Register now to get rid of these ads!

History STANCE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 13, 2021.

1. Redrodguy

Redrodguy

I prefer nose down on most, but as long as all four tires touch the ground, I can’t complain.

Elcohaulic and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. 1930ModelA

1930ModelA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. trollst

trollst

Yes, I live where there is a lot of dirt, my 1/4 mile long hilly driveway is dirt. Thank you for the compliment.

Elcohaulic and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. What did we used to say? In the weeds, or was it in the leaves? 189.jpg

6. 2935ford

2935ford

7. 2935ford

2935ford

'28phonebooth, Mr48chev, HOTRODPRIMER
    Thank you for your kind words.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. I like the front splash apron so low it will decapitate a snake. :D

It's cost me a couple of splash aprons. :rolleyes: HRP

9. 55zephyr

55zephyr

PJ166107-Edit-Edit (3).jpg

Nose down, big and littles on both.

BigRRR, Ranchero59, 2935ford and 6 others like this.
  10. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

11. I think this is the stance for the 56. If I ever get back on it.
    F8BD9577-5B96-46F3-AB77-66E0D79BA0EB.jpeg

BigRRR, 31hotrodguy and Dave Mc like this.
  12. chop&drop

chop&drop

830C3445-49FC-47F4-A00E-B7B8E9AA4573.jpeg A016496D-9263-4274-91CB-F03A73F022C3.jpeg It depends on the car and the build style, but for my hiboys definitely nose down.

13. HotRod33

HotRod33

IMG_20190827_125134.jpg

I like nose down.... Is there really any other way....lol

14. As mentioned, depends on the car. As a general rule, I prefer the front being lower than the rear but my last 2 have been taildraggers...

15. My coupe. Stance is everything. It's funny how stance can be totally different sitting still and going down the road.
    F83B1AE8-F176-439C-B1D2-27D9A157F9DA.jpeg

16. I'm with Mark on that one the term "stance" can't stand it.. all that comes to mind when hearing it or reading it .. import tuner..with stretched tires on to wide of rims.. with car that so stupid low .. and has a filthy stuffed animal hanging off the tow eyelet.. " with the sticker "stance wars " and yes I saw that on a windshield of very off topic car

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    31hotrodguy and Moriarity like this.
  17. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I'd done this analysis years ago. It's not so much a prescriptive rule as looking at a lot of cars which peg the look and finding that most of them are close to this:
    jjgold32-1 analysis.jpg
    Simple really: the bottom of the front wheel clips some kind of line which defines the bottom edge of the car, and the tops of the front and rear tyres rise about an equal distance above that line.

It's not quite a rubber rake — it's a rubber rake plus the difference between the front and rear sidewall heights.

Tradition. The HAMB is all about tradition, but understandably light on anything like a theory of tradition. People think of tradition as a system of authority, but what it really is is a way to convey knowledge: and it does it by rules-of-thumb based on what has worked for others who had gone before, thus saving us the trouble of working from first principles every time. It's hugely useful, and its usefulness is often under threat in the modern world, but it isn't anything like obligatory. In fact, tradition is most vigorously alive when people add their own innovations to it all the time.

Stigmergy is a new thing a lot of people are thinking around, but what it really is is dynamic tradition.

But I digress.

Completely different, but I've really been getting into this kind of thing:
    Invicta.jpg The approach is a lot like the traditional custom motorbike, with similar overall tyre diameters front and rear, but taller, skinnier wheels at the front and shorter, fatter ones at the back. The stance is level, and I feel it should really sit a bit lower than this Invicta, with a bit more visual weight in the rear overhang, almost like an FED.

I've seen specials which begin to approach the look I want, but I think that if I really want to nail it I'm going to have to do it myself.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  18. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Yeah, I get it...same going with the scenesters lately into "period correct" choppers. Over-worked term.

19. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I think "stance" has been usurped by a certain automotive culture, which has redefined it more narrowly than it used to be. That is, "stance" has been made to mean a specific sort of stance, i.e. slammed via silly negative camber, with the fender lips wedged between the rims of the wheels and the sidewalls of tyres several sizes too narrow for them. It happens in language: philologists know all about it. Compare for instance how one sense of the word "quality" came to mean "good quality."

I've known the term "stance" in a hot-rod context far longer than the current culture has been around. It is old and honourable, and I don't think we should let it go so easily.

The same broad cultural stream has done similar damage to the word "drift." It used to mean the off-line attitude a car assumes in a corner due to the tyre sidewalls distorting as they roll (what is called "slip angles") and not any kind of slide. It is perhaps because "slip angle" was never really a satisfactory term, as it doesn't involve slipping at all.

31hotrodguy and KevKo like this.
  20. I'm a nose down guy on hot rods. Full bodied cars can be level or slight rake. However, I want to be able to drive them on 1000 mile trips without trouble so seldom is my stuff low enough to look really cool but I'm not hung up somewhere in a drive or pot hole. Hot rods have compromises. :)

41 coupe and High test 63 like this.
  21. For me, low all around, and if skirts 1" lower in back, if no skirts 1" lower in front.

Elcohaulic and rotten ron like this.
  22. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

It depends so much on the style of the car. For twenties and thirties cars, I generally prefer a slight rake, nothing dramatic. Forty's cars, I like a little bit lower in the rear, nothing drastic, plus a very slight overall lowering. 50's cars I like level, lowered about an inch or so from stock ride height. 60s cars I pretty much like the stock ride height, maybe lowered a little bit in the front. I don't like excessive lowering, and I especially don't like them sitting right on the ground, and I don't like the nose jacked way up in the air. And I don't like the back end jacked way up in the air.

23. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I like to run a decent amount of positive caster so I like the stance to be level or slightly higher in the front.. I'm into handling, I like a car to be fun to drive more than how it looks.
    One time in my 64 Bonneville, I was side by side with a built up Subaru WRX and when the road got straight, I left him like he was at a dead stop. When we both met up at the next light, his dad or uncle was in the passengers seat laughing his ass off. He said to me, "I tried to tell him how fast the 60s cars were but you just showed him".. They didn't know my suspension was all done up with modern and home made component's lol...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  24. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

31hotrodguy likes this.
  25. 1930ModelA

1930ModelA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, been a long in progress build. Plan to start moving a lot faster now. Plan is to have done by summer ‘22

31hotrodguy and nochop like this.
  26. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

27. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

I'm most definitely a "bigs & littles" guy but there is (as has been said) certain types of cars that I really like with a
    slight forward or close to neutral stance.....I mean body position.;)

Credit to Dan Greenberg
    b68b330ff230762d2247762efcb4421e.jpg

28. Dave Mc

Dave Mc