Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rear Model A spring eyes too wide - loose shackle bushings

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Crotty 32, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Crotty 32

Crotty 32

I am mocking up my ‘32 roadster project and found that the Speedway 3/4” OD shackle bushings are quite loose inside the So-Cal speed shop Model A rear buggy spring eyes. Quick check on the digital calipers and the ID of the eyes are 0.7715” instead of 0.75”.

What are the thoughts on a fix? Do I try to heat and hammer the eyes to squeeze them down to an ID of 0.75”? Or should I find a different shackle set up with some bronze bushings that have that wider OD to fit the spring eyes better? Any vendor recommendations?

Many thanks!

IMG_6092.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

I think the first thing i would do is call So Cal and ask why they sell a spring that is not standard size ! If the hole is not round, like squeezing it a bit would fix it, that would be great, but how to do that cold will be a challenge. heat not recommended. Gobs of JB weld?

3. rusty valley

rusty valley

Easiest would be make some bigger nylon bushings on a lathe

treb11 and 3quarter32 like this.
  4. Those Speedway bushings are junk anyway. A hard unknown plastic. Ask Socal what bushings they prefer.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    bchctybob and Jim Bouchard like this.

5. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So Cal should be able to set up up with a bushing that will work. If not, try Pete & Jakes. If making one, I would use brass. Most likely can find a ready made bushing with a slightly bigger OD and turn down to fit. Maybe McMaster Carr or a spring shop. This is all assuming that the spring eye is fairly round.

6. Oilite bushings. Make your own.

Tman likes this.
  7. Crotty 32

Crotty 32

So I’ve got an inquiry out to SoCal asking for bushing recommendations for their irregular ID spring eyes. I also searched for a spring shop near me and apparently the oldest in America is in the next town over! Started in 1849 and still going strong - I love that. I may swing by there next week to see what they can do and for how much.

I’m also looking into Oilite distributors to see if I can purchase something close to what I need and somehow make it fit without a lathe to turn it down on.

Seems to me that I will be ditching these Speedway nylon shackles and move towards a grease-able shackle set up. Anyone have experience with these from MacsAuto? https://www.macsautoparts.com/1928-...MIuITxiceD8AIVY8qzCh3mWAOgEAQYAiABEgI3QPD_BwE

8. Those are way better than the Speedway ones

9. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

warbird1 likes this.
  10. sdluck

sdluck

Try McMaster and Carr

11. Crotty 32

Crotty 32

I’ve never heard of McCaster and Carr - quite a resource and selection. Thanks for that tip. Couldn’t find what I needed there, though.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the Third Gen Auto shackles? Part #A-5630-KT? The listed dimensions of 6x4x1” do not make any sense to me. I’ll likely pull the trigger on this set up if I’m sure it will fit. Then I’ll head over to the local spring shop to ask them to whip up a spring eye bushing that will fit this oddball OD spring eye for me.

Thanks all for the help.

12. jimvette59

jimvette59

Try googling Bunting Bronze I used them years ago to order oillite bronze.

13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have any of you made shackle bushings out of Delrin/Acetal? I've turned out a lot of motorcycle chain tensioner idlers with it, and it seems to be a pretty good candidate for shackle bushings too. Harder than a whore's heart, works easily on the lathe.

winduptoy likes this.
  14. butch27

butch27

My rear ones are made of Delrin--- no trouble

winduptoy likes this.
  15. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’m using the stock type spring eye bushings on my roadster like the ones from Mac’s or Snyder’s. I could measure one for you and get back with the OD?
    EDIT: The bushings from Snyder's measure 0.755" O.D. No help with your problem.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  16. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

Limeworks in California used to sell oilight bushings

17. Crotty 32

Crotty 32

Thanks for checking for me

18. Crotty 32

Crotty 32

Oilite could be the way to go for me. I may also need to invest in a lathe or a friend with one to turn these down to a snug fit inside this wacky ID spring eye size

19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

P&J's does offer a 2.25 wide X 7/8th OD urethane rear spring bushing

20. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Speedway Motors lists 3/4" bronze bushings on page 5 of the most recent catalog part # 910 33329 designed for the 2-1/4" shackles however, could probably be trimmed for 2" or 1-3/4" as needed.