Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods B-O-R-I-N-G

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coilover, May 4, 2021.

1. Yup

lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  2. But hopefully it might bring the price down on parts or even project cars, since you can buy a new one.

Deuces likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

He still hasn’t shown us what awe inspiring cars he’s built. Maybe he’s gathering up all the pics?

I hope he won’t ever have to ask his nephew for a favor.

verno30, Dan Hay, Malcolm and 4 others like this.
  4. If you live in the rust belt it can make a non rusting fiberglass car pretty damn attractive !

5. Or building a roadster or coupe for the Salt.

LSGUN, Deuces, 210superair and 2 others like this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perhaps, but flatheads are "innies" :cool:

LSGUN, Texas57, nosford and 8 others like this.
  7. sunbeam

sunbeam

Tell me how many period hot rods were built with out fabrication.

j3harleys and Deuces like this.
  8. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Geez, I thought this was gonna be about SBCs lol o_O

warbird1, scotty t and traffic61 like this.
  9. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

10. Roothawg

Roothawg

What’s wrong with Vertex?

11. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

I wish I had a nephew that was manufacturing hot rods. Jeesh.
    Mike

BradinNC, Texas57, j hansen and 10 others like this.
  12. Yep and still if it was easy everyone would do it... HA HA HA

Standing joke around here is when something difficult pops up “ why couldn’t this be a 32 roadster? We’d be done by now “

13. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

I call BS on anyone who doesn't get what the OP is saying... You've all thought it... Hell, I've been around long enough to hear some of you say it... Stop fronting... :cool:

That said, as I get older, it matters less what other people do or don't do... Time is short and getting shorter, and I just need to find a little more time to do the shit I like.
    But I get the frustration of watching someone you're close to, do shit that lacks creativity.

BradinNC and MO54Frank like this.
  14. Boomer: “these young people are lazy and don’t like old cars or working with their hands”
    Young person starts company making old car bodies.
    Also boomer: “it’s glass”

Mr. Sinister, ccain, nosford and 18 others like this.
  15. I say good for the nephew. He likes old style cars/hot rods. This hobby has a huge blanket and can cover all different kinds of enthusiasts. I have seen a lot of good looking hot rods that I thought were original Henry products in the beginning but upon closer inspection turned out to be a plasticmobile. It still looks good nonetheless.
    A fellas gotta do what hes gotta do.

16. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I hear the older generation ripping the kids today, they know chit, Yada Yada Yada. I was on here a week before I recognized most old timers on here doesn't know the difference between their, there, and they're..... Lol. (That's not directed at anyone in particular, don't get your depends in a knot.)

I also say good on the nephew. And I don't really care what the uncle has or hasn't built. It doesn't entitle him to be an arse-hole. (Not that you need a license to do that. By all means, do you....)

impala4speed, ccain, TCATTC and 10 others like this.
  17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Don't think nephew age was stated, he could be like 64? Wonder where he got all the molds..

VANDENPLAS, lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  18. I dunno, magnetos make him vomit I guess

19. Good point.
    I have aunts and uncles that are younger than nieces and nephews

20. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Sorry the nephew is interested in hot rods, how sad. Perhaps he could get interested in tuner cars or lifted four wheel drive trucks.

Mail order hot rod parts and fiberglass bodies have been used since the fifties. The availability of components has exponentially added to the amount of rods built. Sure, the "traditional" builder would have scrounged junk yards and fabricated pieces out of necessity. The yards are gone, old tin is expensive as well as generally expensive to repair and now engineered parts are available. So the o/p critiques the build rather than support the effort. Were he my nephew I would give him a hand.

And people wonder why young folks don't get into hot rodding.

impala4speed, TCATTC, nosford and 6 others like this.
  21. pitman

pitman

A CSRA pioneer!

22. Also, if the OP is in his 80s, the "younger" nephew could be collecting Social Security already

23. What his nephew is doing is what’s happening these days. Hard core traditionalist have watched it for years. People now would rather have a dropped axle from a catalog than a 32 heavy. Even at the same price.

24. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

For me, the appeal of brand new parts that all fit together is born of having had mostly pretty far gone stuff that folks sold off cheap or didn't want to work with to build my car with. It sounds so nice to just be able to put stuff together the way I want without having to clean it all up and fix it first like if it had come from a used car lot or a junk yard 70 years ago. I still love building with my pile of orphan junk but one of these days I'm going to start with something I don't have to restore first be that glass body on a repop frame or otherwise.

210superair likes this.
  25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Having built my own T bucket frame and patched the body together from pieces that I hauled out of a field by hand and hauled home in the trunk of my 62 impala with the lid closed in two trips I can full and well see why a lot of guys would spring for a fabricated frame with a statement or origin and a glass body and a few other ready to go pieces. For one if I have the paperwork for having bought the frame from a manufacture it speeds up the getting it inspected for a title process in this state a ton. Other wise the frame has to be welded or inspected and passed by a certified welder. Too many guys scab welding stuff together without decent welding skills are the cause of that. I probably had 300 hours in that steel T body and it wouldn't pass for a decent rat rod today as it was still pretty rough and if it still exists it is probably running around Texas as a rat rod.
    My engineering skills at age 27 created a chassis that was strong as all get out but lacked a hell of a lot as far as design went. My great idea for the rear suspension linkage wasn't so great looking back at it.
    That said, I would far rather see a guy with minimal skills bolt together a mail order hot rod with all pre made pieces than "build his own" rig that might have less than stellar design or workmanship in it. Once they build some skill and learn the ins and outs then they can do far more of a scratch build with more original parts.

Guy Patterson likes this.
  26. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Also boomer: "I built this hobby into the thing you take for granted today... I invented glass bodies, cruise nights, and drive-in pussy, So STFU":cool:

27. You left out boomers creating pouting dolls.

28. I saw the title, and read the OP's first post. Thinking some real nice fiberglass bodies came out of Boring, OR. What's the problem? :)

29. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I find that people that infer others are lying are usually liars and that accuse others of steeling are thieves themselves. Seems it's either pictures or lies on this site.
    I'm 84 and my nephew is 47 and has been under my tutelage since age 16. Built my first 34 5w at age 13 so guess I was in the game for 64 years before handing the reins to nephew. Just a couple pics to show I had just the tiniest bit of ability and skill before nephew took over.
    From this to this,
    Bug Tussle 006.jpg Bug Tussle 002.jpg Finished 54 Olds 004.jpg Finished 54 Olds 005.jpg
    Why? Because the Olds Club of America shows only 11 1954 98 Starfire convertibles left in existence and customers Aunt bought the car new. It is NOT the worst one I started with.

30. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I don't understand any of this. Isn't this Tech Week?