Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1957 Caddy windows convert to modern help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by charlesmajor, May 5, 2021.

1. charlesmajor

charlesmajor
    from tx

I bought a 1957 Cadillac 75 Limo project, lots of work has been done, but ZERO of the window assemblies are with the car I have the chrome frames.
    1. I can search out original stuff- does 1957 GM anything interchange? Where would I go to find out?
    2. If I buy street rod kits, what parts must I have to mate the 57 glass to aftermarket power windows?
    THANKS!
    Charles in Dallas

2. squirrel

squirrel

post a few pictures...one of the side view of the whole car, so we can see what you're working on. And perhaps a picture of a door, and the window frame for it, so we can get an idea of what all you have, and are missing.

If it's a production body, then you might be able to find parts for it. If it's coachbuilt, then it would probably require making parts.

3. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

Your best bet is to find a parts car,front doors should be same in most series,rear windows possibly?.you can try over at the Cadillac-Lasalle club,they have a good forum as well,a good buy and sell section,lots of guys there with same car as yours too.harvey

4. charlesmajor

charlesmajor
    from tx

This is a factory car.
    The front door is 42 3/4 wide and the rear is 33 1/8
    Here is ALL the window hardware I have (See photos)
    Would a Hollander book get to this level of hardware?
    Caddy window hardware1.jpg Caddy Side no glass.jpg Caddy front door nothing lower 2.jpg Caddy front door nothing lower 2.jpg Caddy front door nothing lower.jpg Caddy rear door nothing.jpg Caddy window hardware1.jpg

Desoto291Hemi and squirrel like this.
  5. squirrel

squirrel

Hollanders lists the 4 door sedan separately from the 4 door hardtops,, I think it's the 75. 57 and 58 models use the same glass. Vent windows are the same as the 4dr hardtop models.

The bad news is that the 57-58 Model 75 are the only cars that use the door glass, so it's gonna be tough finding a donor to give you the parts you need.

If you want to do some more research on how the mechanisms work, you might see if you can find a factory Service Manual for the car....something like https://www.ebay.com/itm/283869983090? might be a big help.

buying cars that someone else took apart is a real pain....btdt

LAROKE and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. 76EED375-B814-48F9-845E-491F189CEB54.jpeg

The jag S-type used a power window set up like this, it’s a cable in a track so pretty easy to mount how ever, it does have a slight curve in it,

dodge caravans from the 80’s early 90’s used a plastic cogged belt deal for their power window setups, also easily adapted.

sorry , I’m of no help for an oem cross over, maybe someone with a Hollander book will chime in.

And squirrel with the win !

7. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. charlesmajor

charlesmajor
    from tx

9. charlesmajor

charlesmajor
    from tx

Jim, which Hollanders book do I need to buy, that is some helpful info right there! I have the FRM and FPM for the car.
    Thanks!
    Charles in Dallas

10. squirrel

squirrel

I have the 31st, but any from the early 60s or so would be helpful.

11. You might also try contacting Regulator Roy. He's been most helpful for me and many others that I've sent his way. Good luck. His website address is:

www.regulatorroy.net/

His email address is:

[email protected]