Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 Ford Roadster P-51

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AULIZ, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Things are really coming together @AULIZ sometimes 'likes' warrant a higher appreciation...the color looks fantastic...

I sure hope you have some strong arm friends to help you move these items around as they are more than enough to cripple a healthy back and more...

I suspect a man as mechanically astute as you, moving stuff around is just another extension of same using dollies, block and tackles, straps, hoists and careful planning...

Continued Thanks Auliz for sharing the adventures over your way...say hello to Oskar for us...;)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    brady1929 likes this.
  2. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks.

Frame, flathead block.... I lift myself. Body is heavy and too big for me, need to call friends help me.

Spring is coming here in Finland like there in Canada too. Days are warmer and longer.... Bright time is from 5.30 to 20.30 , days are going longer and longer. Oskar is sick. I told him two days ago that need to have more clothes when he was play and jump outside.... believe or not, he didn´t wear and now he is sick.... Spring weather is strange...

Aulis

VANDENPLAS, brady1929 and Stogy like this.
  3. AULIZ

AULIZ

Few days ago I tow body to my friend´s car painting company.
    Aulis

20210401_131633.jpg 20210401_131706.jpg

brEad, 32SEDAN, VANDENPLAS and 3 others like this.
  4. AULIZ

AULIZ

Epoxy primered firewall, seat frames, etc.
    Frame is waiting for parts. Maybe later this week I paint tranny and rearaxle. After that I start to bolt on stuff.

Aulis

stoker-563.jpg stoker-564.jpg

brEad, Ottomotive, VANDENPLAS and 5 others like this.
  5. nuppi

nuppi

Looking good!

Stogy likes this.
  6. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

Fantastic job you do, i like the way you work and follow your own red string.
    a long close friend just moved back to finnland this january after living in Switzerland for nearly 50 years.... quite a challange.
    Anyhow i will follow

Stogy likes this.
  7. fegsta

fegsta

Yep can you remember your parents saying take a coat or pullover even if you don’t wear it. You will have it if you need it. Wish I new then what I no now. Get well soon Oskar. Roadster is looking real good. You will be out in it this summer?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy likes this.
  8. Roothawg

Roothawg

Stogy likes this.
  9. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Everybody.
    I enjoy so much working with these different hot rod projects..... I try to keep that feeling on, so I don´t spend too much time (daily) in garage.... During Easter I was weld 1m x 2m (160kg) steel table wich is needed when they cut rollerchains and leafchains in our company main warehouse. Small extra jobs like chaincut -table or 1941 lincoln rear axle rebuilding are good to break for own building. Also give little extra money...

Today arrived come stuff from DalaKrom Ab , Borlänge Sweden. Micke has done again great job. I finished own parts ready for copper and crome. 1935 pick up headlights, headlightstands and horns were rough. They removed crome, made basics and now those are like brand new.

For me only +3" chopped windshield frame, draglink, draglink ends and pitman arm.
    It was small Christmas for me.

Today only sanded down firewall, steering columntube and fixed another 1932 ford rear shock. It was leak heavily, so I welded and lathe shock valvetap, sealed it with new o-rings etc.

Tomorrow, Thursday, I will paint rearaxle+driveshaft, firewall and tranny

Aulis

stoker-567.jpg stoker-568.jpg stoker-569.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    brEad, 32SEDAN, nunattax and 4 others like this.
  10. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

don't want to know, what a big or huge christmas is for you ;):D looks decent job.

11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

That colour is making me hungry as it looks like milk chocolate! Samsung phone? What happened to Nokia?

Looking really good! I hope Oskar is getting better...

12. AULIZ

AULIZ

Nokia = That old finnish company. They were number one in global markets, but ...... they made wrong choises like they didn´t belive touch screen... many problems....

Anyway, phonebusiness was then "money making" business. Not so many manufacturers ... Now a days same technology is used plenty of manufacturers

Nokia is still one of those three big network builder. 5G etc.

Hitech companies grow up fast and product living time for new models are very very low. but they also come down fast. 100y ago nokia made rubber shoes, slowly they moved to bicycle, car tires.... they splitted that field from hi-tech technology 50-60y ago. They made color TV´s (early 70´s) .... That time Motorola (US) was big and Ericson (Swe) was big too. I was selling mobilphones end of 80´s and digital tel.centers too in local telephone company. I remember how nice was Ericson Hot Line. It was like "shoebox" but much more developed than Nokia mobile phone. Prices were around 20 000 FIM (Finland Mark) = 3300 -3500Euro/Usd. Few years later Nokia was developed strongly and their phones were smaller (handmodel)... 1st text message in the world were send from Nokia etc etc.

Nokia was good basic for today Finnish business culture. Very much hitech companies (angry birds, F-secure, Supercell, Rovio, Remedy Entertainment, Bugbear Entertainment, Sulake, RedLynx, Frozenbyte ja Housemarque....). Need to remember that Finland wasn´t developed country 70-80y ago like for example Sweden was. We had only sawmill, few selluloose, cardboard -factories, but mostly acriculture.
    Developing has been huge, people has forget that, here in Finland.

