Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

loudbang, no I have not was thinking the same thing

Carter and loudbang like this.
  2. hi MIKE this info is available on the only cragar junior carI CAN FIND in the ROY RICHTER BOOK
    GEORGE WIGHT is the only one who installed a cragar junior head on a waukesha engine ,
    being he owned GRAGAR in 1936 he was testing the new industrial waukesha engine , REFERRED TO AS THE FERGUSON TRACTOR ENGINE , ALSO IN KANSASRACINGHISTORY.COM , GEORGE WRIGHTS WAUKESHA CRAGAR ENGINE DRIVEN BY JIMMY WILBURN.
    in the ROY RICHTER BOOK refers to the bell auto shop car number 14 as the cragar junior car
    clearly marked in several pictures in the book , in the shop and at race tracks
    SWEDE LINDSKOG IS ALSO pictured in the number 14 BELL AUTO CRAGAR JUNIOR CAR
    IN THE USA AND IN NEW ZEALAND 1936/1937 . THE CAR IS CLEARLY MARKED
    CRAGAR JUNIOR . THE VALVE COVER IS CLEARLY CRAGAR JUNIOR
    I HAVE NOT SEEN A 2ND COVER IN ANY PHOTOS
    LET ME NO IF YOU HAVE INFO
    THANX JT

Attached Files:

4. BELL AUTO CRAGAR JUNIOR SWEDE LINDSKOG

Attached Files:

tractorguy likes this.
  5. BELL AUTO SHOP CAR , CRAGAR JUNIOR WAUKESHA
    DRIVER SWEDE LINDSKOG
    OWNER GEORGE WIGHT

Attached Files:

tractorguy likes this.
  6. SEE PICTURES POSTED OF CRAGAR JUNIOR BELL AUTO MIDGET
    this car has rare bell auto parts , including , GORDON SCHROEDER/BELL AUTO DRUM BRAKES
    WINFIELD SR RACING CARB , parts that GEORGE WIGHT WOULD HAVE AT THE SHOP
    let me no if there is a 2nd cragar junior waukesha pre war race car out there

7. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Ok
    WHOAA...the Ford flat head 4 cylinder tractor engine was erroneously called a Ferguson when used with the Ford 9N, 2N and 8N tractors with the 3 point hitch developed by Harry, Ferguson in England and licensed to Ford. It was basically half of Ford’s V8’s. Ferguson, incidentally, may be better recognized for his four wheel drive system used in the Indy 500.

The small Waukesha flat head 4 cylinder industrial engine was unto itself.

Somewhere along the line I thought I saw a DOHC CRAGAR JR, I think at Jim Brierly’s back in the ‘90’s. Perhaps it was sold to the Speedway Museum my memory is saying. I may be mixed up on this but not the Ford/Waukesha statement.

Maybe Dean Lowe can chirp in on this.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  8. YES 28 DREYER
    the FERGUSON TRACTOR AND HENRY FORD DID NOT TEAM UP UNTIL 1939
    THE CRAGAR JUNIOR CAR WAS BUILT IN 1936 , THE ENGINE WAS called GEORGES tractor motor
    as QUOTED IN the ROY RICHTER BOOK , MISTAKENLY CALLED A FERGUSON MOTOR .OR FORD .TRACTOR MOTOR , DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY PICTURES OF A PREWAR CRAGAR JUNIOR
    WAKESHUA HIGH OUTPUT MOTOR ? THE ONLY ONE I CAN FIND IS IN THE BELL AUTO SHOP CAR , THAT I CURRENTLY HAVE .
    GEORGE BOUGHT OUT THE BANKRUPT CRAGAR CORP IN LATE 1932 AND IMPROVED THE HEAD , THE DOC CRAGAR WAS NOT PRODUCTION READY AT THAT TIME , I HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE ,
    THE WAUKESHA HISTORICAL SOCIETY HAS IDENTIFIED MY MOTOR AS A 1935
    FC 133 CU HIGH OUTPUT MOTOR , GEORGE FITTED THE SINGLE OVERHEAD CRAGAR JUNIOR HEAD TO THE NEW MOTOR , SEE SWEDE LINDSKOG, JIMMY WILBURN INFO IN PRIOR POST , UNFORTUNATELY IT WAS NOT COMPETITIVE WITH THE OFFYS , THE CAR HAS SEVERAL RARE BELL AUTO UPGRADES
    THAT GEORGE WOULD HAVE AT HIS SHOP , I BELIEVE ROY RICHTER REBODIED THE CAR PRE WAR , HELP INFO OR PICTURES
    THANX

tractorguy and loudbang like this.
  9. BELL AUTO 1936 SHOP CAR
    CRAGAR JUNIOR WAUKESHA F3 133 CU HIGH OUTPUT MOTOR

