Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Tether Cars

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Ryan, Jul 22, 2008.

1. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

IMG_3308.JPG
    My early collection (1999) left to right Dooling Frog, Dooling first series, Dooling F Car

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    A Boner, EL MOE and lurker mick like this.
  2. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Love the F with the modern colors. Nice collection.

rotten ron likes this.
  3. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

Hi Thanks. If you would like to see a few better pictures of this car page 17 of this thread.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  4. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

One off home built custom--I think. I have never seen another one. A well thought out, well constructed direct gear drive car. Cast aluminum chassis with a hammered aluminum body. A post war Hornet engine. Ron
    IMG_3325.JPG IMG_3326.JPG IMG_3328.JPG IMG_3329.JPG IMG_3330.JPG

A Boner, Speedtwin, EL MOE and 3 others like this.
  5. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

Oops! On December 20th I posted pictures of a Richter Streamliner and used the text I had written for an Interceptor. I've corrected the text and left the pictures of the Richter in place. Sorry for the error. In my advanced years I think I'm turning into Mr. Magoo!
    Ron

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    A Boner likes this.
  6. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

1949 Homebuilt spur drive. I wished I knew who built this car. For 1949 it had many unique features and I would have liked to give him credit. I think this is the only example of this car ever made. Starting off with the body a one off cast aluminum--very unusual design. It is powered by a Hornet engine and has a centrifugal clutch built into the flywheel. Also, well designed independent front suspension. Each axle has a small spring underneath it and can be adjusted by the screws on top of the axles. It has two gas tanks. A large one that feeds a small one under the Hornet cylinder. There are two air vents on each side of the body with an aluminum shroud to cool the engine. And to the right of the Hornet a battery box holding two AA batteries. See the last two pictures where the car was shown in the Rail and Cable Magazine January 1950. I fell this is a very special car. Ron
    IMG_3354.JPG IMG_3357.JPG IMG_3358.JPG IMG_3359 (1).JPG IMG_3361 (1).JPG IMG_3362 (1).JPG IMG_3363 (1).JPG IMG_3364 (1).JPG IMG_3365 (1).JPG

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  7. Lepus

Lepus

This is one of my favorites. Too bad you can't find any info on it.

rotten ron likes this.
  8. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

Thanks Lepus

9. Rick J

Rick J

Ron, I wondered when you'd show this car. I think it's in the background of one of your other posts, and it looked really interesting...and it is! I see a LOT of engineering went into putting this one together. That front suspension is really slick!

rotten ron likes this.
  10. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

Thanks I am glad you like this car. When I got the car it was in pieces to much for me to figure out. My good friend Wayne Short help me put it back together.

11. The magazine says its a "Glo Plug job" but it is obviously a full ignition Hornet engine. I assume the magazine was in error.

Mick

rotten ron likes this.
  12. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

Mick When we received the car it had all the pieces to run glo or ignition. We decided to put it back to coil and condenser. Ron

lurker mick likes this.
  13. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

The one I sold and wish I didn't. Rare Rare Rare. Way back when I started collecting I bought five cars in a lot. Sold the car below and another for what paid for the five cars. Thought another one would come along. Wrong in twenty years I have seen one other and it had a recast top. The car is a post war Yano Mfg. in Japan. Few were made and I really dicked up selling this one. IMG_3300.JPG

A Boner, Lepus and lurker mick like this.
  14. Martino

Martino

At the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn Michigan is an awesome display of Tether Cars !!
    Here are just a few pics I took !!
    Definitely a must visit !!

Attached Files:

A Boner, EL MOE, lurker mick and 2 others like this.
  15. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

Martino Thanks for posting. I am looking forward to going to the museum latter this year.

16. Rick J

Rick J

Glad to see they are displaying the cars. Every time I've looked at pics on their website in the past, they've been labeled as not on display.

17. Martino

Martino

Here are some more from The Henry Ford !!