Many finnish say this is not good place, I can tell that I like because we still have old technology (steel, mining, forest, sawmill, selluloose, carboard, metalindustry, ship building (marine engineering).... but also that hitech is very strong. Good economy is mix.economy. I pay 32% tax, but we have good system (copied from sweden...) and maybe we are little foward Sweden now a days.... don´t know.

Now need to sell bearings and go to paint hot rod stuff.

Nokia: Network company
    Nokian: tires

I still use my dayjob Nokia 3310 (new slim model. price 35euro). I can talk 2days without charging. Small size to keep in 501 front pocket,.... I use samsung 6 only to read email, what´s up or take pics in garage.

My rod color: I am accustoming
    Aulis

Aulis

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  13. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Thanks for the history lesson Auliz.

14. AULIZ

AULIZ

Sorry about those "finland short stories (novella)". Im very interested in all what happen everywhere. When I was living in CA, I was very interested in to learn their history, culture, see places, learn to known places, visit in companies (afr, total cost involved, socal speedshop, cw moss, scat, ross, arias, vintage wheel works, paw, bae brad andersson, currie enterprices, ......)

Thursday.
    More painted parts.
    Mainbrakecylinder bracket arrived from California.
    Only $40 + sh, good price.

aulis

stoker-570.jpg stoker-571.jpg stoker-572.jpg stoker-573.jpg stoker-574.jpg stoker-575.jpg

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    brEad, Irish Mike, Ottomotive and 6 others like this.
  15. AULIZ

AULIZ

Friday was bolt on day.
    Aulis

stoker-576.jpg stoker-577.jpg stoker-578.jpg stoker-579.jpg stoker-580.jpg stoker-581.jpg stoker-582.jpg stoker-584.jpg stoker-585.jpg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    brEad, 35cab, Maicobreako and 7 others like this.
  16. AULIZ

AULIZ

Tranny, rear speader bar ...installed.
    Tank need to remove once more and polish it.

I have drilled 2,5mm deep notches (driveshaft tube and rear axle) for brake line. Maybe now good situation to install brake lines. I found one rear brakeline set, but that is mean to follow wishbones, so cant use that.

I think my friend has not spray yet empty body. That is good, because I have so much things to do with frame, brakes, axles... 20210410_102917.jpg

Update:
    Sunday morning. Mr. Oskar is still sick, so we take easy, not very much bicycling etc. Before breakfast we made paper drawing. Next week I can leave it to glasscompany, they can cut 6mm windshield. Rubber seal must buy from finnish industrial shop ETRA Oy. I note that they have many different size U-seal on stock.
    https://www.etra.fi/en/u-strip-flat-sole-e52072205

20210411_095138.jpg

Aulis

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Ottomotive, x77matt, SPEC and 5 others like this.
  17. AULIZ

AULIZ

This week has been too busy. No time to built hot rod... Dayjob is "bottleneck".

Today I installed rear backing plates, shoes etc inside of drums. Also drums installed with new snaprings and seals.
    First time wheels there bolted on.

Tomorrow I polish fuel tank, install emergency brake cable, handle,...
    Tomorrow , Friday evening, my friend is spray basic body. I pick it up home on Saturday. same time we put it on its place.

Aulis

20210415_144516.jpg 20210415_150626.jpg 20210415_151328.jpg 20210415_174010.jpg 20210415_174107.jpg

brEad, Stogy, Ottomotive and 4 others like this.
  18. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

Auliz when you post I read every word. Thank you for the novella, good info, glad you shared it. That cover of the little paperback "Hot Rod" brings back memories, I read that book some 45 years ago. I quote your statement often about being un married. Something like, when I was married, few hot rods. Since not married, many hot rods, do as I like.
    Wisdom, appreciate you sharing it.

19. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hello Paul
    Hahaa,... Im just joke about married ... Here if other american car owners are wonder "why You have so many hot rods or american cars" , I answer (like we talk here = directly = no small talk shit) "I realized after divorce that it opened me many doors. I have been living in CA, I have built many hot rods, I have go bed when I want, I eat what I want, I see relatives if I want, I drive american car meetings if I want,...... I do everyday what I want....".

Of course that is not 100% true.

My goal is enjoy everyday with hot rod hobby. Enjoy and not do it too much, because if spend too much time with cars it slowly feels shit. Everybody must find their own balance. I have been big accidents in industry. 1995 I was falling down +9meters (+30feet) and they keep me weeks unconscious, they think that Aulis is quadriplegia. 1998 second same style accident when I built my semitrailer (see pics: www.auliz.fi).... 1990 we had here strong economical downtime, rush. I was 25y old I lost my business, very big number dept, I lost my name (bankcards, not get loan from banks...) I worked +5years all over between Siperia - Norway. Long days 7days a week. I was nearly paid all back when big accident was happen 1995.
    1996 I get big marketing deal with Neste (finnish oil company. Leader in renewable fuels (diesel,....) and paid rest of my depts out using that sponsor money. Back in zero level!!! No money, no dept = good situation = free.
    2003 I lost very much (divorce) and moved to USA. I had only 15 000usd money in my pocket, that´s all.
    I had return ticket in my pocket (w/o date), if not have money to be there after few months....

