Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs WIRING GURUS Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jakesbackyard, Apr 26, 2021.

1. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

I’m close to finishing the wiring of my 49 Ford Ranchero with a Painless kit. Have a GM column out of a 90 S10. Finished up all the lighting today.

When hazards are turned on all four work as they should.

Both left turn signals work as they should.

Right signals on...only rear works...no right front.

Any ideas?? I’m at a loss. Thank you.

2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

3. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Which ground as bulb works on hazards, but not on signals?

Frankie47 likes this.
  4. Dyce

Dyce

Does the indicator in the dash work? It sounds like a bad turn signal switch.

Wanderlust likes this.

5. Do you have ground at the socket / power with signal on ?

see what’s coming out of the switch

out of the relay

6. Yep, it's almost certainly a bad turn switch. The hazards and the turns don't use the same set of contacts in the switch, so sounds like a bad turn contact for the right front. May be a broken wire in the switch also.

jakesbackyard likes this.
  7. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Thanks all. I’ll check out the switch tomorrow.

8. squirrel

squirrel

Did you carefully check for power and grounds at the right front bulb, first? just for kicks? That's where I'd start....and work my way back to the switch, in the slim chance that it's not getting power from the switch.

Sockets and their grounds are the problem 95% of the time...but not always...

9. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Figured it out. I had led bulbs in it. Checked all power points and lit up test light so I put a regular bulb in the right front. Works so I put regular bulbs in front park lights and all is well.

saltflats, das858, VANDENPLAS and 3 others like this.
  10. Ken Smith

Ken Smith
    Alliance Vendor

They have electronic flashers that will work with LED bulbs.

11. squirrel

squirrel

So...was the light on, but not blinking off? If so, knowing that at first, would have been helpful to help you troubleshoot.

12. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

No. Didn’t come on at all yet worked fine on hazards. That’s what baffled me. So checked RF wire coming out of switch and it lit but didn’t blink. Put in regular 1157 and worked. So put regulars in both fronts and all works well. Actually brighter than the leds because points out toward the front. LEDs have bright lights around side and bulb sits in a tube.

13. squirrel

squirrel

pretty strange...thanks for adding the details.

I never use LEDs on cars, so I'm not experienced with the strange things that can happen with them.

olscrounger likes this.
  14. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Leds have almost no resistance so won’t make the flasher work. But usually will light up and not blink. They make special flashers for leds. I have used led tail lights only on my last two builds without problems. I was going to use leds in front this time also, but had a regular flasher in. So regulars in front will be just fine.

15. LED lamps actually have high resistance which is why they draw very little current. I'm going to guess that the LED current wasn't enough to 'burn through' some small amount of corrosion/dust on the RF turn contact, but the incandescent current was enough.

I'm not surprised that the 1157s are brighter, most LEDs have poor photometrics in vintage lamp housings.

squirrel, 57 Fargo and HotRodWorks like this.
  16. I've had the same exp. I was blaming it on the contacts on the bulb not connecting with the pins properly.