Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***May 2021 Banger Meet Thread - Great Shop Weather***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, May 1, 2021.

1. Yeah! I should kept to the original story that Henri design the DOHC engine FOR Peugeot! The late Lindley Bothwell of Woodland Hills owed and raced one The 1913 Peugeot 4.5-Liter L45 that he owned is not only regarded by many as the father of all racing engines, but it ran in the 1916 Indianapolis 500. Bothwell then took the Peugeot back to Indianapolis to compete in the Veteran Class, he bested Dario Resta's 85mph lap record at over 103mph – a record that had stood for 30 years! Bothwell died in 1986; but his widow Ann threw us an annual party at their remaining Orange ranhce in San Fernado Valley for a number of years. Several years ago all of Lindsey's collection of race cars went on auction. Don't know who bought it!

GuyW, Gruntis and Crazydaddyo like this.
  2. railcarmover

railcarmover

thumbnail (82).jpg thumbnail (83).jpg

there is a few REM offys around..see'em at the hillclimb.they give modified flathead guys shrinkage,serious shrinkage.

Gruntis, G_Don, Old Dawg and 2 others like this.
  3. G_Don

G_Don

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Anyone have any experience with sockets being too large for a intake/exhaust combo? I was able to tighten the two inner nuts but not all 4.

I’m thinking I’m going to need a new gasket.

Also are lock washers okay to use, the originals I had on there would also not fit.

I’d prefer not to modify any parts, but just seeing if any of you guys have suggestions.

Thanks in advance guys!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

40 Olds likes this.
  4. 97

Make a tube nut . Bore and tap a piece of solid round bar with a short cap screw welded/locked in the drive end . I wouldn't use a spring washer with a brass nut.

Old Dawg and Shutter Speed like this.
  5. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Much as I hate to recommend it, you'd almost be better off pulling those studs & using Allen-head cap screws : at least you could tighten/torque them in the locations shown. Just re-torque before every event.

Old Dawg likes this.
  6. Look at using 12 point nuts from ARP
    J

burl, Old Dawg, winduptoy and 2 others like this.
  7. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

...or longer studs and a tubular sleeve to get past the manifold runners. Thick hard flat washers instead of spring washers.

Old Dawg likes this.
  8. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

...or a coupling nut (most often used to join 2 pieces of all thread) with a short allen head bolt screwed in the outboard end and silver soldered in place. I've never seen a grade 8 coupling nut, but grade 8 all thread is readily available, so probably coupling nuts too.

Old Dawg likes this.
  9. railcarmover

railcarmover

The washer you settle on need to be oversize on the stud so it can provide pressure to both the intake and exhaust flange if they are different thicknesses.basically it needs to 'rock' on the stud . I'm not trying to second guess your work, but my limited experience says you are going to have overfuel problems with that lash up if you plan on running all 3.

Old Dawg likes this.
  10. Phil Damon

Phil Damon
    from San Diego

These are what I'm using.
    upload_2021-5-14_7-31-9.png

Old Dawg, ottoman, burl and 1 other person like this.
  11. G_Don

G_Don

Ordered some 7/16-20 ARP nuts, which take a 1/2” socket as opposed to 11/16” so that’ll work just fine. Do I need to run washers with the nuts? And any washer recommendations?

Also, I’m not running three carbs, I’m a poser and two of those 97s are blocked off with only the middle one running. Lol

Appreciate the help everyone!

Old Dawg likes this.
  12. Thought you guys would get a kick out of this, front drive mag from an old aviation magazine.
    Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 8.53.22 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 8.53.34 AM.png

Old Dawg likes this.
  13. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Mr. Bothwell had a very extensive collection of old race cars. my uncle bought the "Black Widow" fairground racer pictured below. Powered by a twin plug Rajo T engine.

Bothwell Black Widow.jpg

14. PhredH

PhredH

G_Don
    I had similar challenges with my single carb aluminum intake and the Yapp Y headers. I was able to do a bit of strategic carving on the sides of both the intake and exhausts to allow for straight on access, use a 7/16" jet nut on the studs for a reduced diameter socket, and used Yapp's 1/8" hardened washers that came with the headers without a lock washer. A few thousand miles later, no problems. Your ARP reduced size nuts should also work fine in place of a jet nut.
    HTH
    Peace,
    Phred

Old Dawg, winduptoy and G_Don like this.
  15. I'll be picking up this magneto drive on Monday. It needs a coupler to join the magneto to the drive. Would something like an "Oldham" coupler work, where it's two hubs and a disk?
    64209727452__99FC57C0-D149-4AB9-913A-E91C1609DB15.JPG

Old Dawg likes this.
  16. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Good news! I can’t wait for September.

[​IMG]

17. Jiminy

Jiminy

Added to the first page
    Jim

winduptoy and Binger like this.
  18. Jiminy

Jiminy

winduptoy likes this.
  19. Phil Damon

Phil Damon
    from San Diego

20. Jiminy

Jiminy

21. Ba ba ba my Barona

i’ll leave now

22. 731D7324-2559-4348-943C-D0A45A83B2CF.jpeg Not the best photo but to the point

23. hotrod holland

hotrod holland

24. Many thanks!
    I'm looking at a repop Simms coupler, in UK. Little on the pricey side at £121.87, but I've been told to run something like this for ease of timing. My girlfriends dad is a machinist, I could have him drill the centers to mount on the shafts, but Im trying to figure out how to mount them to the shafts.

CA1132-2__3000001__.jpg

Old Dawg likes this.
  25. Nick Nadol

Nick Nadol

Very nice

26. Nick Nadol

Nick Nadol

Digging that intake

27. Nick Nadol

Nick Nadol

1931 correct?

28. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

Hi , just at a glance possibly this may work.I worked in the UK oil industry for nearly 40 years and we had couplings of this type that were 30+ years old .If you have a problem with delivery(that is if it is of any use to you) get it sent to me and I will send it on to the USA for you.We had some that were Keyed to the shaft and some that fitted into a dimpled shaft with a grub screw -ran 24/7 for 3 month at a time .

Old Dawg and winduptoy like this.