Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Comet Value

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seb fontana, Apr 29, 2021.

1. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

6cyl 3spd, 2dr. 75k miles been sitting for 8 years. Interior/exterior looks pretty clean. I think it is a '61 or '62, cat eye taillights. Knowing that the fuel system/brake system will need cleaning/rebuilding and maybe the clutch is stuck but hopefully the engine is not is it reasonable at $2500?

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. RmK57

RmK57

Pictures would really help on pricing.

seb fontana likes this.
  3. jay t.

jay t.

60-61 have that style taillight, 62-63 are different. Check cowl under dash for rot

warhorseracing and catdad49 like this.
  4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

You right I will work on it.

5. adam401

adam401

I had a black s22 comet like almost 20 years ago. 22k original miles. Neat looking but mine had a 144 six cylinder. Thats a small engine. Your probably gonna want a v8 in there. Nowadays anything old if its solid and complete is worth consideration at 2500.00 in my opinion.

6. Up here what your describing I’ll take it as a clean driver car, some bumps and bruises but not a field find car.
    Would go up here for around $5000
    So yeah subtract what your money is worth to our maple syrup currency 2500-3500 sounds right depending on condition.

7. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check the floors and firewall thoroughly for rust. These are uni-body cars and rusty floors and firewall is STRUCTURAL damage. Being familiar with Northeastern cars, even some low mileage Comets/Falcons/Mustangs are too far gone to be economically saved

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Yep, cowl rot. The first-gen Falcons/Comets/Mustangs would rust out around the fresh air intakes under the dash, drenching your feet in the rain. Not an easy repair either....

lothiandon1940 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

[​IMG]
    Well best I can do for pics, friend wasn't too clear.. Comet is 4dr, 6cyl, 2spd auto yr is probably closer to 61'? 75k on car and 45k or so on Jasper engine rebuild. Interior is worn, seat rip at butt area. Couldn't get pic to load. Worst under rust is at front suspension [pic] other pics of underneath wouldn't load but rust is minimal. Side view pic is pretty clean but only one side of four. Lol.

Attached Files:

10. When you look at it, ask to spray some water into the cowl grill at the base of the windshield. If the floors get wet, it's got cowl rot. Use lots of water....

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Thats what happened to my '65 Comet, took out the floors too. Yes big pain to repair.

12. indyjps

indyjps

Body condition and rust damage is main concern in pricing. Those pics look like an eaten up car with tar gooped on. Check it well for rust damage.

13. jay t.

jay t.

Looks like a 62.

14. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Wow, a 2 door Mercury Comet Sedan. That one you found sounds like a starter. There are others still for sale all over the USA. A Google search brought this one up. It is a little rusty here and there, but it looks ok. Your skills will be what it takes to bring it up to “cool” status. Prices for old well used ones are for sale from $3500 to $5000, depending on what condition they are in when advertised.
    upload_2021-4-29_17-1-22.png
    But, again, if you have the time and energy to do a complete rebuild and upgrade with new stuff, those advertised are good starters.

Jnaki
    upload_2021-4-29_17-2-23.png
    thanks…@themoose

When our son was just turning 16, he already had his learner’s permit, had plenty of hours of behind the wheel training with me going all over So Cal, many times. Surface streets, freeways, winding roads, up hills and learning the most important thing for stick shift drivers: the dreaded “hill start”, using only the brake pedal, emergency brake handle/ gas pedal.

He was very attentive when we were both in my car. As we drove all over, those were his places to go, so he was getting used to different ways to get to his destinations. He liked that I knew almost every road in our wide Orange County area. So, those daily hours spent driving around gave him confidence and it also gave me a future, “not to worry,” scenario when he is alone.

I took him to see a Mercury Comet Two Door Sedan that an older couple had driven it around our neighborhood. It was cool looking stock, a baby blue color and the interior was pristine. It was parked about a couple of blocks from our old house. He liked it as it stood with stock hubcaps and the stock stance. But, I told him I would put on some Moon Discs and this is what it would look like finished. He was enthralled that I would offer something for his first ride. He did not know about American Racing 5 Spoke Mags, but that was fine. He wanted a reliable car to drive to school every day and to his afterschool job.

He wanted a different car after seeing what that Comet would look like in his thought process. Then, we took him to see a real live small Ford Station Wagon, with the hopes that the wagon would cover his interests in camping and going to the beach.
    upload_2021-4-29_17-4-1.png
    To spice up the plain blue, small station wagon, we told him that some add-on accessories would look good on that small wagon. I knew that any plain car or station wagon would always look better if we added some new wheels and possible paint if it needed it. he just wanted a reliable car and did not care what it looked like. The idea of his first car and freedom was thrown in that conversation somewhere.
    upload_2021-4-29_17-4-40.png
    If he did not like the small Ford station wagon, I could always make it look cool with paint and wheels. Then my wife and I would use it for our expanding landscaping project-mobile. Plus, the surfboards were now in the 7-8 foot category and would easily fit inside when walking away from the station wagon. (not needing any exterior surf racks) You just needed some different surface stuff, like Astrodeck patches or strips. No wax, as the heat still creates a melted mess inside of any station wagon or car.

Our teenage son, at the time decided that he wanted a nice 5 speed 2 door sedan similar to what his friends were driving at the time. So, we found one from Texas and it fit him perfectly for the next 100,000 miles with little to no repairs. The sedan was in Irvine, as the previous owner was now working for a big corporation out West.

ffr1222k likes this.
  15. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Doesn't look like it has had the upper ball joints changed yet. Don't hit the brakes hard in reverse.
    The clutches are maybe 8'', and last about a year ...

16. southcross2631

southcross2631

I paid a grand for my 65 Comet 6 cylinder 3 speed that was DSCF3721.JPG a running driving car that needed floor pans.
    I am still getting leaves coming out of the cowl vent every time I pull a holeshot. Of course now it has a 334 stroker and a 4 speed with a 6.00 gear.

17. I snapped one up probably around 2007 or so for 1100, front floor pans were nonexistent. Overall solid V8 equipped car. In todays dollars 2500 is not too far out of line. I want to say good luck on finding model specific parts, that sounds right but it's been a while.

18. The difference in value between the 2dr you originally thought it was, and the quadraport it turned out to be is significant.

1934coupe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Thanks all. Since it is a 4dr and a 6cyl [lite parts] updating one thing [like engine] will snow ball into updating alot of other things, I recommended he not get into it.

20. You're a good friend.

302GMC likes this.