Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do with your car today? * NEW*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by j hansen, May 3, 2020.

1. lake_harley

lake_harley

I used the kick panel as a headrest a lot of the time. My hip was more sore than neck and shoulders just from squeezing in and out over and over.

Lynn

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Got my 65 Custom 500 from out of storage from behind my moms garage,was not planning on driving it this summer but one of my daily drivers needs a new core support and other work so I will drive it to work all summer which gives me plenty of time to work on the other vehicle.

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Did some investigation to figure out where the play was in my steering wheel on my '39 Chev coupe. Everything is brand new, but changing directions while turning the steering wheel, or making steering corrections it had pretty good slack before feeling resistance.
    Turned out the DD solid shaft slides up inside the internal DD GM column output, and enough slop between the two to allow a sloppy feel. Since the first steering joint is about 6" from the column I got out the mig and put a good tack on both sides of the column where the DD shaft fits inside it. No more sloppy steering and it feels great driving now!
    This bolt that holds the shaft inside the column does nothing to keep it tight, so now it's welded and the bolt doesn't do anything really.

[​IMG]

4. Caprice89

Caprice89

Took off the ragtop of my off-topic Oldsmobile. Give you a hint: scissor top. The worst.

Sent from my online shouting device

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I recently had one of those tops that the frame was so screwed up I could not fix it and will never touch one again that needs frame repair.

chryslerfan55 and Caprice89 like this.
  6. Finished the hook for the newish ('76 Olds) hood latch on my '47. Latch worked out good. Still need to decide if I'm going to use the Ford cable or make a lever release. I like these Olds latches as they have a ratcheting catch that makes them easy to use for both hoods and trunks. Then I started the hood extension with a support for the sheet metal. Kinda ugly looking in the picture, tho.
    hook.jpg support.jpg

7. topher5150

topher5150

What other cars did these come off of, or similar systems?

8. You know; I have no idea. I noticed how they worked when I had a '76 Cutlass and later harvested several off '76 and '77 Supremes out in the junkyard; never really looked at other cars. Those Olds are probably not so common in the yards now.

topher5150 likes this.
  9. Moved it out of the garage so I could try and organize a winter's worth of junk collecting .

Attached Files:

10. topher5150

topher5150

Let's see what kind of trouble I can get myself into

Does anyone know how to hot wire a duraspark II Ford???

IMG_20210512_202302126.jpeg

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and blowby like this.
  11. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Found a bad connection in the wiring harness, soldered all the connections up and set the voltage regulator for 14.5 and that 454 fires right up, I hardly even hear the starter.. What a difference a couple splices can make..

TrailerTrashToo and RICH B like this.
  12. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Put a new secondary bowl on to replace a leaky one. Drive to pick up a buddy for some bar hopping/test drive Wednesday night, and on M50 the car has a little puff of smoke inside. We both know I was working on the carb and we start freaking out, "WE'RE ON FIRE! OH SHIT!", whip the damn shoebox into a driveway. Pop hood. Nothin...
    We scratch head, keep driving, drives fine all night.

Go to drive it to work this morning, fine till the highway, then poof. Smoke again. Definitely exhaust. Damnit. When my foots into the pedal for a consistent amount of time, it's coming in the car.... Gotta be the cutouts. We’ll see tonight.

chryslerfan55 and High test 63 like this.
  13. Had a good friend ask if we could use my 56 to "deliver" his daughter to her wedding which was a new one on me. Anyway, I was obviously honored to be able to help so decided I should fix a few little things that I have been putting off like an oil leak, etc. So, since I haven't been driving it a whole lot lately, I decided to take it to the store and to pick up my daughter from work last night. It had only been since the beginning of the week since I drove it previously and other than the short list of things I knew I needed to fix, everything was working fine. So, I drove to the store and went in to get oil for an oil change before going to pick up my daughter. I jumped in the car to head to pick her up and turned the key to hear click...click... After my son came to my rescue with some jumper cables and tools, I think I found it to just be a connection issue at the starter solenoid. Glad to find this kind of stuff prior to the wedding next weekend. Pretty sure I will take the Thunderbird to the wedding too though...just in case. Would hate to be the cause of ruining a young ladies big day. :eek:

14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Better make sure and get that all sealed up, carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless, and deadly.

chryslerfan55 and 210superair like this.
  15. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Definitely. Luckily in an old flathead, exhaust that accompanies it is stinky, and smokey! Lol.

