Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Jegs cut 40 plasma cutter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They all require very dry air, that's half the battle. I use mine on 220, paid $799. Jasic it has been a real time saver. One off muy favorite tools. Wear #6 shares.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  2. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Yes bad consumables will cause your problems, as well as not being adjusted right.

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

The one I mentioned had a built in air pump.

4. And somebody gave it to you?? Lucky ass :rolleyes:

Roothawg likes this.
  5. Roothawg

Roothawg

Only lucky if I can get it to work. Otherwise, he’s laughing at me now....

6. atch

atch

Lloyd,

I'll be watching to see your results. You will post up won't you? If it works well I might be tempted to follow in your footsteps.

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Now don't get me wrong guys but I think if you have an oxy acetylene torch and you still have a steady hand your bucks ahead. :D Hell, your gonna grind it anyway. Lippy

alanp561 likes this.
  8. southcross2631

southcross2631

That looks just like my CAT brand . Even says Cut40 on the front. I bought off ebay about 7 years ago. Still going strong. Consumables are no problem. Uses standard Miller parts. Or Harbor Freight parts. I think most of them use the same consumables, I may be wrong on that. My neighbor just went to the local welding shop and bought consumables for mine.
    I have cut out many floor pans with it and I even loaned it to my neighbor and he didn't kill it.
    I have used it to cut .125 wall tubing and .095 DOM roll bar tubing. Worked really good. wouldn't quite cut 3/8 plate . required 2 passes.
    Mine uses 220 volts.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  9. slowmotion

slowmotion

In for the Lloyd's review. If it's worth a shit, everybody aughta have one at that price...:D

10. unfinished

unfinished

My 20 yr old Miller finally died and I replaced it with this. I haven't used it yet, but the JEGS is even cheaper than the blue lite special I bought!
    upload_2021-4-19_7-22-51.png

11. AGELE55

AGELE55

Screw Hobart. I bought a Hobart and spent too much. It was “ok” until I was cutting an inside angle and it overheated the tip and fried the plastic handle. Replacement parts are $$$ NOT CHEAP. I bought a new wand only to learn, it still won’t work. I’ll be buying an eBay special to replace it. I can fry three or four for the cost of the Hobart.

12. topher5150

topher5150

The hardest part about getting one of these is convincing "the boss"

alanp561 likes this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

I’ve never heard of that with any plasma cutter. That sounds odd to me it could happen. Not discounting your post, but just seems weird, kinda like melting a torch tip on an O/A. Ruined a lot of tips, never melted one;)

j hansen likes this.
  14. My Thermal Dynamic's is 31 years old and still going strong. Only does 3/16ths but for what I use it for, it still fits the bill. Can't imagine not having one after all these years. I make all my own 4-bar, coil-over, and suspension brackets, not to mention sheet metal repair. Generic consumables work fine and are reasonable in price. Dry air is the key to making them live.

15. AGELE55

AGELE55

Cutting along the inside corner of an angle iron bed rail. The heat trapped in the corner and reflected back at the tip housing. It melted the plastic grip where it holds the little contacts to tell the motherboard that the tip retaining cup is attached, so it would fault out with a "cup" light flashing. The new wand simply jumps the contacts, but still no joy. Cant draw an arc. It now collects dust on a back corner bottom shelf.

16. Hey atch, ran it for a while today on some 11 gauge, i was running it on 220v at 25amps and it works great. No complaints from me.

damagedduck and hotrodjack33 like this.
  17. Well it doesn't shoot an arc out when you push the button, but you don't have to scratch it like stick welding, once you get close to the workpiece it starts burning. Works great for my money and what I use it for.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  18. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Aw Lloyd, that's too bad. You know, whenever you get a new tool that works well, one of your other "working well" tools is obligated to "shit the bed". It's the circle of life.:(

19. Budget36

Budget36

it has a trigger, right?

If so, don’t pull it then take it to the workpiece, get it ready the pull the trigger. Saves tip life.

20. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Amazon has the same one for like $150 this one just has a jegs sticker on it

21. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

My Ozzie (240v Chineseum) plasma cutter-stick/TIG welder. It's worked well every time I've used it. 20130706_102555.jpg

22. AGELE55

AGELE55

Dammit Lloyd ! This is all your fault...lol. I bought a new el cheapo plasma cutter off of Ebay and was way impressed with it ... until a couple weeks later. I tried to use it and shit... a bright white "lifeless" arc. Troubleshooting revealwd no air flow. Further investigation and I found a damn mud dabber nested in my air line. What are the odds.
    Had to disassemble and blow out the hose and internal gizmos. Works 4.0
    Still your fault...lol 20210814_122854.jpg 20210814_125629.jpg

23. Lol I'll take the blame my brother :D

24. Forgot about this, thought id say a few words :D the Jegs cut 40 is working great. I've cut out a lot of trunk pans, floor pans, bolts, and a couple sets of rear end saddles. If you ramrod it into your material it does fuck up the tip. It came with one set of consumables, i went back to Jegs to buy more :eek::eek::eek: $40 for one of each!! Well, i guess they got me..... I've learned to control my distance, works much better. You can only use a guide on the tip when you're cutting something flat. And that's not often. BUT.... if you bought one of these also, go on Amazon, type in cut 40 consumables. $27 for a box full. But all in all, i love it, and I'm glad i bought it. ;) don't be scared, it's already paid for itself in my shop... 20210919_121257.jpg

Shadow Creek likes this.
  25. Don't forget, you can run this plasma arc on 120v up to 20 amps. I've never tried it because my 220 extension cord reaches the entire shop, but if i needed it to, i could

AGELE55 likes this.