Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New Daily Driver - Squarebird

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guthriesmith, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Understood. I got some yard work done yesterday before the rain.

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  2. Headed to hang out with a bunch of kool kats for the weekend for the StrayKat 500.

34A398E0-EE85-4EE4-904D-5D1DBF542823.jpeg

3. What a great weekend!

loudbang, Thor1 and guthriesmith like this.
  4. Agreed! Good seeing everyone as usual!

loudbang, drdave and Thor1 like this.
  5. So, @straykatkustoms hooked me up with a couple center caps that made my smoothie chrome wheels look WAY better when I was up in Dewey for the StrayKat 500 last weekend. I finally got around to popping them on today after finishing some yard work before what appears to be a rainy week ahead. Now playing that whole “can only see one side of the car at a time deal” until I can come across a couple more. :rolleyes:

B8A6A223-ABEE-49A1-BDF7-20E1663F1CE7.jpeg ECC7ACC6-54A7-44C3-897C-E5E6F3A5FBA8.jpeg

OahuEli, drdave, 210superair and 3 others like this.
  6. Now add some lake pipes and then stick a fork in it.

7. Nah, I think a Watson style paint job would be just right.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. Hmm...I hadn’t thought of that on this car. Only issue I see might be dragging them though since the rockers are actually pretty close to the ground and I keep thinking I will likely lower it a little sometime too.

Yep, agreed and think that will happen in a couple years once I can catch up on some other projects. Mainly just trying to keep it going and tinker with small stuff for now.

9. Maybe sum Bellflowers behind the rear wheel. Just sayin.

Thor1 and guthriesmith like this.
  10. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Second the lake pipes...

edit: looked again. Yeahhhhhhhh, I agree it would look better lower than with lakes...

11. Not much to update other than still driving the thing daily. I was able to find the other two center caps thanks to a fellow HAMBer, so both sides now look the same. My son took this pic last night and sent it to me, so I thought I would share.

23F763F0-9D78-480D-B3B3-F377F705420B.jpeg

Anyway, next on the list is to figure out why some of the OT stuff like the electric fans quit...this thing runs cool normally, but sitting in traffic probably isn’t good this time of year with no fan. I’m only getting away with it right now because my drive to work is all highway and no traffic. Thinking going back to one hanging off the water pump makes good sense to me. I also need to recover the seats in the near future. The drivers side seat is getting pretty bad and if I don’t fix it soon, I will need foam too. :oops:

OahuEli, drdave, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  12. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

13. Yea, yea, Duncan... I don't need more encouragement to do that. I just need time and money. :D

OahuEli, loudbang, drdave and 2 others like this.
  14. Same thing happened to me and it was a loose wire to the fan relay. I'm sure you have already checked but look at the ground wire as well.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Yea, I thought I found it when the grounds were less than ideal. I resolved that and just knew it was going to work. But, no dice... Anyway, I just need to jump power and ground directly to the fans and then troubleshoot from there. I have just been too busy to spend the time the last few days. Thanks for the info.

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- many of us can relate to this

loudbang, drdave, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  17. Well, bittersweet day today as I sold the bird and delivered it. It went up to Carthage, MO to a great guy. It was a fun year driving it pretty much every day no matter the weather, but I have some life things going on that necessitated selling it. On to the next adventure.

45A3386F-7F9A-4082-B51F-B83AB3C77A03.jpeg B1E7D0D6-38FD-408C-91DC-5F3541C8DD03.jpeg

Dan Hay, loudbang, Thor1 and 5 others like this.
  18. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Well that sucks, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Devin

19. Man, I hate to hear that. Least now you don't have to worry about painting it.

20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Bummer, but at least you got to enjoy it and share the time with us.

21. It’s fine, and has been fun. Just need to focus on some other things and honestly give the 56 some attention. It is about worn out since it recently went over 100k on original engine and transmission. These old cars come and go. It was fun. Thanks for the comments.

22. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

That bird was a cool old car, but I just gotta say it- the front end reminds me of a big ol flathead catfish:p

23. Great thread. Nice opportunity you had for the year to enjoy, and improve, an American classic!

24. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Great old car, man. You had fun with it and that's what counts.