Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Neutral safety switch wiring diagram

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olds vroom, May 8, 2021.

1. olds vroom

olds vroom

Hello all , My father-in-law just purchased this truck. It has a lot of small things wrong with it and as he is 80 it’s become my project to fix this truck . It has a 88-94 chassis under it and the column from that donor truck as well . I’m trying to find a wiring diagram for the neutral safety switch so I can gat the back up lights working. Would anybody here this or just know it? IMG_0615.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. squirrel

squirrel

purple is the start circuit, light green is the back up light circuit.

But I really have no idea what wires are in the truck. Might help to have more info, perhaps a picture of the switch in question.

btw 1966 was the first year that back up lights were standard equipment. And this is a pre-65 forum :)

3. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

If it has a GM column in it, you may find the switch at the bottom of the column. Looks like this one

https://www.ididitinc.com/ft-3078-tech-tips.html

It may be missing, bypassed, or replaced by something else, depending on who assembled whatever it is that you have there.

Good luck. May not want to mention that it’s a post-1964 chassis.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. olds vroom

olds vroom

Squirrel , it’s the same truck 60-66 with the exception of the backup lights.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I know that....

Do you have more info about the wiring in the truck, and a picture of the switch?

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is an 88/94 C1500 neutral safety switch 2 pins are the neutral safety 2 pins are the back up lights the 5th pin evidently goes with the range finder what ever that is . Unless they changed wiring or hacked up the wiring there should be two plugs with two connectors or one plug with four connectors close to where that switch is on the column. meaning you may have to swap connectors to hook it up. Better job for a younger limber guy than an older not very limber guy. NS-41_Front__ra_p.jpg

7. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And don't forget to use the correct gauge wire as the starter solenoid takes quite a bit of power. Don't ask me how I know this.

Chris

8. Neutral safety switch wiring is simple. It goes in-line in the wire from the starter terminal on the ignition switch to the starter wire terminal on the solenoid. 2 terminals. Like a brake light switch, doesn't matter which is which. Wire runs from starter terminal to one of the terminals on the neutral safety switch. Wire from the other terminal on the NSS goes to the S terminal on the starter solenoid.