Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Grinding noise when I pull the car out of the garage.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al, May 9, 2021.

1. Take the drum off ... start the car, drop it into drive or reverse WITHOUT TOUCHING THE BRAKES and listen. Then just turn off the key without touching the brakes.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  2. You're closer than I am :D

3. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You say you put new gears in the 8" axle. Without wishing to sound rude, but do you know what you are / were doing to replace the axle gears? And has it been run at all since with no problem.

I've had any number of rear axle wheel bearings go bad but they've never made horrible noises when running very slowly. Rumbles and hums when moving along. Worst one had noticeable clonks when running slowly - that one was utterly destroyed.

Chris

4. 1ton

1ton

I'm eight hours away. I could use a road trip.

5. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Took it off. a bad scraping noise. Put the drums back on. Put into neutral. Passengers side turns easily. smooth. No noise. Drivers side rear doing the same thing. I can now hear, and feel a scraping sound.

6. I've just never heard of a Ford truck of that vintage having an 8 inch in it. Doesn't mean I am correct. Unless it's from one of those small Ford Courier trucks maybe, I am just picturing an F150.

7. Drum was removed so for last test so we know nothing is hitting the drum. Next I would verify that there are no brake parts (see any broken springs?) dragging on the axle. If there is nothing touching the axle, I would guess the cause of the noise is a bad axle bearing. I am just having a very hard time understanding how a bad axle bearing could make that much noise without the weight of the car on it.

8. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I am not sure then. Found out they wanted to make a gasser. Set the motor mounts back 9". I didn't know that until I was putting the body back on the car, and the motor hit mid firewall. I had to cut the old firewall out to lower the body onto the frame. I had to make my own firewall out of 16 gauge sheet metal.
    They ground the tabs off the rear for some odd reason so that you couldn't lock the u-joint in place. Also heated, and bent the rear leaf spring to lower it in the back. Had to replace the whole works with new works. So are there numbers on the rear housing that I could look up to see what it came from?? The gears came from a Ford Station wagon, or so I was told.

9. When you resolve the problem PLEASE
    Post what the problem was.
    Terry aka dirt t

10. "I can now FEEL the scraping sound" ... when? Can you feel it by just turning the axle by hand without the drum on it?

11. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

All I can say is give me a phone number. I will start it up, and you can hear it, and boy is it loud..

12. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I had the drum on to turn it. I can take the drum off, and turn it by hand again to check??

13. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I've read all the input from the beginning to now. This is the great part of HAMB! Since no one close has been able to step up and help Al, Many here are trying their hardest to help Al. Thank You in advance to all those that are seeing Al through this!

Nostrebor likes this.
  14. Yes please.

15. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Yes Sir. Real bad like metal to metal..

16. There should be four bolts holding the axle and brake backing plate to the axle housing flange. Remove those four bolts and the axle should pull out. It may be stuck and need some help getting loose but it should just pull right out. If there is nothing visible touching the axle, then it may very well be a bad bearing ... it just surprises me how loud you say it is. Order a new bearing and retaining ring and have a local shop press it on for you. Once done, axle just slides back in, four bolts go back into place, make sure fluid level is correct and hopefully you're good to go.

17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

It's something stupid (most likely?). Drum off and looked seen nothing. Did you inspect anchor pin for brake shoes to be either broken or loose?

18. I tend to agree ... for a bearing to be making such a supposedly horrid noise, it would have to be basically half rotted away/completely dry. I just can't see a bad bearing making that much noise. I have been wrong before. With the drum off and nothing touching the moving part of the axle, what else could it be though?

Johnny Gee likes this.
  19. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

If you know that the tie rod is “to long” the that is the first
    thing I would check out and fix.
    Then have the car aligned properly.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

20. When you had the gears changed did they refill the rear with fluid?

Wrench97 and Nostrebor like this.
  21. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

The car pretty much sits in the garage. I wish I had a cement floor, but I have a wooden plank floor. It gets real cold in there. How hard is it to pull that axle?? Also. Would I have to replace both sides??

22. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I can't remember how many years ago that was, but it was quite a few, and I put in 2 bottles of gear lube, until it was just starting to come out of the hole.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  23. Here's where I am at with this ... if the bearing is truly that bad (our assumption at this time), I'd remove the axle from the housing and see what the bearing feels like and looks like (it would have to be mighty crusty to make the noise you are describing). If the bearing is clearly faulty, then order a new one.

24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

No disrespect to Al. Just slow down and take your time. It's not the end of the world. Take part's off in a common sense order (process of elimination) and problem will show it's self eventually.

Roothawg likes this.
  25. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Pretty much found it. Rear bearing Drivers side.

redlineracer42 likes this.
  26. As stated earlier ... four bolts and the axle pulls out. Those four bolts are the only thing holding the axle in. The axle may be stuck though and take some effort to free it from the housing. If the bearing is that bad, it will be obvious with it out of the rear housing. If the bearing looks great and spins free (again, once removed from the housing, reinstall and keep looking for the source of the sound.

27. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Now it sounds real bad, but can I put the drums back on. Back it out of the garage. Spin it around, and back in?? I don't have enough room on that side to pull out the axle..

28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

How to, watch 1st 4 minutes >

Blues4U and jnaki like this.
  29. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

If I take those 4 nuts off. Can I just pull the axle out to see if it is bad?? If it is. Can I grease it so I can put it all back together. Back it out of the garage. Spin the car around, and back into the garage. I don't have enough room to pull it all of the way out on that side of the garage.

30. Below is a drawing of an axle puller that I made. It consists of a piece of pipe/tubing (could maybe use a chunk of wood 2x4) and two lengths of chain. I slipped the chain links over the wheel studs and tightened them down using lug nuts. I then held the piece of pipe up against the axle (the chains go limp at this point) then pull HARD in the direction you want the axle to go ... the chains go taught with a BAM, and the axle pops out. It may take several hard pulls to get the axle to move. Others have had success with just putting the brake drum on backwards and loosely, then banging (by hand) the drum against the wheel nuts. You are basically making a slide hammer. IMG_3691.JPG