But yes, my first thought was "well this is not safe in any manner at all....", popped all the windows before limping home. It only comes in if I'm really hitting the gas pedal. Coming thru the floor by the shifter. Gotta be loose cutouts.

chryslerfan55 and Blues4U like this.
  16. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Well sh*t, I started to look at the wiring this morning and after a number of expletives I called it a day . I unbolted a toggle switch and pulled on the RED wire that was connected to it. I came out sort of easily until I found a butt connector that connected the RED wire to a BLACK wire. I pulled a few more wires out of different colors and found more butt connectors and more BLACK wires. Thank God it was all 14 ga. except a strand of household wire. The floor of the car was getting uncomfortable so I decided to do front brake pads and rear linings. I know that the wiring will still be there no matter how long I put it off but....

17. jay t.

jay t.

29899704-F7A0-4B5C-B6CE-645FD8C329EE.png Finishing up on the transmission tunnel for my Henry J

18. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. mopacltd

mopacltd

W motors are cool

High test 63 likes this.
  20. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

21. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

22. High test 63

High test 63

IMG_20210505_201942439.jpg trying to get these back to 64cc minimum for roadster mill. Gonna take me a while I'm thinking...

chryslerfan55, Lil32 and j hansen like this.
  23. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was lucky enough to get it from the guy I bought the engine from a few years ago. The book is dated 1957. Not sure where they might be available today. Cool air cleaner box.

John

24. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

Put unnamed 5sp gearbox back together at last, everything seems to be fine on a dry run, hope to get it on the car next week for the moment of truth...

25. 41 coupe

41 coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from bristol pa

Well, I put a new battery in the 55 in my Avatar, checked all the fluids, put air in the tires, dusted it off and took it for a little ride. Runs like new. Been in the family since new gotta love it,I do.

High test 63, Sky Six and RICH B like this.
  26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Took the shackle setup off my '39 Chev coupe as the zerks wouldn't flow grease well. They thread into the spring eyes and once I removed them I could run a wire into the hollow shaft and they worked again. Easy one hour project, and went great.

27. Replaced the accelerator pump diagram, and the master cylinder for the hydraulic clutch .
    Havent driven the truck for couple of years so took it out to stretch her legs for a 200 mile drive to a friends and pick up a model a frame I lent him to mock up his car .Ran like a champ should have fixed it sooner .You can see the front horns hanging out of the box . Will post a picture of my frame when I get it out 20210515_133711.jpg

28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

75 degrees in May in the PNW, and a slow Friday at work adds up to golf at Camas Meadows GC. Driving there in my roadster? Priceless! Top down on the way home, clubs fitting nicely behind the seat. Scoring an 85 won't get you any kisses but this thing will!
    upload_2021-5-15_15-2-53.png

40two, 61Cruiser, Blues4U and 6 others like this.
  29. I've been too busy with other stuff to get much done on the roadster; but did finally manage to get it to this point... roadster frame1.JPG

30. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

After coming home from PowerTour a couple years ago, my front wheels were brown with brake dust. I got the outsides clean, but the insides have never come clean. The best I got them was with Chemical Guys rust and brake dust remover. Four or five applications of it left me with

[​IMG]

Today I tried a different tack. I got some Mothers Aluminum and Mag polish, and the “Power Ball” from a headlight restoration kit, and went to town on them.

The results

[​IMG]

Much better.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app