So, if have now possibility to built hot rods, enjoy and have fun daily => I really do it.
    Here in Finland they think mostly: Aulis is jaunty,.... but they don´t remember my hard times and all that faith to get back normal life. Many have lived easy, normal and sure living from year to another. They don´t understand, if somebody else has had big big shit in their life. Many here talk shit behind my head, but I do not care, because they do not really know what is hard life to live years 20usd/16euro for food / week. sleep in barracks, send all money You earn to get paid big depts...

Sorry, little backround info.

I care about my son and his mother (we do not live together). If they have everything Ok, I have too. Next is own health. After that comes hot rods, home, dayjob, ..... Never think what other car owners are doing, because everybody do what they can. We have different resources and lifes.
    Thanks God, we have here in Finland plenty of Am.Car owners who are care what I do !!!! It gives me more energy! hahaa.

Aulis

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    brEad, RustyBullet, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  20. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

Wow Auliz, that is a fantastic comeback story. Not only from some life endangering, coma-inducing injuries, but paying your debts and working your ass off to do it. I was thinking yesterday after I wrote the response that it's odd, with these shared interests, a half a world away. I don't know you but I have respect for how you approach things; you get a lot done. Now that includes your grit. People talk about having mental toughness, you lived it. Here in the USA all too many people declare bankruptcy and walk away from their debts.
    Keep it up Auliz, you are inspirational. I haven't been through anything like you have and nobody describes me as jaunty. If people think you are jaunty (I'm guessing fun-loving, happy go lucky) that's a compliment. 99% of the people who've been through all the shit you've experienced (survived?) are undoubtedly not happy go lucky. Congrats brother.

brEad, Stogy and fauj like this.
  21. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks Paul.
    I try my best, but try to keep hot rodding hobby, not job.
    When its job, its not original early style hot rodding anymore, something missing....
    I really like everything old, homemade, not too "bling bling" but original things. Like old houses, furnitures,... those have very much to tell and teach us how people were living before us.

to earn enough for living good safety life is enough. somewhere it costs very much. Here not so much, but if You ask here all finnish say "too much"....

Yesterday, Friday, I made handbrake. Late 30´s lincoln bendix brakes, 1939-40 cable, homemade rod, old rod ends, new cromed handle and homemade handle bracket. Now works like "old train toilet" (only hole behind trottle).

Today picked up body from my friend´s car painting company. I like.
    pictures posted later

Aulis stoker-589.jpg stoker-590.jpg View attachment 5037285 stoker-592.jpg stoker-593.jpg

bymanr, brEad, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  22. AULIZ

AULIZ

Saturday morning I carry empty body home.
    Next week will put in on frame.
    aulis

stoker-594.jpg stoker-595.jpg stoker-596.jpg stoker-597.jpg stoker-598.jpg stoker-599.jpg stoker-600.jpg

bymanr, Mark Grabo, warbird1 and 10 others like this.
  23. j hansen

j hansen

^^^Very nice^^^

Stogy, fauj and nunattax like this.
  24. Looking great…

Stogy and nunattax like this.
  25. Jim Spin

Jim Spin

Great start. Mine is a 29 with a 59AB. 239 flatty 60 over cammed two old strombergs Got it tuned reallwell and runs good When finished you will love it. fun to drive

Stogy likes this.
  26. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sirs.
    Now all parts are painted.

Today I installed brakecylinder and bracket, made brakelines from wheelcylinders front to main clinder.
    I used old aircraft clips for brakeline mounting.

We have early spring here. few weeks ago we had very much snow, but now it´s +15dec Celcius outside. front side of my garage maybe + 10dec Celsius more, so I can keep door open and enjoy sun same time than try to built hot rod.

Middle of May I built engine. before that I can install brakes, body on frame, dash and gauges, wheels and tires, brake lines all corners, bolt on body panels (cowl top, dash, panel between trunk and cabin, trunk lid, rear panel.... 20210418_100803.jpg 20210418_100808.jpg 20210418_100818.jpg 20210418_103052.jpg 20210418_121839.jpg 20210418_133658.jpg 20210418_133708.jpg 20210418_133718.jpg 20210418_133732.jpg

Aulis

bymanr, brEad, AndersF and 3 others like this.
  27. Just read the entire thread! Amazing story and an another amazing build! Great job!

Stogy likes this.
  28. old hickory

old hickory

Nice project, I love seeing these old ones come together correctly.

29. old hickory

old hickory

Looking tidy, keep up the great work.

30. old hickory

old hickory

nice workspace.