Attached Files:

10. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Nice, very interesting .

loudbang likes this.
  11. MORE INFO ON MY BELL AUTO CRAGAR JUNIOR SHOP CAR
    FROM KANSASRACINGHISTORY.COM
    GEORGE WRIGHT IS A MISPRINT
    GEORGE WIGHT IS THE BELL AUTO PARTS FOUNDER
    JIMMY WILBURN IS A DRIVER OF THE CRAGAR JUNIOR WAUKESHA MIDGET
    ALSO PICTURED IN ROY RICHTERS BOOK
    DOES ANYONE HAVE DOCUMENTATION OF
    A SECOND MIDGET WITH A CRAGAR JUNIOR HEAD 1935 FC WAUKESHA INDUSTRIAL
    RACE ENGINE ?

Attached Files:

Dean Lowe likes this.
  12. SWEDE LINDSKOG 14 CRAGAR JR 007 (2).JPG

13. GEORGE WIGHTS BELL AUTO HOUSE CRAGAR JUNIOR WAUKESHA CAR
    SWEDE LINDSKOG DRIVER DSCN9179.JPG DSCN9206.JPG DSCN9206.JPG

48fordnut, tractorguy and loudbang like this.
  14. Interesting that I found this thread tonight after just starting to do some number reparation on a midget race car purchased by a friend of mine. The car was originally owned by a friend and client of mine whose father and possibly his uncle raced the car many years ago. Sadly he was brutally murdered awhile back (a long story).
    The car sat in the window of his shop/garage for many years and although I would see it when I went over to do paint work on one of his many motorcycle restorations I never really looked at it that closely.
    The new owner is in the process of cleaning the car up a bit to show and in the process damaged some of the lettering on the car. Someone had touched up one of the numbers on it in the past and it doesn't match the rest of the others. He wants me to make them all the same color and then "age" the letters to match the finish on the rest of the car.
    I knew that it had a V8-60 engine in it but always thought it had Eddie Meyer heads and manifold on it(on reflection I think it did at one time) but when I saw it today it had a Weiand intake with two Stromberg model 81 carbs and a set of heads I have never heard of before. They are aluminum;unfinned and marked with the name,"YOUNG" (pictures supplied)
    I checked with a friend of mine who is very knowledgeable on early flathead parts and he has never heard of them either! So my question is:
    Does anyone on the HAMB know the story on YOUNG cylinder heads? Did they make them just for V8-60's or were they available for full size flatheads as well? GlennMeyer's1.JPG GlennMeyer's2.JPG GlennMeyer's3.JPG GlennMeyer's4.JPG GlennMeyer's5.JPG GlennMeyer's6.JPG

Carter, tractorguy and loudbang like this.
  15. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Wow - nice racer safariknut. I hope I get to see it some day. Maybe at the next ididit car show? Does the owner have any plans to race it at vintage events?

loudbang likes this.
  16. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

Perhaps contact someone at the Speedway Motors Museum in Lincoln, NE. They have an extensive collection of old Ford speed equipment as well as old midget stuff. If anyone knows, they might.

17. He wants to get the motor unstuck before he does anything. I don't know exactly how long it has been since it ran but when I moved out here to Michigan in 1993 it was in the window of the former owner's garage. I met him about 20 years ago and as far as I know it had never moved from it's spot.
    The new owner isn't planning to do anything other than getting it running and making sure everything is functioning.One thing he did want to change is the copper fuel lines;he wants to change them to something safer. As to whether he will vintage race it;that is possible. There are a couple people in this area who are into vintage racing on dirt who might be able to talk him into it. He is more into 1/4 mile cars(he has a few).
    I just remembered that there is a plaque on the instrument panel showing membership in some midget race car organization;I'll have to get a picture of that when I go back on Friday to finish the lettering. That might help ID the car's history.
    As for the ididit car show,I'm not sure the new owners of the business are going to continue that.I hope they do.

loudbang likes this.
  18. DOES ANYONE HAVE THIS PREWAR BELL AUTO SHOP BROCHURE
    LOOKING TO SEE IF GEORGE HAD THE CRAGAR JUNIOR HEAD OFFERED
    AND OTHER RARE PARTS , GORDON SCHROEDER BRAKES
    BELL AUTO PREWAR CATOLOG 005.JPG

