Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Grinding noise when I pull the car out of the garage.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al, May 9, 2021.

1. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I can start the car runs pretty good. Put it in gear, and as soon as it starts to move I can hear a loud grinding coming from under the car. It happens in both Reverse, and Drive. I checked the rear wheels. Jacked it up, and spun it, and no noise. I jacked up the front, and spun the wheels, and no noise. I will check the front wheel bearings, but they should be fine. I greased them last year. I put in a power rack last year. Could it be that there are loose bolts that might cause that noise?? Otherwise I can't see it rubbing against anything..

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Something rubbing on the drive shaft...?

3. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Grinding? Bent fork?

4. Sounds like it's an automatic, but the OP really didn't give us too much information to work with. The only things that I'll add is that if the vehicle has a fan shroud and a belt driven fan, check for any signs of contact between the fan blade and the shroud. Try removing the fan belt temporarily ans see if the noise goes away. Check that the water pump turns smoothly by hand while you're at it. Try the same thing with the power steering belt removed also.

5. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

No fan. Nothing on the drive shaft. The rotors, and drums have some surface rust on them, but I get the noise with or without using the brakes. I backed the car out of the garage to turn it around That grinding noise was so bad. I t sounded like the whole bottom was going to fall off.

6. greybeard360

greybeard360

I didn't hear it. Not a thing.

As usual..... More info needed.

7. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

What do you need to hear??

8. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I will re check the front bearings. I would think that if they were bad. I could hear the grinding noise by just turning the wheels when I jacked it up..

9. TerryT35

TerryT35
    from Minnesota

U-Joint going bad ?

studebaker46 likes this.
  10. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Would a bad U-joint make that kind of noise just pulling the car out of the garage??

Dan Hay and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. 45819B19-5E7B-4D89-A39C-B5C8884B3FEB.gif Bent back backing plate sounds horrible .
    Something rubbing the drive shaft ?
    Mouse made a house in the brake drum or around the brake rotor ?
    Something on the front of the engine seized ? Water pump , alternator etc?
    Rusty rotors can make one hell of a noise
    One brake stuck on?
    Bad mount? Fan hitting shroud ?
    Seized or damaged u joint ?
    Tire flat and rubbing wheel well or leaf spring ?
    Busted spring or shock causing tire etc to rub ?
    Did the dog fart while you where backing the car out ?

put the car up on stands and look around, or drive it slowly around your house with someone else to listen to determine where the noise is coining from.

without hearing the noise myself I could say it was Frankenstein coming to get you

12. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I wouldn't know how to do a video. All I have is a flip phone. Otherwise. If someone PMed me their phone number. I could call them, and they could listen to that racket..

13. mickeyc

mickeyc

Could it be the dust shield hitting the flexplate or torque converter
    bolts coming loose? Sounds like a broken motor or trans mount might be the culprit.

Oldb and VANDENPLAS like this.
  14. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Though wouldn't the noise be all of the time then?? I can start it. Rev it up, and no noise. When I put it in Reverse, or Drive. Then it sounds like the world is coming to an end..

15. Well I'll start with "I'm a bodyman", but if you start the car and everything is fine, until you put it in gear and start moving, it's somewhere between the output shaft of the transmission and the tires. You put a rack on the car, so are the tie rod ends hitting the rims? If it's as bad as you're describing, get somebody else to back the car up and pull it forward while you look and listen.

16. So it does it when you put it in gear, not necessarily moving the car? If that's the case, could be a broken mount

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  17. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Guesses....let's see...
    Torque converter or flex plate rubbing?
    If the torque converter or flex plate is rubbing when in gear and everything seems bolted down, check the end thrust on the crankshaft.
    :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  18. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

No. The car has to be moving. Sitting still no noise. Put in gear. No noise. Start moving the car.. Then the noise starts, and it is real bad..

19. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I have a Turbo-350.

20. belair

belair

Garage door wide enough? Lloyd's suggestion about something rubbing on the inside of the rim is a good idea.

21. Kid pushed his wagon under the car?

redlineracer42 and clem like this.
  22. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I will check the rims. Nothing rubbing on the rear drums. The Garage is 80 years old. It was built by my Dad for his Model A. The 37 fits just fine.

23. I just about peed on myself lol... the rim can be rubbing something (tie rod or ball joint) while under weight, but once you jack the car up it changes the geometry and clears whatever is offending it. Sounds like you need to get on the ground and have a look, but that still might not be what's wrong.

24. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

You know. It all sounded fine when I had that manual rack in it. As soon as I put in a power rack. It starts to make noise..

25. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

No one could push a cart let alone my foot sideways under the car. The front bumper is 12" off the ground.

26. I'd say that's the culprit, it's happened to me. I just took a little off the tie rod ends with the grinder. If it was much interference, it wouldn't even roll.

27. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

That makes sence. I have a hard time making corners. Tie rod is too long.

chryslerfan55 and Roothawg like this.
  28. clem

clem

99% of the time when you have changed something and have a problem, it is the thing you changed, or something that you altered to change the something that you changed..........

The other 1% it’s something you did that you didn’t realise that you did when you changed the something that needed to be changed.........

if it is something else, then you have extremely unfortunate luck and should just give up.......

29. Wrench97

Wrench97

Jack it up and put stands in the back, put it in gear and let the wheels spin do you hear the noise?

If no jack up the front and put the stands as far out as you can on the lower a arms, spin the front tires listen for the noise.

chryslerfan55 and ffr1222k like this.
  30. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

Push it out in the driveway in neutral without starting. Noise then?