Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A Tidy Three-Window

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Apr 23, 2021.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

A Tidy Three-Window

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

akkhotrod, AHotRod, catdad49 and 13 others like this.
  2. I've always dug the Fedora 3wd.

Here's some of Bill Rolland's images from the HRM photo shoot:

Andy Fedora Deuce 3wd Coupe - photo by Bill Rolland (1).jpg
    Andy Fedora Deuce 3wd Coupe - photo by Bill Rolland (2).jpg
    Andy Fedora Deuce 3wd Coupe - photo by Bill Rolland (3).jpg
    Andy Fedora Deuce 3wd Coupe - photo by Bill Rolland (4).jpg
    Andy Fedora Deuce 3wd Coupe - photo by Bill Rolland (5).jpg
    all images by William Rolland ©1961

3. I like seeing that they installed a small block chevy without cutting up the firewall.

I really was referring to the fact that they installed a engine with a rear distributor and did not hack the firewall.
    Vic

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    Stogy and Tman like this.
  4. goldmountain

goldmountain

Look again, Vic. Not a Chevy.

Stogy likes this.

5. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

The article says it's a '56 Merc.:rolleyes:

Stogy likes this.
  6. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a clean looking hot rod.

Stogy likes this.
  7. Nicely done car. one I revert back to for simple, functional & sano ideas. From the simply fabbed & mounted upper shock mounts, to the white painted tie rod ends..

Stogy likes this.
  8. I’m wanting to build a set of headers for my highboy and those look like something I may copy.

Stogy likes this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember studying those photos for a lot of hours when I was 14 when that magazine came in the mail.

Stogy likes this.
  10. chiro

chiro

Anybody know what the bumpers are from?
    Andy

Stogy likes this.
  11. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

I'm no expert but they look like stocker 32s with some arcing on them outboard of the frame rails.

Stogy likes this.
  12. Man, that is close to perfect, not just tidy.

Stogy likes this.
  13. Squablow

Squablow

I'm mostly shocked by how much space there is behind the seat. Flat floor too, the car looks cavernous inside!

panhead_pete and Stogy like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Andy was 5'6...;)...or that's what happens when you don't channel and chop...

I was thinking the same thing actually...I suppose it's mainly due to a bus style seat which is adjustable by the looks of things rather than the Fuller Stock style seat that obscures the area below and behind with padding and sides...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    brady1929 and Squablow like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Diamonds and Deuces are a man's best friend...:D

Agreed awesome Hotrod...where is it now?...I hate to imagine...:oops:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    brady1929 likes this.
  16. Very nice, and I love the Y-block. But those seat brackets ...

17. Nobey

Nobey

We all know how hard it is to make something look simple and easy, it's an art form in itself.
    All the little subtle touches, like the hidden hood latches, really make you appreciate this man's
    car.

Stogy likes this.
  18. I'm not feeling the seats, they look like folding chairs or something like that. Everything else is 100%.

D-Russ likes this.
  19. Motor is a Ford Y block or yes a Merc

20. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

three on the tree

21. jnaki

jnaki

“…White paint? Not so much. Whatever the reason, I’ve always loved early-’60s-style hot rods with white accents. Axles, differentials, shocks, firewalls and—best of all—inner fenderwells. If you live anywhere with precipitation, this may not be the best approach (unless you love cleaning, that is). But there’s no denying that these touches bring the car back to a flashier time in hot rod history.”

Hello,

For a while during the early 1960 time periods, white undersides, firewalls and the complete motor area had white paint as a means of giving the motor some neutral contrast to the colorful motors. Little did they know, it scored points at car shows, but the preparation and upkeep for daily drivers was horrendous.

After driving around with a full blast of the powerful spray wash hoses, it looked rather clean and nice. But the distance from the spray wash hose area and the houses made the spraying almost useless. The tires kicking up road grime and whatever laid a nice layer of dust, dirt and grime on the white undersides of our hot rods and sedans.

In the beginning, those white undersides were amazing at car shows. The chrome and contrasting colors stood out quite well. So, like all teenagers influenced by something nice, the jacking up of the car, jack stands covered with canvas, the spray cans of white came out and those bottom areas were totally sprayed a nice white paint.

When we finished crawling out and standing back, the bottom areas were pretty nice and looked cool. The stock yellow paint on my brother’s 51 Oldsmobile sedan looked quite cool. It also looked super clean. But, one day and night’s cruising around made the white paint look dirty and it took several days to have the road grime cover up the white paint.

My friend’s 57 Chevy Bel Air 2 door hardtop was the first guinea pig. He wanted to make his black Traction Masters stand out underneath. He also liked the black drive shaft and silver mufflers in contrast to the white floor undersides.

The headers were silver and fit right into the color scheme of the 57 sedan. The Chevy sedan look clean and wonderful for about two days. Within the next several weeks, the 57 Chevy Bel Air got lowered, making seeing the white bottom moot. Now it was only the wheel wells, but the tires covered most of those openings.
    upload_2021-4-28_4-7-37.png During this white bottom stage, we worked in a Christmas tree lot and our friends would chuckle at the white bottom matching the white flocked tree that we tied on top for delivery to our neighborhood friend’s homes. It was as if we drove over some snow in a white car with a white flocked Christmas tree tied on top.

Jnaki

Of course, the white undercarriage did not last long and when it rained, the bottom looked worse than if it was the normal black. Black undercoating sprayed on looked better on our black 1958 Impala. But, it took several months to let the white bottom of the 57 Chevy to get fully covered with the normal grime.

In a way, it did not matter as I was the only other person to see the bottom when we did some work on the 57 Bel Air Hardtop. It was on a lowered Cal Rake and no one was able to see the white, now dark grime bottom.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    robert edward hudson and J.Ukrop like this.
  22. Refreshing to see that.

23. Great blog/coverage of the Fedora 3W

24. AHotRod

AHotRod

I love it !!!