Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Graham08

Graham08

As far as locating the tail light goes, if it has tapped holes on its back side, you might want to invest in a set of transfer screws the appropriate size, like these:

https://www.mcmaster.com/transfer-screws

They would thread into the tapped holes on the back of the tail light leaving a small point exposed. Once you have the tail light centered where you want it on the deck lid, tapping on it (or the sheet metal from behind) will transfer the hole locations allowing you to center punch and drill from there. I have collected several sets of these in different sizes over the years and they can be a real life saver when you need to transfer blind hole locations.

chryslerfan55, J.Ukrop, Jrs50 and 5 others like this.
  2. Transfer screw is a great tool, you can also have your buddy Dave whip some up on his lathe.

Attached Files:

Outback, Uribe, chryslerfan55 and 5 others like this.
  3. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Great advice and very well explained. I will be giving this a try.

Thank you for following along. More fun is in the works!

Excellent, thank you. Prior to this project, I had never heard of these screws. While disassembling the intake, I asked David what was up with the pointy hardware holding on the carb. He explained that they were actually old transfer screws. Definitely something to keep in mind!

Agreed!

catdad49 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Today I went on a writing field trip to Roy Brizio's shop in South San Francisco. While I was there, I was able to check out a few interesting projects that provided plenty of inspiration for my build. As you know, I'm always taking notes.
    IMG_4280.jpg
    The AMBR-winning Dick Williams T roadster.
    IMG_4284.jpg
    And this incredible, original Midget racer that will be getting a V8-60...ARDUN! Note the blown flathead-powered Deuce roadster on the lift.

As far as my roadster goes, I'm making progress on the taillight assembly. I hope to take the glass to the shop tomorrow and I'd like to also Perma-coil the lower stanchion. We'll see how it goes!

5. SR100

SR100

Maybe a small project like this would be a good place to start learning to use a lathe.

6. Budget36

Budget36

Would infer the person has a lathe;)

I have two lathes, little Logan and a big Hendy, used them both for a long time. Took a machine shop at the JC a few years back, man, what you can learn when being taught how to do things the right way. Even sharpening bits. About the only thing I did in the class that impressed the instructor was how to put the jaws on a chuck and sharpen a drill bit. Lol

7. Nobey

Nobey

Wow, I always wanted to tour Roy's shop, maybe some day I can afford to have him restore my roadster,
    thanks for the photos.....

J.Ukrop, chryslerfan55 and winduptoy like this.
  8. 97

Is the V8-60 a real Ardun or an Emilsud ? From memory there were only six Ardun conversions made for V8-60.

J.Ukrop and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Agreed! No room for a lathe in my place, but I may be able to convince a friend to let me use theirs.

Once things return to normal, I'm sure he would be happy to have you. It's pretty amazing to see how they put these cars together. You would be hard-pressed to walk in there and not see a historic hot rod.

I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were getting one of the six. I'll ask next time I talk to him.

catdad49, chryslerfan55 and Six Ball like this.
  10. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I spent this evening in the garage chipping away at a couple of projects. The taillight assembly is wired. I now have to run those wires back to the dash and then drill for the taillight. Maybe I'll do that this weekend?

When I went to go call my friends at Golden State Glass, Yelp notified me that they had permanently closed. What? I was just there last month and things seemed fine. I'm going to walk over tomorrow and see what's going on. I hope they're still around; they seemed like some very nice guys who did good work.

While thinking about what to do next, I wandered over to the driver's side and took a look at the door. If you remember, it has remained shut since I've gotten the car running. The reason? The body was warped, causing the latch to stay hooked on the striker. "What would it take to get it working again?" I asked myself.

First, I cued up The Black Keys, who released a new song today (with ties to the Doors).

Next, I took apart the assembly and started test-fitting and filing. Remembering what @SAVAGE told me all those months ago, I really leaned on the body to try to straighten it out. I heard a small pop, which at first made me nervous. Then, when I tried closing the door, it fit way better. After more filing, sanding and a little bit of grease, the door opens, closes and latches. I'm happy to say both are fully functional. How cool is that? Now that that's sorted, I'm going to plan out some 1x1 steel bracing for the inner structure—and get the decklid to actually close all the way.
    IMG_4302.jpg
    Repop latches—some kustomization required.
    IMG_4303.jpg
    What do you do once both doors shut? You dig around to see if you can figure out what thread the tops are so that you can find toppers. Anybody have any extras laying around that I can buy from them?

11. I used a Honda inertia switch, which proved to be the same as the one in my Ford. Key point is to mount it solidly. It also sits in a different orientation than you would think. IMG_20200308_143710295.jpeg

Sent from my moto g(8) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Six Ball like this.
  12. SR100

SR100

His friend has one, and he's already planning on going there...
    I'd assume that if Joey had a lathe, he'd already be using it, or at least learning to.

