. I need minimum 4 inch hoses ,but want 5 inch hoses.
    I hope this explains why I bought a 55 dollar hood scoop instead of a 500 dollar hood. Of course if you would like to help sponsor the car I can give you my address and you could call Crites and have it delivered.

16. I like the scoop. Are you going to have a carb “pan” to seal the carb to the hood? That’s what I did on my bracket car.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  17. 6sally6

6sally6

Wonder if........a "carb pan" mounted UNDER the carb base isolating/insulating it from the engine heat would be worth the trouble. o_O
    Lil Merc has a pretty tiny engine compartment and that 'souped-up' "289" generates a bunch of heat.
    Pan could act as insulation from the engine AND seal the carb to the scoop!!
    Good place to "pack ice" between rounds too!
    6sally6

pivir123, alanp561 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Would be if you can work around the plumbing.

The teardrop hood is ultimate heat vent but you can remove the rear hood seal and cock the hinges up a bit to vent some heat in a pinch. Old pre-'64 factory Ford trick for the Galaxies.

Joe

19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have picked up 3 tenths on two separate cars in the quarter by sealing the carburetor to the hood and open in the back with the back of the hood jacked up. Poor mans cowl induction. ;)

pivir123, Joe Travers, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  20. Agreed. Cooler air = More HP.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

21. greybeard360

greybeard360

A friend has a OT car that he drag races. We fabbed up an air box that sealed to the hood and firewall. We removed the wiper motor and mounting plate which left a 5X10 hole into the air intake just below the windshield just like the Nascar guys do.

The car slowed down.

We tried jetting up and down but never changed ET or MPH. Removed the box and car picked back up. Never figured that one out.

22. rlsteel

rlsteel

I race a 340 Cuda that picked up 3 tenths by removing the K and N filter.

chryslerfan55 and AHotRod like this.
  23. southcross2631

southcross2631

It's like you guys are in my head. Maybe that's the voices I hear. I just talked to my wife about shimming the back of the hood to get it up so the hot air can escape. Yes there will be an air pan and foam rubber sealing off the hood.

24. loudbang

loudbang

I tested my Cobrajet back to back all on the same day same everything else, first using two under the front bumper scoops and 4 inch hoses to a stock air cleaner with two four inch tubes brazed in.

Then CJ style hood scoop with open air cleaner base sealed to hood.

Then hole in scoop closed off with tape and open air cleaner bottom not sealed to hood.

Results were both the under bumper and the CJ scoop (regular version not the big Boss version) gaining 2 tenths reduction in ET both improved the ET the Exact same amount over no scoop.

25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The shape of the carburetor pan will have a big effect on how well it works. If it has a bunch of sharp right angles you may as well just leave it off.

loudbang and Joe Travers like this.
  26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

This one was made out of a road sign and the base from one of the Moroso good air breathers.
    20150612_180314.jpg
    20150612_180832.jpg

27. southcross2631

southcross2631

This is not my first rodeo fella's. I bought a nice air cleaner base that has a rounded pan to help with air flow. I am going to a shop that specializes in foam they have different densities . So I can pick the thickness and density to make the seal . I will buy a block of foam and use my electric knife to form the piece that will go from the base to the hood.

28. southcross2631

southcross2631

Hood scoop bolted on used stainless button head bolts and plastic insert lock nuts.
    Now I need to shim the back of the hood and go see the foam cutter shop. 20210518_092530.jpeg 20210518_092521.jpeg

Sent from my SM-A505U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

pivir123, AHotRod, brEad and 9 others like this.
  29. southcross2631

southcross2631

After bolting it down it made me wonder if it wouldn't have worked better if I had put it on backwards like a cowl induction hood. Of course the rules say no cowl hoods.

chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  30. AmishMike

AmishMike

Ran a car with raised rear of hood. Also allowed us to mount a fuel pressure gauge at edge of hood driver could see. Legal because outside driver area. Check if pressure dropped end of 1/4 mile run