Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Grinding noise when I pull the car out of the garage.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al, May 9, 2021.

1. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I will see if I can see anything in the front that I am hitting.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

long shot , a u joint was hot put away, come spring it said " im done"

3. Did you get the power steering bleed properly? They can make a awful racket if you don't.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. mickeyc

mickeyc

When the motor is just running and not in gear the motor sees no serious
    torque load. When it is put in a strain even a small one the torque can
    raise the engine and cause the fan to rub the shroud or something similar.
    I have broken mounts on several vehicles over the years, usually through
    abuse or such foolishness. The worst was a 57 Olds that broke the left motor mount and trans mount as well. The torque of the 371 caused the fan to grind
    on the metal shroud sounded like hell. If you place the thing in gear
    with your foot on the break not allowing the car to move. that would
    eliminate brakes or ujoints I am thinking. Nothing that is not already
    rotating will change when placed in gear. That seems to indicate a torque
    induced interference to my way of thinking. I am no expert by any means.
    An interesting dilemma. A little logical sleuthing should reveal the culprit.
    I do hope you reveal your findings when it gets figured out.

VANDENPLAS and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I had to change hoses on it. Kept on plowing out. Lots of little air bubbles in it, but in the instructions. It never said anything about bleeding that pump, or anything else..

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Touch your brakes lightly while you are moving and it is making the noise. Does the noise change?

7. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I have no fan. I have 2 pushers on the front of the radiator

8. But you said it's fine idling, revving, etc, until the car rolls, right?

9. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Wheel bearing...seen that movie.

10. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Not really. Only if I stop the car. Otherwise if I have to roll it. It makes the noise..

11. Do you have any sense that the noise is coming from the front or rear of the vehicle? Are you feeling any vibration that's in sync with the noise?

12. Chief 64

Chief 64

Try putting the jack stands under the rear rear axle so both rear tires are 1-2 inches off the ground. This puts the rear suspension at normal ride height. Now careful put in gear so tires spin at say 20mph. Does it make noise? This could help us determine if noise is from front or back of car.

until you do that here are some random thoughts;
    -Maybe a chunk of rust fell into brake backing plate or disc brake dust shield or drive shaft.
    -Maybe a brake spring broke and is stuck in between shoe and drum.
    - Have you taken inventory of all your tools, sockets, extensions you used with the last job? A tool jammed in the wrong spot can cause serious problems and noises.
    - Do you have the kind of friends that would hide a curb feeler under the car?:D:D:rolleyes:

ClayMart likes this.
  13. 6sally6

6sally6

LOL-LOL-LOL-LOL!!!:p (you guys are kill'in me!!!
    6sally6

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  14. twenty8

twenty8

Had a similar thing. Turned out to be a piece of gravel stuck between the brake rotor and the dust sheild. Hours of fun to find that...........

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say you have two choices, and you pretty well answered your own question.
    If you changed tie rod ends and all with that rack I'd have my butt slid under the car looking at the space between the tie rod end and the wheel. My guess is that the tie rod ends are rubbing the wheels.
    The other thing that is unlikely but possible if the power steering is mounted low and close to the frame is that the pulley is contacting the frame when the engine moves under torque due to sloppy motor mounts and limited clearance.

ffr1222k and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  16. Tie rod end ending a wheel weight?

17. mvee33

mvee33

Positraction or tru trac rear ends can make a juddering sound. Good luck.

18. Get a friend to walk next to the car when you move it to help zero in on the location. Preferably someone who isn't half deaf like me.

19. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Parking brake cable..

20. reagen

reagen

change owner , LOL

LOU WELLS likes this.
  21. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I have had this car for 26 years, I am 70 now, and my health isn't all that great. I want to drive this car a few times before I am forced into selling it. I have no real Friends. Most have passed away that could help me. I am into this on my own. I have done all of this on my own with the help of people online. You are not the first to tell me to get rid of the car. This the first and last car I will ever build. So if you are not going to give me any real advice like the rest have.. Then kindly don't answer.. Thank You..

22. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Without raising the car off of the ground in the rear, to check the rear end suspension or the rear axles, plus the 3rd member gearing, the sound will continue. Raise the car on jack stands and move the rear tires. If the sound comes from that section, you have isolated it. It is probably a worn our axle bearing or something else happening with the axles.

Hopefully, the ring and pinion gears are not chipped or loose. But the moving of the tires still hooked up, will give you an area isolation sound. Metal on metal sound is definitely a noticeable sound. The rear axle takes a lot of bruising on any drive, let alone full acceleration runs.

The 3rd member gearing is also meshing and one little thing could make that noise you hear. If you do have a Positraction rear gear set up, remember to put in gear oil specifically for a Positraction unit.

Jnaki

Having taken out the axles, drums and 3rd member unit plenty of times in our 1958 Chevy Impala, I was always checking the teeth, the machined ends and fit when reinstalling everything. We never had a metal on metal sound, but others that abused their sedans did have some, which turned out to be a chipped gear or something re-installed in a hurry, that led to some mistakes. YRMV

upload_2021-5-10_5-14-9.png
    We all have to do this checkup on our hot rods at one time or another. Doug Cook working on a 3rd member problem in his 1937 Chevy Coupe for the C/Gas Class. Jack stands must be holding up the frame out of the picture. (top seen on the right side behind the blocks)

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    LOU WELLS likes this.
  23. SS327

SS327

Just take it for a quick ride around the block before you do anything just to knock the cob webs and brake rust loose. Then if it is still noisy panic.

24. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Al I read through this again and did not see what rear you have in the car. 10 and 12 bolt GM rears the bearing rides on the axle and are known to wear a groove in the axle. That will make noise when on the ground but not so much when you jack it up. A little more info is needed, unless I missed it.

Pat

25. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

A few years ago I drove the car up the block. It hasn't gone very far. i will jack the back up again. I tried it yesterday by just spinning it by hand. Didn't make any noise at all. The farthest it has gone in the last couple of years is out of the garage into the driveway . Turn it around and back it back into the garage. The last time it made noise like that I had put in drop spindles, along with taking a loop out of the coil springs. Then the grease fitting was rubbing the wheel. Though today I will jack it up again, and spin the wheels to see if there is any noise there. From inside the car I can't really tell anymore. I hope it is from the front. I put in a new front pumpkin a number of years ago. Plenty of rear gear lube. First I will lay in the front and see if I can see anything rubbing on the rims.

26. indyjps

indyjps

Agree with carefully checking over steering if that was the last change. Car on stands to load the suspension as it would be at ride height.

Ive had this kind of noise from brakes, both drum and disc, from sitting. Brakes not backing off, drums can bind up, disc can have corroded or dry caliper slider pins.
    Also had the clean out channel in the disc pad build up enough garbage to sound like the brakes were on the squeelers, this was only when brakes were applied, but just cleaning that out fixed the problem.

If you see no issues with steering, a 15-20 mph hard stop can help you see if its brake related. Just be safe.

27. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I have a 1972 Ford truck rear end 8"

28. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I have been having a tough time with the brakes. I replaced the master. Then I had to bench bleed it again to get more air out of it. I can feel that the wheel cylinders are working as when my Wife pumps it I feel the brake shoes push out. Now I have some brakes, but still have to give it a couple of pumps. Now the power steering pump is not hitting anything. If it were. It would hit, and make noise when I started it. I have a real hard time turning it over. Could be the timing is off some, but it does start.

29. I thought the weird shit only happened to me!!! Please let us know what you find!!!

30. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Had a streetrod newbee pulled into a buddy's shop, asked what had let go ? making an odd noise ,,,
    buddy got on a knee, looked underneath, and dragged the half ground off plastic orange safety cone out from under the car... noise gone...