19. HI ART BAGNAL
    REFERENCED THE BELL AUTO CRAGAR JUNIOR CAR IN HIS BOOK
    HE COULD IDENTIFY GEORGES HOUSE MIDGET
    UNFORTUNATELY WE HAVE LOST ART .
    WOULD A FAMILY MEMBER OF ARTS HAVE ANY OLD PICTURES OR INFORMATION
    ALL HELP APPRECIATED , THIS CAR HAS BEEN LOST FOR OVER 60 PLUS YEARS
    I BELIEVE THE LAST OWNER PURCHASED IT FROM THE LINDSKOG FAMILY
    WE LOST SWEDE LINDSKOG IN 1946 IN A MIDGET CRASH AT GILMORE STADIUM , HE WAS THE DRIVER OF GEORGES GRAGAR JUNIOR WAKESHUA MIDGET CAR IN 1937 NEW ZEALAND WITH 6 OTHER US DRIVERS INCLUDING ROY RICHTER FROM GEORGE WIGHTS BELL AUTO SHOP , THE CAR WAS SHIPPED BACK TO THE US AFTER THE SEASON ENDED

tractorguy likes this.
  20. Hi, I am posting photos from a collection my grandfather had. I posted sprint cars over at the vintage sprint car thread and now will start posting some I believe are midgets. here are 4 of them. IMG_4673.JPG IMG_4674.JPG IMG_4675.JPG IMG_4676.JPG

loudbang and Speedwrench like this.
  21. Any info would be great. Do not know how to rotate photos? Anybody?? Sorry

loudbang likes this.
  22. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I like the wheels and tires on the Galena Spl.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Fordors

Fordors

BDC2F914-4D10-4C6D-8278-35F728A629BD.jpeg F580BDC8-57C3-453C-8E7C-2B5C6E61A881.jpeg D2F44816-A381-425B-A77F-016C7A9A417E.jpeg 57836086-E561-46C1-8708-AD1E6E880C9D.jpeg

I usually look at the HAMB on my cell phone and editing is easy on an iPhone.
    I take a screen shot of the photo to be edited by clicking both the power button and home button simultaneously. Then go to Photos, click on the image you want to work on and click Edit in the upper right corner. Follow the visual prompts, (the instructions are not written out) to rotate the photo if necessary and then to crop the image to get rid of everything from the screen shot that you don’t want to appear.

48fordnut and wicarnut like this.
  24. O.K. I will try that. I use my camera to take the shots then upload them. Maybe the file is too big as the 1st one came out O.K. but the 3 others were not. Thanks for the tip and correcting them!

25. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I wonder if Betty Thompson is of the family in the Thompson Ramo Wooldridge (i.e., TRW) dynasty?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  26. ANYBODY OUT THERE ? ANY OLD PICTURES ?
    THE CRAGAR JUNIOR CAR STILL HAS BRASS GAS LINES AND OLD BRASS GAS TANK CAP
    BELL AUTO SOLD A FRAME MOUNT MASTER CYLINDER KIT TO UPDATE TO HYDRAULIC
    THIS CAR HAS THE RARE GORDON SCHROEDER RACING BRAKES ALSO SOLD BY BELL AUTO
    THE LAST OWNER CLAIMED HE BOUGHT IT FROM THE CARL LINDSKOG ESTATE
    HE THOUGHT THE MOTOR WAS A GM 4CY . THE CAR HAS BEEN TO MANY ATLANTIC COAST
    OLD TIMERS SHOWS THREW THE YEARS , I DID NOT CONFIRM IT WAS THE WAUKESHA
    CRAGAR JUNIOR ENGINE THAT GEORGE WIGHT HAD BUILT FOR HIS SHOP CAR
    UNTIL THE WAUKESHUA HISTORICAL SOCIETY CONFIRMED ITS AUTHENTIC
    AFTER OWNING THE CAR FOR OVER A YEAR ,
    ANY INPUT , ALL INFO LEADS BACK TO GEORGE WIGHT SHOP CAR
    CAN ANY ONE PROVE ME WRONG
    THANX

27. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Can't help much on the four Midget pictures. Thought the drivers of the Offy and the Elto looked familiar, but going through pictures I have didn't produce a match - photo quality doesn't help a lot, either. The other two cars were surely backmarkers, maybe local winners at the most. Could be a motorcycle engine in the Galena Special, and a V8 60 obviously. All four pictures late thirties, best guess.

28. O.K. Thanks. Will jot down what you think for now. Will post more soon, Appreciate it.

29. sdluck

sdluck

My friend just bought a old midget Can anybody Id this rear end?

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.