Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Acrylic enamel paint reducer substitute

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HuskerNation, May 1, 2021.

1. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

I need to find a substitute for acrylic enamel single stage paint so I can paint my car’s gas tank. I haven’t been able to locate any locally. Is there any substitute that can be used?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. 34Phil

34Phil

I'm saving a gallon of enamel I got from Tractor Supply when they clearanced all their enamels. It is to be thinned with xylene.

3. Do a test run with acetone.Ive had good luck with it.Wouldnt do a body with it,but chassis stuff has worked out.

4. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We sell it at O'Reilly Auto Parts , I'm guessing most other parts stores handle it too. Just look on the website. If there isn't a local store that stocks paint they could order it.

5. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

On whole cars, if I wanted it to set up fast, I would use lacquer thinner. You do have to mix it slowly, but it works.

6. Poverty cap

Poverty cap

Google DuPont 3812 fast drying enamel reducer, there should be a few different companies reproducing it, not sure of the cost or what quantity is available.

7. Yes sir, done it before myself. Hell we used to cut it with gas to paint trailers.

8. just use urethane reducer. that is what I use

9. Me too. The way I'm reading it is he's wondering if he can use something he already has. I use nason ful-base for everything.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

loudbang likes this.
  11. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

The NAPA reducer comes up at almost $90 for a gallon, I’d seen that before when I did on-line searches.

Urethane reducer & Lacquer thinner? I didn’t think they could be used with acrylic enamel???

The paint I’m using is Acrylic Enamel Martin Senior PCC135 Gloss Black & I have the Acrylic Enamel Hardener PIH50. Could one just not use the reducer?

loudbang likes this.
  12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

HuskerNation, In 1988, I painted my 40 with NAPA Senour #880 Black Acrylic enamel with hardner added and used NAPA 8832 reducer. The 8800 acrylic enamel is no longer available. Is the PCC 135 Gloss Black and the PIH50 Hardener the same with the same results? The 8800 enamel was excellent paint. The mixing ratio was 4 parts hardner to 8 parts acrylic enamel. Xylene could also be used as a thinner but the 8832 was suited for warmer climates./

The 8800 was a GLOSS Black. It would be interesting to compare the PCC 135 Gloss Black to see if it's match.

loudbang likes this.
  13. rnscustom

rnscustom

We use to heat it in the cup before spraying , an old single burner stove with a pan of water , put the cup in the warm water and the paint will thin itself as it gets warm

14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LMAO. That musta been good ol' leaded gas...todays gas would be like adding a cup of water to the paint:eek:

15. I've heated alklyd enamel in the color cup on hot plate unreduced several times in the past and it sprayed out beautifully and dried fairly quickly. Learned that trick from a an old fleet truck painter. I'm not sure heating catalyzed paint would be a good idea as it might drastically accelerate the drying time and screw up the gun.

loudbang likes this.
  16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Since you're only painting a gas tank, why would you even need a gallon of reducer? I'd be surprised if you'd put in more than maybe 15-20% reducer at the most, and can't imagine using more than a cup of paint to do a gas tank?

loudbang likes this.
  17. ken/alabama

ken/alabama
    from Alabama

I’ve used lacquer thinner in the past.

loudbang likes this.
  18. dwollam

dwollam

Not quite the same but I sprayed my '41 Ford Pickup with enamel sealer one time thinning it with lacquer thinner. My painter/body man friend recommended that.

Died way faster and worked great.

Dave

loudbang likes this.
  19. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

As I was looking at the qt of paint yesterday I noticed I’d written the word “mixed on” & a date. That got me thinking/wondering if I’d had him put the reducer into the qt can with the paint, 2 years ago. I called the guy that I had mixed it & he said that with this particular paint they can mix the paint with reducer if I wanted it done that way at the time of purchase. I asked him if I absolutely had to use reducer & he said if no reducer was used it would have a lot of orange peel to it. Knowing the last time I sprayed it from the quart can it laid down beautifully and that was the 1st time I’d ever sprayed paint by an HVLP gun (vs rattle can), I felt confident I had had him mix the reducer in with the paint when I bought it. So I gave it a go and adding the harder in. Well it laid down nicely & today it’s dry!

Here is the tank:
    IMG_7906.JPG

20. 4ty

4ty

Back in the 60's at the the garage/body shop I worked at the painter after getting half cocked would spray enamel with lacquer reducer all the time.
    Paul in CT

loudbang likes this.
  21. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Thinner, reducer, acetone,xylene,and white gas all evaporate at different rates there fore they have different flow out rates. All it does is change the viscosity of the paint.It all comes out of the same hole in the ground. When you heat it you reduce the viscosity of the paint also. When we hot cupped it we watch the paint till it started to roll and then we sprayed it. Because all you are putting paint on there is a totally different smell, also you will hear the gun sound different, and it will cover in two coats and be slick. Frank

22. hepme

hepme

This is very true. All any reducer, thinner, etc. does is perform as a carrier for the pigments in the paint. I learned this many, many moons ago from a very senior paint man. I just did some touch up on my single stage with some half dry paint and lacquer thinner, mixed it a tad thick and it came out fine. Just be cautious as to what the base is and careful how you mix it or it'll bubble the base.

loudbang likes this.
  23. no55mad

no55mad

Reducer for AE is available in Mich, bought some this week at a auto paint store for <$13 quart.

loudbang likes this.
  24. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

White gas is cheaper. That’s what they sold for outboards and lawn mowers fuel .

loudbang likes this.
  25. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Called 'hot potting'. It will make paint stick to dirt and make the dirt shiny
    A local salvage yard burned down their office/garage when the fumes lit off.
    Got to be careful

loudbang likes this.
  26. old.hot.rodder

old.hot.rodder

For acrylic enamel, Dupont (Alexta)8022S is available and correct.

loudbang likes this.
  27. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

They let it get too hot. I seen people use a candy thermometer to check temp.

loudbang likes this.
  28. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

That’s good to know about that reducer. Thanks for the information Frank

loudbang likes this.
  29. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

In the Marine Corp we used gasoline to thin the flat paint... turned it into semi-gloss....
    really perked up the appearance of our Jeeps.... :D :D

loudbang likes this.
  30. southcross2631

southcross2631

I did that too when I was in the army. I took a vehicle to vehicle of the month inspection. It was a 5/4 Jeep. I lost the competition because they said it looked too good as in too shiny for the army judges. The truck was perfect and they could not find a flaw anywhere except for the too shiny look.