Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steering ratio change needed on Corvair/early ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ron Plumlee, May 9, 2021.

1. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

SO, finally took the coudan out after a 13 year build, and it all went well. Biggest single item is need to speed up the steering. Corvair unit, cowl mount, way easy to steer but way slow to react. SO, longer pitman arm seems logical, but has anybody moved the hole in the spindle mounted steeering arm in maybe an inch?? Or has anybody tried to speed up the Corvair ratio? Seems like new hole in spindle mount arm is easy easy....any rules I need to follow or experiences on this?

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

3. greybeard360

greybeard360

That would slow the steering down.

dana barlow and butch27 like this.
  4. butch27

butch27

What year is that body ?

5. Either way can work, longer pitman arm or shorter steering arm. Both have the net effect of speeding up the steering. What is easiest for your car? I have not heard of any different ratio Corvair boxes, although someone may know if there ever was such a box.
    Just from a theory standpoint and the problems with bump steer on cowl steering, a longer pitman arm would help reduce that bump steer a little bit.

seb fontana and dana barlow like this.
  6. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Clark's Corvair has or had quick ratio steering boxes , they were a GM option IIRC .
    Flaming river WAS producing one but ceased production .

pprather likes this.
  7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

How long is your steering arm ? You can put in a smaller DIA. Steering wheel & speed things up a bit ..
    And put some safety washers on the drag link rod ends !

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  8. TCTND

TCTND

If you shorten the steering arm be sure the drag link won't interfere with the tire and restrict the left turn radius.

9. jimvette59

jimvette59

You are correct my bad. Is that why I see some cowl steering with long arms. When I built my 34 with a reversed cast iron Corvair box I installed it in the original 34 position used a ford pitman arm clocked it for position and it was perfect. In fact I put a damper on the axle just to give it some resistance. JMO
    Jim T.

10. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

GM did make fast ratio steering box but they are quite rare. If you find one it's going to cost you.
    As mentioned the longer pitman arm or shorter steering arms would be the best and most economical solution.

11. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Sprint car or midget steerings come in many different ratios and would be easy to install since you already have the cowl mount. They also have a big advantage in that they do NOT get sloppy as they turn off center as street type steering does. They are also available in power type with adjustable assist and feedback.

jaracer likes this.
  12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

That's the right info !!! An your best working way for your ask. ( make longer pitman arm)*****

13. nobby

nobby

does a corvair box utilise the same innards as a saginaw 140 VEGA box ?
    are they 5/8 input shaft and 1'' on the sector for pitman?

14. jimvette59

jimvette59

I must have unknowingly got lucky. I purchased the box from a Corvair restorer he knew what I was using it for and I was shocked when I put a Ford pitman arm on it OR DID I ? It was in the late 70s or early 80s

15. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

Pitman is 6" and steering arm is 6"spindle face to c/l of bolt.

16. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

1934...it started life as a Fordor sedan, we shortened it then grafted front of front doors to rear of rear doors....do NOT try this, nothing nothing nothing fits!

kidcampbell71 likes this.