Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ANYONE STILL USE PUSH BUTTON START?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 26, 2021.

1. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Switch ignition, push button start on my A... planning the same for my other A too.

Deuces and OzMerc39 like this.
  2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Does a foot stomp starter count.

Deuces, OzMerc39 and keith27T like this.
  3. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

My 40 Ford coupe still has the stock setup with no thoughts of changing

4. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

‘50 Chevy still using the push button. I find it amusing that this is touted as a technological advance in newer cars! ‘46 Chevy still uses the stomp start!

5. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I know you want to use the 6 volt buttons. They have a higher current rating.. I always liked the button start. I try to mount it close to the drivers side window so I can bump the engine when working on it. I always liked the key on the left side on Ford cars..

I always remove all safety switches to the starter. If I ever get stuck and need to move the car like being stuck on railroad tracks ( you know those trains can not stop if your on the tracks). I put it in gear and run the starter to move the car..

6. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 28 Roadster and 40 Tudor both have toggle switches and push button starts. The 40 had a GM column that I threw away and went back to stock. In the roadster I put a 39 column and switch with a button on the dash in place of the original key. IMG_3873.jpg IMG_3876.jpg Its great to be able to crank the motor without ignition when I want. I wish I could still get the original solenoids with the push button on the bottom so I could bump the starter while working on the engine.

7. tguptill

tguptill
    from Maine

My 57 I wired so when in the start position with the key the horn blows. There is a hidden start button under the dash. If someone tries to start it, they get scared away when the horn blows!

osage orange and Deuces like this.
  8. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Deuces likes this.
  9. If the Button's came with the Car they will not work by them self's
    You need to have the Ingnition Switch turned on before they Work

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

All three of my drag cars use a pushbutton to start and a separate toggle switch for the ignition. This is because of high compression and a locked in spark curve that put a real strain on the starter to turn the engine over if the ignition is 'on' when the starter button is hit.

Turnipseed likes this.
  11. modagger

modagger

I guess I’m a contrarian of sorts. Pull to start my avatar.

12. manyolcars

manyolcars

I hide the start buttons

13. Chuck R

Chuck R

My forty still uses one.

14. ken/alabama

ken/alabama
    from Alabama

Still using it !

15. I have push button in my '50 Chevy coupe. I also have the floor button to dim headlights. I'm really glad I kept both.

16. deucemac

deucemac

That's exactly how I wired a friend's 1949 Ford coupe when he insisted that the starter button and original ignition switch and Hurd key remained. That was almost 10 years ago and never a starting / cranking problem and the dash looks original to all.

17. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

2708AC49-DFD3-4C6F-ABE5-2A0B51AE7B4B.jpeg FDDBBCE9-6E3B-43AE-B9F4-0C13F9D736F4.jpeg BBE29423-59DC-4E36-B032-94355FCA85A2.jpeg I wanted to keep the original switch and key on my 57 Chevy pickup. And always loved the start button on the floor. So on a recent upgrade to a 383 from a inline 6. I made brackets and a switch set up and reused the foot starter also wired it thru the neutral switch.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  18. 6sally6

6sally6

Anybody have "issues" with turdz trying to steal your car?..........since a key is not needed!
    6sally6

19. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At least in my case I would think anyone dumb enough to try to steal my car wouldn't be able to actually get it to pop off, let alone drive, even with no key ignition. If they know how to get it running they can probably figure out how to hotwire it, you can practically do it with a paperclip on the A. Either way a key is pointless...

On something that's a bit more appealing to normal car thieves/joy riders I would be more wary.

20. lahola1

lahola1
    from sedona, AZ

I had a universal ignition switch in my 48 jeep for over 30 years til it finally quit.
    Replaced it with a universal switch from Fleet Farm. That lasted about 7-8 years till it blew apart. Got one from Amazon. That would hardly spring back to ign from start; chewing up my flywheel. Returned it to amazon. Bought a universal switch from O'reilly. That worked for a few weeks and then that one wouldn' spring back from start. So I finally added a pushbutton start and kept the O' reilly sw for ignition.
    They just don't make things like they used to.

21. joee

joee

22. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

All of my vehicle / cars I use push button, For Me the reason is No matter what type of ignition System Mag, Points , Crank trigger , Etc. I put the Max initial timing the Engine like's Usually 18 to as much as 25 deg before TDC, Push button make it easer to start ,
    Ignition power off, hold button to get engine spinning over 2-3 sec then Flip ignition power on / or on Mag remove from ground.

Deuces likes this.
  23. whiteknuckle

whiteknuckle
    from Dryden, NY

to answer your question, yes

24. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 1946 IHC, KB-5, firetruck, has the rubber covered starter button, my truck has a duel battery system, so the master switch, on the truck body is lockable.
    starter button switch 1.jpg master switch 1.jpg

Joe Blow likes this.
  25. Keyed ignition and a push button in the dash on the Buick.

26. New sequence to Start Car go to the Back & kick the Bumper 3 Time
    On a certain Side, Than go to Front bumper & Kick front Bumperet 2 time's
    Then enter Car & position yourself in front of Dash& put Key in Switch now
    on your left find a certain Dead Switch & flip it on.
    Now you are almoust Ready to Start Car it will cranck but it wont start
    You have to turn the Electric Fuel Pump on & wait a little bit to get
    Gas to the Carb. aut ow I have go the the Bathroom.
    And Start all over again!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

27. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Did Not Realize Until The Question Was Asked That There Is Another Way...Zounds! 64111_Interior_Web.jpg

28. you can do exactly the same thing with out the relay in place by using a push button for a 56 F100. It is not a grounding switch, it switches voltage to go to the the starter solenoid. If you wire it up with key on voltage (I made and designed my own electrical system that uses switch on the stock column drop, that is locked by the key) it just sends juice to the solenoid to activate the starter, and does nothing if the switch is off.

29. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-7-25_4-39-38.png
    Hello,

Ever since we sat behind the wheel of any old car or hot rod, there was a push button to start the motor. Then as time passed, the turning key was the big thing. That developed into other electronic gizmos with flip out keys and another button. Now, many years later, the key still exists, but now, there is a dedicated push button for starting most cars from the factory. Daily drivers and custom hot rods, the advances will never cease.
    upload_2021-7-25_4-39-56.png
    One would think that development of the industry has improved. At least, the key area is well protected for the old hot wire ignition starting procedure. Sure, thieves will steal anything on wheels, but for the most part, the modern ignition set up sort of prevents that. The fast TV shows in action make it look easy, but it is difficult for anyone to keep the car running. the newer model ignitions make it a little more difficult to initially start any car with the wire ends.
    upload_2021-7-25_4-40-15.png
    Jnaki

As much as we have all advanced in our daily drivers and for some, in hot rods, the key and starter button is and will be something that just goes along with the builds. A button on the key FOB to open the door, then another to start the car? Possible and could be the next round of experiments.
    upload_2021-7-25_4-40-34.png
    Remember when some dealers had little electronic cards that they could stick into a slot to get the electrics to work, including the starter button? It was a fancy way of theft prevention, but it did have some value to the consumer that was not a key or starter button.