Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hot Rod Magazine Yearbook No. 1 (1961)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, May 4, 2021.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Hot Rod Magazine Yearbook No. 1 (1961)

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool. Primary source words from an icon, love it! Thanks

3. catdad49

catdad49

I’ve had mine for a long time, can’t honestly say that it’s quite that nice. Whatcha buildin’?!

4. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Throwing '32 rails under my A Roadster and giving it some much needed love in the process!

denis4x4, Deuces and catdad49 like this.

5. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Had mine for years and is a coveted re-read. When I got into B&M and Hydro-Motive Hydros the tech article was invaluable as to the comparisons and mods between companies. I also recall a story about the cover and ended up using Eric Rickmans Olds, I eventually did a clone of that motor.

catdad49 likes this.
  6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

How about a picture of the complete cover ? Need to get a closer look at the Olds engine. Thanks.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  7. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Jay, My copy, on the shelf within reach of my computer, is the one with the spine completely faded to white. I bought it in 1961. And yes, the purple Olds V8 and Hydro on the cover is the one Rick stuffed in his '53 Corvette, with the 3 carbs sticking through the hood. One of the features inside that influenced me was the Rollema-Hill Wayne 12-Port GMC dragster with all the angled intake injector stacks. I'm obviously missing several, but I highly recommend HR Yearbooks from following years, as well. All good.
    And it's very refreshing to hear someone building a hot rod with a real Ford '32 frame. I highly recommend that, too.
    Pat G. IMG_1172.JPG

8. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Mine is missing the cover, and the pages are getting a little fuzzy

9. Fordors

Fordors

tdog, Deuces, Hamtown Al and 2 others like this.
  10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had several years worth of them but don't think they are even readable now. My "stick them here for a few weeks" storage turned into a lot of years of neglect.

12. I have #1 through #12 (1972). I don't know if there were any after that.

Mick

Deuces likes this.
  13. .....and I thought I was hot shit because I have a complete set or Rodder's Digest [except #7]! Hell, I've never even seen the early HRMs.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  14. Fordors

Fordors

3957C884-3E14-4118-96C3-B0919F165637.jpeg

8118486F-4AA7-4B59-91F0-0EA10F419941.jpeg Here are numbers 13 and 14 Mick, I think that’s where they ended. HRM resurrected the yearbooks a few years later (mid ‘80’s maybe?) but it was never the same, fewer pages and a different feel to the content.

15. cfmvw

cfmvw

I remember the public library had a couple of them from the mid-1960's when I was a kid. I think one of them had an article about building a Manx dune buggy.

16. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I can hardly wait to read about swapping the diesel into the Pinto!

[​IMG]

17. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

18. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

19. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Marty! Glad you made this comment! I actually had a complete cover picture, but accidentally re-used the cropped 'Hot Rod' header image instead - That has been fixed...

20. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Thank you, Pat- You're contributions here on the HAMB not to mention your own articles and killer books have been a huge help to me as well, so you have paid it forward!

Hamtown Al likes this.
  21. A few weeks ago I was fortunate to buy from an estate sale and got 19 Rubbermaid and boxes of Hot Rod Magazines , Rod and Custom, Car Craft etc .. starting from the 1940s until now. Here's my collection of the Yearbook.

Attached Files:

echo ed, rod1, Hamtown Al and 2 others like this.
  22. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I dig the HOT ROD yearbook as well as other special edition printings.
    I have a Corvair Performance Handbook that was put out by HOT ROD. I believe it was 64. My dad has had it since 64 and gave it to me several years ago. The cover was missing when I got it and I still enjoy reading the articles. That book and how to hot rod Corvairs gave me a wealth of knowledge. 20190505_114838.jpg

catdad49 likes this.
  23. ClarkL

ClarkL
    BANNED
    from Knoxville

I bought every issue of the magazine and now I have a large collection. I love and appreciate old things, so I want to use this magazine when compiling a bibliography for my research project on old cars. I will be using https://ca.edubirdie.com/annotated-bibliography-writing-service as an additional resource as well as a reliable writing service where professionals will help me with my work. Now I rarely return to these magazines, but sometimes, when nostalgia and longing for the past prevails, I like to sit down with tea and flip through all the magazines.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    TerrytheK and Elcohaulic like this.
  24. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was Yearbook #6 - Tex Smith did an article called "The Bug is Biting" about the trend in modified VW's and dune buggies. I literally wore the cover off my copy, wound up building an O/T glass-bodied dune buggy when I was still in high school. That article helped me get pretty heavy into VW's and yeah I still do dig 'em!
    I was lucky enough to find a super nice set of Hot Rod Magazine yearbooks #1 thru 7 in the HAMB classifieds a few years ago and love paging through 'em.