Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage I'll vote for your car if you vote for mine...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustydusty, May 2, 2021.

1. I was at a local show yesterday, and had one of those guys come up and say: "I'll vote for your car if you vote for mine ". (Peoples choice I guess...) I think to myself, I'll bet you say this to all the guys! Seriously? You want a trophy so bad that you have to buy votes? My cars have never been "trophy " grade material so I call "bullshit". Nevertheless it was a nice show with a large turnout. Show started at 9 and I got one of the last spots in the "park and ride" at 9:15... I took a few pics but they had OT cars parked next to them.

2. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

I see something like that around here where car clubs agree to vote for some members car.

Atwater Mike, Deuces, RICH B and 3 others like this.
  3. Trophies? Never have, never will.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces and Nicholas Coe like this.
  4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I don't like that type of bull shit. Must be a loser in the first place.

Atwater Mike, Deuces, getow and 2 others like this.

5. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Same thing happens when you go to another town and all the locals win everything. That's life in the car show world.

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If your in this hobby for plastic dust gatherers have your ego buy a Porsche. The best accolades are from families telling you they like your car...yes I’ve received some but could care less and thank the organizers for their time and trouble for setting it up. Best thing to expect is the fun and BSing with guys with same interest as you.

7. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, happens ALL the time here at smaller "local" shows.
    I intentionally paint my cars flat black so I CAN'T win a trophy...but one time, all my fellow club members got together and voted for my car just to piss me off...just so I'd have to accept a damn trophy.:mad:

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

For the past 15 yrs. I’ve made a few shows and paid the fee.
    I’ve never kept my car tag on the windshield.
    I just don’t understand that type of attitude. Why is it so important to boast about a piece of plastic?
    I do love getting compliments from participants.

Blues4U, Deuces, lumpy 63 and 4 others like this.
  9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

In the 50+ years I've gone to car shows, I've voted "People's Choice" once - to an old boy with a JD Harley who was letting little kids sit in the sidecar.

54EARL, kadillackid, Hnstray and 10 others like this.
  10. I have pretty much gave up on car shows other than ones I attend to see friends. I have plenty of plastic trophies from years ago in a box somewhere...

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. oldolds

oldolds

At a local show that had participants choice award someone in our group found out how many tickets the winner needed the previous year to win. The same car won most years. It was only like 20 votes. We had about 10 cars there. We begged tickets from other people after telling them our evil plan. We voted for the local farmer that had his tractor in the show. It was nicely restored. The usual winner was really upset that he lost to a tractor!

12. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I just buy my own trophies and have them engraved with what I want. I have so many "Best of Show" trophies, I've lost count!

13. I have participated in one local show that passes out ballots like penny candy.
    You register..... you get a ballot
    You buy the shirt...... you get a ballot
    You buy a hamburger...... you get a ballot
    You buy another hamburger...... you get another ballot
    You see pieces of paper on the ground...... you get more ballots

14. Wow- nice... out soliciting votes? Sounds like the dude is better suited for politics than a car show.

15. Trophies are lame. Now, cash prizes, that's another story.

16. My dad did once: he was at a car show where all the locals were getting the trophies, they gave him one, the only non-local. In protest, he drove up to get his award, took it from the trophy girl, drove ahead 10 feet an chucked it in the dumpster in front of the crowd.

slayer, Nostrebor, jimmy six and 6 others like this.
  17. clem

clem

I opened this thread hopeful of car show photos.............but alas.......:(

Hnstray likes this.
  18. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Problem there is finding guys who know something about their car ,let's face it , I don't have much in common with a 7- figure investment broker who can't change his spark plugs , car shows have become power parking , hitting the bars & nepotism run amok ! You can have ' em , I'll be driving ...:D

19. I'm so proud to be here. Thanks to y'all, I actually know my car. I can even change sparkplugs!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

slayer, Hnstray, Budget36 and 2 others like this.
  20. That’s funny! I’m not a trophy guy by a long shot but in the rare times I get one I’m gracious about it. The home made trophies are pretty cool. If someone spent the time to design and build them, I’m sure not going to be a dick receiving it.

Hnstray, chopped, clem and 6 others like this.
  21. trollst

trollst

What? I need best of show trophies, it's why I joined here, I thought knowing a few guys would help me out, help me finally get to the top of the pile, I'll vote for your cars if you vote for mine, Please......aww, come on, it'll mean little old me will have something to covet, brag about, shit, it don't matter how I get it, it just matters that I do get it, cmon......

chryslerfan55 and twenty8 like this.
  22. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

Best trophy I ever received was an electric weed wacker. Odd, I know, but at least it was useful.

hotrodjack33 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. Yes sir, walked up on stage to recieve my 6' tall "best rat rod" trophy that i had been awarded for my 40 Buick that was a traditional hot rod that just wasn't finished. When i got on stage i explained that i appreciated it even though my car was not in that category. I called out a guy that was there with an actual rat rod and handed him the trophy. They applauded me :D I'm such a great guy! ;)

24. twenty8

twenty8

The whole point of it is not the tropy itself. Whether they are $5 worth of plastic or a cool handmade deal, they must be deserved, or they mean absolutely nothing.........
    Soliciting votes............NO WAY.

Hnstray and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Just how desperate are you for a trophy? And how much does it really mean to you if you have t cheat to get it? If a trophy means that much you can have them made at a local trophy shop for less than the entry to most car shows?
    When I attend car shows I go there to look at cars and socialize with other car guys. I've been known to not even go up and get a trophy when my name was called. Just seemed kinda silly to me.
    The only time I like trophys is at a local trade school when the automotive class walks around and picks their favorite cars. Then I know it's what the high school kids liked, and not some popularity contest.

26. That’s how it started out but it kind of got side tracked.
    Car shows and the word deserved don’t go together in my feeble mind. Pebble Beach, GNRS, etc. yeah I see it. Maybe “most miles traveled trophy” would be deserving at a local show. To me it’s the journey not the prize.

27. astep

astep
    from central ca

I might be in the minority, my car is a driver,average about a 1000 miles a month. but when I am driving it and get a thumbs up. to me that is more than a plastic trophy

28. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I don't attend many shows as there are quite a few trophy hunters out there. I'm happy to park up, walk away and enjoy the day irrespective of any trophy. I support money being raised for genuine [charity] causes however when you are the entertainment and are expected to pay for the privilege of attending and the cost of trophies you aren't competing for. Some events feature display only with others including a judging section. Small donation entries are OK as it covers organiser expenses. Worse still, I wouldn't solicit votes like a politician. Stand on your own merits if things comes to that.

29. And that's about it in a nutshell. I don't give a shit if 6 people think my car is cool, if i think it's cool, that's all that matters. You spend a bunch of money and countless hours, just to win a plastic trophy that cost $15? That's bad business. Hope your not a businessman lol