Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mercury VIN

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Foreman, May 8, 2021.

1. Jim Foreman

Jim Foreman

Looking for help finding the history of a 1950 Mercury. Any suggestions?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

What's the question? Are you looking to decode a serial #???

3. squirrel

squirrel

Finding the history of a car from it's serial number isn't easy....unless you work for a DMV or something.

4. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Look up fordifacation. Com

5. ....Well, here's a couple of suggestions. How about doing a real intro with maybe your general location and/or where you may have purchased the Mercury. A picture and description might also go a long way. There are some pretty bright dudes on here, but as far as I know, we don't have any mind readers!

6. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Jim, Finding the owner history of a '50 Merc would be pretty hard to do as many states
    "clean out" their files of decades old data.

8. jaracer

jaracer

I was able to get the original dealer invoice on my 57 T-Bird. The dealer was no longer in business, but the Ford dealership in the town told me they bought that dealership. However, any records were long stored away if they existed at all. I asked if they had any salesmen who might have been with the dealership in 57 and they did. I got him on the phone and he told me he was 78 years old and didn't remember half the things he had already done today. No recollection of a yellow T-Bird.

9. Jim Foreman

Jim Foreman

Okay, you're right...I'm in Southern California (Temecula) and got the car in Riverside, CA. The person was the 3rd owner (I think). He purchased it in Murrieta, CA. 14 or 15 years ago. The older man told him he bought it in Texas years before. So that covers maybe 20 or more years. As far as description of the car, here's a couple of pictures.
    I do appreciate any help. Thanks Resized_20210406_165720.jpeg 20210406_170418.jpg

10. Jim Foreman

Jim Foreman

Thanks..

11. Jim Foreman

Jim Foreman

Decoding the serial number would be a great start. I've tried but can't get a 10 digit vin decoded

12. Picture of the vin or plate on the door jam would help....and welcome !

13. Jim Foreman

Jim Foreman

The vin is 50DA41661M, no plate on the door jam

14. squirrel

squirrel

The serial number starts with the year, then the assembly plant, then the actual serial number, then the letter M for merc. DA means Dearborn.

There should be a body plate, which has more info about the car. it's on either the left or right door hinge pillar. If it's gone, then the info is gone.

So, the only info you'll get from deciphering the VIN, is that your car was made in Dearborn. Sorry.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. Jim Foreman

Jim Foreman

Unfortunately no body plate but thanks for all the information.

16. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

where did you find the SERIAL number (not a vin) if it wasnt on the plate (thats not there)?

17. Whenever I see these threads like this I always wonder "what is the purpose?"

I'm sure there is one, but if people knew what that was it may help.

For example, is it just general interest, or do you need really specific code information for parts ordering?

18. squirrel

squirrel

I expect it's on the title, but if it's not on the car, then I sure as hell would not buy the car.

There were originally two plates, one with the serial number, the other with body/trim/etc data. Not sure if both are missing, or just one.

Torana68 likes this.
  19. The secondary data plate would have given you the production date, original exterior and interior colors, sales district sold in, and dealer load info. I would be suspect if the tags are missing, but it seems you are seeking more personal history of this particular car.

20. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Ought to be easy to trace that car. Got to be the only vinyl top equipped one!! I like it! Lippy

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Squirrel nailed it as far as what the serial number tells and the rest of the info on the car as what paint color and trim level it had would be on the data plate.
    The privacy act is intended to keep states from giving out info as far as ownership or prior ownership. Damned few people want some bonehead showing up on their doorstep asking if they own or did own a certain car using info they got from the state.
    Nothing wrong with someone on here remembering that Louie over in _____ owned it back in 19__ and drove it to the ______ event a couple of times though.

Truthfully unless the car is famous in it's own right it is a lot better to own and drive a nice car with little known history. Then it is your car and not "Louie's old car" every time you pull into cruise night or an event. I bought My 51 Merc coupe in 1962 from the High school crafts teacher named Chuck Darlington in 1962 and owned it for 32 years. At My 20th Class Reunion someone asked me if I still had Darlington's old Merc. The car was still more connected to him than me with my classmates. The guy who has had it now has owned it longer than I did but no doubt he has run into guys who ask if that is Davison's old Merc. Sometimes it is really nice to have a car with little known owner history. It also helps you keep from ruffling fenders if you make changes to it taking it away from the look that Louie put on it. I passed on a roadster about ten years ago because it was so connected to a former owner that some of his friends would have had a fit if you had sanded off the mural paint job he painted on it in the 70's and repainted it.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  22. 19Fordy

19Fordy

23. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The VIN number for 1949-51 Mercs is also stamped into the top of the inner frame rail on the passenger side in the area below the firewall. It has a "star" at the front and end of the number. It should match the number on the firewall plate. Do not bury this number with paint.

squirrel likes this.
  24. I am pretty sure that when you open the Hood the Plate's
    that your talking about are on the Driver's side Firewall near the Hinge

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool
    P.S. Nice looking Merc.