Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. 97

You need to get that plug outta there and leave it out. As Craig Owens said the clutch will slip if too much oil collects there. If the oil leak is bad, you probably need to drop the sump and check the return tube and the rear main oil groves are clear ,not blocked and also check rear main clearance and crank end play , ( maybe all the bearings).
    In fact rather than writing a long rambling post on Joey's build thread , this is the best up to date explanation I have ever read on the subject .
    http://pvmafc.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6609

Dannerr, Outback, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  2. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Yep just had AER rebuild my engine and Rich explained all of this to me.The engine does not seem to leak much or any oil but i only have a few hundred miles on it.Will keep an eye on it thanks.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

It isn't just Ford that provided for oil leaks on the drawing board. Using it to lube the ball sounds totally Henry. You just have to love the guy's frugality.

4. If the rear axle castle nuts were loose enough to allow some movement be sure to check the keys in the shaft, number one cause of them failing is not enough torque on that castle nut. I run them down to 250 ft/lbs and then some more if the cotter hole doesn't line up. It's crazy to think about putting that much force onto the threads but they gotta be tight. On a side note you'll probably be able to pop the drums off without much effort. The bearings should be fine, they are pretty long and flat roller bearings so a bit of in/out movement won't bother them.

chryslerfan55, Six Ball, 97 and 2 others like this.
  5. 97

V8 axles are torqued to about 200ft lbs but are heavier than Model A , only 100-125 ft lbs for Model A axle nut. Make sure the axles and hubs are clean and dry and have full surface contact (as near as possible ) . Lapping with valve grinding paste is recommended , but make sure you wash it all off with brake cleaner or similar before you assemble , and do not get any grease on the taper. Also there is a seal in the inside end of the bearing and another one under the hardened flat washer on the outside, it is just a thin fibre washer .
    Mikes Affordable has everything you need for a bit over $20.
    https://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/M4240.html

6. slowspoke

slowspoke

Loving this story!

J.Ukrop likes this.
  7. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Pretty sure Model A rear axle nuts require 100 ft lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. catdad49

catdad49

Joey, you sure are living the life! Thanks for taking us along, Carp.

9. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

This thread makes me want to work on my old cars and bikes. :cool:

10. Yay man Street is Neat

Outback, Stogy, J.Ukrop and 2 others like this.
  11. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Great info, thank you!

I plan to do just that! My cast iron drums will be heading back up north this week, and with them I will also be receiving new bearings and seals. I'm sure I'll have some questions when it's time to put everything back together.

Thank you! It's been very fun thus far and there are some exciting things happening down the line.

Excellent, thanks!

I'm doing my darnedest! Thanks for coming along for the ride.

Those are some of my favorite builds of all time. I can't wait to see them out on the road!

I'm going to save my CB radio install for another version of the build!

12. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I've spent the past few days working on my motorcycle, getting it ready for today's Spring Kick Off Run. It was a blast running 30 choppers with some of my best friends along the California coast—the ocean on one side and the woods on the other. Don't worry, I was taking notes for a future roadster ride. IMG_4552.jpg
    "Less honk, more tonk."

Amidst the motorcycle tune-up, I managed to make a big step on the car. On Thursday morning, I picked up the glass and securely installed it in the windshield frame. IMG_4516.jpg
    I still have to install the Heli-coil for the lower stanchion, but overall I couldn't be happier. It looks so much more like an actual car now. It's funny. Every time I go down to the garage, I have to do a double-take. I plan to get some finger tabs for the frame to rest on, allowing it to sit back with some rake. More on that later.

Tomorrow, I plan to work on the Heli-coil and make some progress on the Gaz taillight. They're calling for rain, but we'll see how accurate that is. I may be able to slip out for a test drive!

Oh, and like I mentioned in my previous post, my cast iron drums from Randy Gross will be arriving this week. I can't wait to see them and get them on the car.

13. 97

Couple of favourite quips when people bag roadsters and rain.

"Coupes are made for Chickens" :rolleyes:

and the one I am applying to you in this instance;)

You are not made of sugar , are you?
    :cool:

14. Nobey

Nobey

Is that an original Sparto tail light you have on your Harley? Have fun rolling up the coast.....