13. 97

Another job for a lathe! Make a custom knob for your door handle/latches. .
    I think the thread is 1/4 UNC from memory. Common old Stove bolt size 1/4 20 threads per inch . I hope you are not assembling this hotrod with metric bolts! :eek:None of those junk Chinese dime store nuts are going to fit. They will probably be metric, no matter they are guaranteed to be soft and useless.Break as you tighten them. :(

chryslerfan55 and Six Ball like this.
  14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

When my son and I got him to Lubbock, in the '54 Stude wagon, to attend TT we found a watchmaker's lathe in a pawn shop. We took it back to the motel and plugged it in. The lights went out and the room filled with burning rubber electrical smoke. In a few minutes a motel worker came to our door and smoke literally poured out when I opened the door. He informed us that something had blown the main breaker but power would be back on soon. He never made the connection but I bet he wondered what we were smoking. Jake replaced the cord on the lathe and had it in his dorm room for a couple of years. A lot go guys used if to sharpen pencils. He still uses it for little jobs.

15. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Wow, I can see why you snapped that pic, that must be the only arty tribute to the horse drawn baffle in the world...

[​IMG]

Outback, catdad49, 48fordnut and 3 others like this.
  16. Budget36

Budget36

I skimmed over that info. Point taken:)

17. RodStRace

RodStRace

Go down to Chinatown. Find something interesting and the right size to use as a handle.
    Drill and tap as needed.
    Local flair and handmade to boot!
    Bonus points if you can find something with a left and right hand match.

18. 97

Make a pair with a drill, drill bit and tap a vice and files .Carefully center drill a 5 inch piece of 3/4 inch aluminum bar , from each end and tap the holes to suit the lever. cut it in half , thread the first piece onto a long bolt correct size and hold the bolt in the drill. Use the file to form reasonable taper and a domed top, finished them off with various grades of sandpaper.
    Or you could find a suitable piece of wood, probably wouldn't even need to use the tap just screw it on.
    There is another way, make the hole way too big, then fill it with west system epoxy and filler, once it is set heat the bolt and it will unscrew leaving a perfect thread , which is as strong as metal.
    Who needs a lathe?

Outback, Carter, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  19. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

This just in—I’ll be driving the roadster to San Francisco’s Ocean Beach car show in the morning. I’ve been chipping away at some small things all weekend. Details to follow. Also, if you’re in the area and free between 8-10, swing by and say hi! [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. When do you sleep?
    It seems you are always posting in the middle of the night, even if I adjust for the time difference.

21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Good luck on this adventure! Give us lots of pictures of the roadster at the beach.

Outback and Stogy like this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Haha you guys forget what it’s like to be that young?

im ok needing more sleep but dang the metabolism would have been nice to keep lmao

Stogy, warbird1, Six Ball and 3 others like this.
  23. 97

It's 7 am here in NZ, I don't think I can make it to the show in time today, besides it's already Monday here, but have fun at your roadster's first car show Joey. Lots a pictures and video , especially of what the punters reaction is.
    I also worked until 2 am on my truck, sleep is way overrated . I have a 5 hour trip in front of me today and a full 8 hours work to do once I get there., dunno if I will be up to driving home afterwards, that might be pushing things at my age.

Outback, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  24. Photos of the show, Joey!

25. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The issue is we have not forgotten what it is like to be young we just notice the difference. :rolleyes:

Outback, kidcampbell71 and Tim like this.
  26. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_4455.jpg
    Today was one of those days that will stick with me for as long as I live. It was filled with hot rods, amazing friends, great food, vintage choppers, and plenty of fascinating conversations with people from near and far. I'll share the full rundown tomorrow but, in the meantime, here's a very happy hot rodder and his homegrown Model A roadster. (It's hard to tell, but that's the Pacific Ocean behind me.)

27. 97

Hot Rod is incredible Joey, but I cannot see the Pacific for wall and fog! When I get home ,later in the week , I will find you a picture of the other side of that same Pacific in the other hemisphere. The only thing is the roadster is a mirror image, ....right hand drive, facing South and it's upside down. :rolleyes:
    Just think , about 8 months ago yours was a less than complete , project on a trailer . all the pieces that hang off the motor were rusty in need of lots a love, nobody was even sure if it WOULD run . Actually I think with your optimistic outlook, YOU were the only one who KNEW it would run! You have found parts and people with parts , who nobody else, even knew about and while doing all that, you gained a worldwide following .

28. Looks great!

29. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

What 97 said plus you are taking us along and letting us be a part of the adventure. We feel the excitement and remember our youth. What a gift, THANKS!

Outback, Stogy, J.Ukrop and 3 others like this.
  30. Rustygt

Rustygt
    from Emeryville

Al Engle of the Jokers has a v8 60 Arden on an engine stand plus a bunch of other great mills

kidcampbell71 and J.Ukrop like this.