Attached Files:

A Boner, Speedtwin, 35cab and 4 others like this.
  18. Misbehaven

Misbehaven

Here is a tether slingshot slot dragster built and raced in the 60s in second owner. IMG_2325.JPG IMG_2326.JPG IMG_2327.JPG IMG_2328.JPG IMG_2329.JPG IMG_2331.JPG

I JB weld almost everything the rest I use bubble gum.
    Life is to short to do it right the first time

rotten ron, Lepus, Speedtwin and 2 others like this.
  19. falcon2

falcon2
    from michigan

Really getting old worked in a hobby shop where they sold these

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Lepus likes this.
  20. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

1940 Atwood Cabin Car as raced. This Atwood was manufactured by Champion Products, Los Angeles, CA . It has an aluminum cast top and bottom. The car came in front drive but this one shown is driven by a gear box in the rear. I have seen others that were either converted to rear drive or Bill Atwood built a few as prototypes. The Atwood car was competitive coming in first place in the April 1940 California championships in front of the Dooling Team who came in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. My car runs a Super Cyke engine and Voit wheels. Ron
    IMG_3374.JPG IMG_3375.JPG IMG_3377.JPG IMG_3378.JPG IMG_3379.JPG IMG_3380.JPG

A Boner, 48fordnut, Rick J and 3 others like this.
  21. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

D&M Special 1946 manufactured by Decker and Madsen. After the war Roy Richter was involved with his new company Bell Products. He sold the molds and the rights to build the Richter Streamliner to Bill Decker. The chassis is almost an exact copy of Richter's car. The cars were sold in kit form. All machine work done, but the buyer had to carve his own top. The castings on this car are magnesium. I took a closeup of the front axle in the middle and you can see the D&M logo cast into it. Whoever put this car together did an exceptional job laying out mechanics of the car. Ron
    IMG_3521.JPG IMG_3522.JPG IMG_3523.JPG IMG_3524.JPG IMG_3525.JPG IMG_3526.JPG

22. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

Home built--sort of. About 15 years ago there was an auction in a small motel in Kansas City. The deceased owner had turned the motel into a machine shop. He spent the last years of his life living in one unit, and doing miscellaneous small jobs, but mainly building tether cars in the other five units. About 20 cars were auctioned away with the lathes, Bridgeport, and other equipment. I ended up with three of his cars. I kept the one I liked the best. As you can tell he did very nice work and custom built all of his cars including the 60 size billet engines (similar to a Yellow Jacket engine). The aluminum pan is machined and top is carved out of wood. Ron
    IMG_3512.JPG IMG_3514.JPG IMG_3515.JPG IMG_3516.JPG IMG_3517.JPG IMG_3518.JPG IMG_3519.JPG IMG_3520.JPG

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  23. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

1939 Dooling Mercury Midget, also known as First Series Front Drive. The most elusive of all the Doolings. It was the first production car by the Dooling Brothers. It came in kit form with a wood tail and aluminum sheets to construct the main body. Mine had a custom aluminum body put on at a later date. All series one cars are front wheel drive and usually have a Dennymite engine. I bought this car at Sabbatini's tether car collecto and was told by the seller that it was found under a house in Los Angeles. It was in very rough condition (see last picture). I had Wayne Short do a mild restoration on it cleaning up the oxidation and putting on new front frame horns. There is no record on how many were originally built, but Eric Zausner estimated in his book between 75 and 100. There have been many reproductions of this model. Ron
    IMG_3588.JPG IMG_3590.JPG IMG_3591.JPG IMG_3593.JPG IMG_3289.JPG

24. Rick J

Rick J

Kudos to Wayne. That's quite the transformation!

rotten ron likes this.
  25. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

1940 Matthews Achiever. Manufactured in Fresno by Percy Matthews. Percy was known for his excellent quality castings and was successful as a company building tether cars. The Achiever was unique in that it could be purchased as a front or rear wheel drive according to your preference. This car came from the Franny Wolf collection and uses a SuperCyke engine. Only between 100 and 150 units were made. In my opinion it is one of the best looking cabin cars. Ron
    IMG_3582.JPG IMG_3584.JPG IMG_3585.JPG IMG_3587.JPG IMG_3586.JPG

26. Lepus

Lepus

I just won this at auction. A67-1.jpg

27. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

Lepus nice find. with your skills as a machinist I know when you finished with it, it will be outstanding.

28. Rick J

Rick J

This Speedway Pacemaker is one of my favorites in my small collection. The color is great and it looks like it's ready to get back on the track. It was one of my first cars. You can tell from the pics where it came from (thanks J.P.A.!).

PACEMAKER%20#65-6246.jpg PACEMAKER #65-6248.jpg PACEMAKER #65-6247.jpg PACEMAKER%20#65-6255.jpg

29. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

EL MOE and Rick J like this.
  30. Lepus

Lepus

The last part of the auction where I got the Dooling Frog ended yesterday, and I put in a last bid that would have won this car a second or two too late. Can anyone tell me what kind it is? 024.JPG

rotten ron likes this.