Outback, Stogy, J.Ukrop and 3 others like this.
  15. Scrapbmxrider16

Scrapbmxrider16

Stogy, J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  16. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

A motorcycle guy worrying about getting wet in a roadster? o_O As long as it doesn't hold water and fill to the top of the doors you'll be OK.:rolleyes:

Outback, Stogy, J.Ukrop and 5 others like this.
  17. 97

This from Bass on his iconic 50s style roadster build and adventure thread

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    Outback, Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  18. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

This I Ralph on a wet day in the Marvin Web Roadster.
    FullSizeRender.jpg

19. 97

Have you got a link to or more pics of the Marvin Web roadster

Outback, Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  20. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    I let Flag Girl Amy drive the '29 at the Dirt Drags on the last day....we all got wet. That's when the hard core folks come out to play in their cars....

Outback, catdad49, Stogy and 9 others like this.
  21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

97, I have some pictures I took of it in it's present state at Ralph's house and some others I found in line.
    OK, About everything I have on the car is scattered over a few pages in this thread, There may be a picture or two before Jimmy B's post but most is later. Ralph is the wet guy driving home and I'm the guy with the beer!
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...correct-hot-rods.422177/page-79#post-12263455

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  22. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hahah not at all. I run all my machines in all types of weather. My only concern with rain was getting a bunch of water down the bologna slicer stack and into the carb. I'm thinking I may get a Stellings-type air cleaner for those rainy days. I don't feel like running the hood just yet!

It is. The bike was originally chopped in 1971 and it has been in place since then.

Thank you! Rustoleum Gloss Almond is the color.

Hahah good thing I have holes in the floor!

Love this car and just about everything else Brian builds.

Looks like fun!

23. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yesterday ended up being a productive day. I spent the afternoon installing my Perma-coil, situating the windshield and making sure everything stays in position. As an added bonus, I installed the weatherstripping on the bottom and the sides, which helped eliminate the gap between the lower windshield and the dash rail. A tedious process for sure! It seems kindof like a silly task to take on right now, but I know when I have my top I'll be happy that I did it.

By the time I was finished, the sun was out. It didn't waste any time—I hit the road. Driving with a windshield is a game changer. It feels more like a car and less like a motorcycle, strangely enough. From what I can tell, having the frame and glass in place adds a bit of longitudinal strength. I love it.

Once I finished my errands, I made my way over to my friend Haley and Ilya's place in the Presidio. I've known Haley since high school, and they were both super excited to see the car sitting in front of their apartment!
    IMG_4559.jpg
    Since it was such a nice night, we decided to take the car to dinner on Clement street. It was their first ride in a Model A, and they were big fans. It was funny parallel parking it in front of a nice restaurant (where some of the patrons were very confused and others were less-than-enthused).
    IMG_4567.jpg After dinner, I made my way back home as the sun was setting. The perfect end to a Sunday drive.
    IMG_4568.jpg

24. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Today was a busy work day, but I managed to slip out to the garage to take on a fun task: installing the old chrome side timing cover. I had a feeling that things have been going a little too smoothly as of late, and I figured I may uncover something I wouldn't like in there. Lo and behold, that's exactly what happened.
    IMG_4578.jpg
    That's not any good. For a split-second I considered keeping it as is, considering it runs just fine. But then I realized that the goal here isn't to rush and get it on the road—it's to get it running safely and reliably. I consulted a couple of friends and the Les Andrews book and concluded that the gear needed to be replaced. Although this means no more driving for a little bit, it's better to be doing this in the garage than on the side of the road. So, the question is: should I get a fiber gear or upgrade to a metal one? I'm leaning towards fiber. Either way, do you all have a favorite source?

Looks like I'll have to get the new gear and the correct tool. Also, while it's all apart, I'd love to put an old chrome or aluminum timing cover on the front. I know they're rare, but it's worth asking. Does anyone have one I can buy?

As I get ready to order parts, I couldn't help but put the chrome side cover in place. The engine is really coming together! IMG_4580.jpg

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Can’t recall ever hearing a single good thing about a fiber gear on any engine. I’d upgrade, got it apart anyways

J.Ukrop and Stogy like this.
  26. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

The single good thing about a fiber timing gear is they are quieter.

winduptoy, J.Ukrop and Stogy like this.
  27. Regarding which gear to install, might help to ask the banger guys on the Ford Barn.

J.Ukrop and Stogy like this.
  28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

For ANY performance a metal gear. As said above the only virtue of a fiber gear is they make less noise. Maybe it's time to slip a hotter cam in it to make better use of your carb, header. and new metal timing gear.:rolleyes:

29. Why do I get the feeling you were grinning like a Cheshire cat the whole time.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

jim snow, 97, OFT and 4 others like this.
  30. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

I think this guy's got the idea!

Outback, J.Ukrop, Six Ball and 3 others like this.