Register now to get rid of these ads!

History One Old Proof Sheet (by Pat Ganahl)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HEMI32, Apr 5, 2021.

1. I'm a subscriber to "Pat Ganahl's ROD & CUSTOM" Blog (or as @pgan calls it, his "column") ... and every week, I anxiously await his latest installment.

Although not all of Pat's columns are "HAMB-friendly," I suggest that all HAMBers also "subscribe" to it as it's always a great read ... and it's FREE :D

At any rate, Pat's post for today (Monday, April 5th 2021) is very HAMB-friendly as it features photographs shot in 1939 & 1940 ... check it out:

pgrclogo1-5x2.png

ONE OLD PROOF SHEET
    April 5, 2021

I think it’s time for something old. Really old. Like 1930s and pre-War ’40s old. We’re talking Muroc dry lake and the birth of hot rodding–though not by that name, yet. The Southern California Timing Association (SCTA), the first “umbrella” organization gathering dozens of already existing roadster clubs, was formed in early 1938.

:
    :

proof2001.jpg

:
    :

proof2029.jpg

:
    :
    Enough? Enough. Plenty more to come later.

2. So, it seem that you are wanting me to fall away from the H.A.M.B., to follow another imposter wed site place. No way, I am not falling for it. :D

loudbang likes this.
  3. I too, subscribe to Pat Ganahl's site. While it isn't always my cup of "T", it is always interesting. Be thankful that Pat is sharing his knowledge and pictures with us.

4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where it all began ....... thanks Todd and @pgan !

5. 296ardun

296ardun

I just opened Pat's newsletter and saved some of his photos. They go back to the very early days of hot rodding, and some very famous hot rods are there: Karl Orr, Bob Rufi, Bill Warth, and many other pre-war pioneers. Pat G has done a lot to remind us of our early history.

6. I have sinned :rolleyes: and have visited this “other” site also. Oh well.

Great pictures and information on the early years of what we are addicted to.

Thanks, Too Tall!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. bchctybob

bchctybob

I always read Pat's newsletter. While I'm not a big Kustoms guy, there is always something to enjoy on there.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. fegsta

fegsta

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Todd, A big personal THANKYOU for the several times you have mentioned or promoted my column here on the H.A.M.B. And the same to others who have done so here, as well as their own sites. I appreciate all of you who appreciate what I do. But I'm afraid I just don't understand anyone who might think reading another column is somehow disloyal, or downright sinful. I've been a HAMBer for many years (and still am, of course). My column is miniscule by comparison, and only comes out once every couple of weeks. I hope most people feel it's a complement to what gets posted here daily. Sort of like picking up a small Rod & Custom or Car Craft off the newsstand once in a while when you of course subscribed to Hot Rod. P.G.

10. Keep them coming! Love the old pics and stories! Thanks Pat.

11. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Pat, I'm always happy to see a notification for a new column in my in box. :) You have a huge chunk of history in your files, and it's great you can share them with us.

hotrodharry2, HEMI32 and Blue One like this.
  12. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

It's weird to be a fanboy at 60, but I was a teenaged mid/late seventies reader of Street Rodder. Having been reared in a household where well-crafted prose was expected I will admit that I have a heightened appreciation of good writing. Thanks Pat for all you do and yes, there's room for your blog. Thanks Hemi 32 for your good sense to give Too Tall a shout out. Kudos.

13. SPEC

SPEC

Thanks Pat, you have a great insight to the past.

poss51kustom likes this.
  14. Umm? they are being sarcastic. Of course everyone in this part of the hobby loves your contributions across all forms of media.

Budget36, -Brent- and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have to agree with Trent here, Pat. Also agree with the part about everyone loves your contributions.

We have our share of thread-rage drama (as you are aware) but I see this like Trent.

Tman likes this.
  16. I am subscribed, and when a notification of a new post pops into my email, I stop everything to read it. Good stuff.

17. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

My interest is 47-55 Chevy Advance-Design pickups. While pursuing the internet I found a scan of a February 1977 Street Rodder article by Pat Ganahl entitled V-8 Juice For Your Stovebolt. Great article and lots of practical info on putting a SBC V8 in an A-D Truck while keeping the original front axle and steering.
    http://devestechnet.com/Figures/v8stovebolt.pdf
    Thanks Pat.

hotrodharry2 and Tman like this.
  18. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

someone is grumbling about this good info and we have Leave it to Beaver crap on here really?

Tman likes this.
  19. Love reading his column and seeing vintage pics of the way it was...

20. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Pat is the Eric Clapton of hot rodding ... I was unaware of his existence until the 13th revival of R&C ... I must have missed a great deal.

21. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really look forward to Pats old photo emails. Thank you for sharing your archives with us Pat.

hotrodjack33 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  22. Trent,

Agreed ... but unfortunately, "sarcasm" is mostly lost on folks reading posts on social media sites ... including on the H.A.M.B. forum and on The Jalopy Journal Blog.

Several years ago, I posted what I thought was an obviously sarcastic remark about one of the moderator's threads (about cup holders) being O/T for the H.A.M.B. ... next thing I knew, I was (temporarily) "banned" ... and it took several PMs back & forth with this mod & Ryan to resolve the "issue" ... since then, I've tried not to use sarcasm in my posts ... but if I do, I simply add the "rolleyes" smiley ( :rolleyes: ) and the "big grin" smiley ( :D ) to the "offending" sentence ... e.g.:

23. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Thanks Pat for all the info and articles!! I enjoy them............

24. Yes, i am all in. thank you very much Pat, for all you post here.

25. Rustygt

Rustygt
    from Emeryville

Let they be first to throw a rod bearing rather than suffer in silence !
    RGT

stillrunners likes this.
  26. Besty34

Besty34

Best thing on the internet

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

kidcampbell71 likes this.