Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Little 302 help for a new to Ford's guy...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nikwho, Apr 14, 2021.

1. nikwho

nikwho

Hello fella's... I've got an old '30s Ford traditional hot rod/frankenrod project going. I'm in need of some help!

I'm installing the engine today, transmission in car already. I'm guiding the engine in and tilt it to align flexolate with transmission and get engine mounts over engine stand, when oil start puking out all over my driveway!!!

First, I don't know why I filled the engine with oil prior to having it in car. Stupid, perhaps, maybe divine intervention? I'm new to all block Ford engines. There's a bearing on the back of the crank. Some kind of pilot bearing. Is this where the oil likely came from? The C4 that its being mated to doesn't have anything that goes into that hole!

This has raised a lot of questions. Why is it puking oil? It dumped about a gallon out, I'd guess...

Additionally, is there a way to tell if the rotating assembly requires 28 oz. or 50 oz. flexplate and harmonic balancer? I've got an older 28 oz balancer and flexplate, as well as a 50 oz. balancer that came with the engine. Its a newer block (roller era block), but with HFT camshaft. I bought it from a mechanic friend, who took it in trade. It's all fresh machine work, lots of good parts. Picked it up for super cheap, so a little investigative work is worth while.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If all the flywheel bolts are in the only thing I can think of is the rear main seal was not installed or a issue with the oil pan seal and gasket.

3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Yeah, shouldnt be any places for oil to dump out of the motor.
    Was it trans fluid from the torque converter?
    Be sure the converter is ALL the way on before bolting the motor or youll break the pump and lose most of your gears

hotrodjack33 and Deuces like this.
  4. There shouldn't be a bearing at the end of the crank if you're connecting it to an automatic. Not even going to respond to oil issue yet.

Randall likes this.

5. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Oh brother :oops:......
    I just don't have the time right now to give an answer to all this....

oldiron 440 and caper like this.
  6. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

You say it has a pilot bearing "on" the back of the crank- but you're installing an automatic? If so, the pilot bearing has to go. Something is way off :eek: Pictures would help

7. Pull the flexplate back off and look to see where the oil is coming from. Pan gasket, main seal, cam plug, oil galley plugs are all on the back of the engine. Look at the balance weight on the harmonic balancer and measure it's size. The 50 is considerably larger than the 28. You can find a pic to compare to see what is on the engine now. If the roller cam block has the original crank assembly, it will be 50 oz. As stated, the pilot bearing has to be removed. I'd be glad you found the oil leak before you got the engine in. Less redo at this point.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  8. Just as a side note...I always found it easier to bolt the transmission on to the engine first before installing the setup.
    The Ford is no different from a Chevy in respect to oil leaking and removing a pilot bearing if you are going with an automatic. Are you bolting the torque converter to the flexplate before trying to assemble it to the trans?

hotrodjack33 and Flathead Dave like this.
  9. greybeard360

greybeard360

1968-80 302 engines were built with a 28-ounce imbalance factor.
    1981-2001 302 engines were built with a 50-ounce imbalance factor.
    One piece rear main seal started in 1981.
    Roller lifters in 1985.

More than likely the oil came from the flywheel bolt holes as mentioned.

hotrodjack33 and oldiron 440 like this.
  10. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I agree with 56don.
    Install the motor and trans as one piece.
    You'll get a far better alignment with the torque converter and the trans and the motor.
    Why is there a pilot bearing?
    Maybe the oil splash is from a non existent or bad rear seal or bad gasket on the oil pan.
    Pictures would really help.

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

There's two different flex plates for both imbalances depending on the tooth count, two types of C4, pan fill and case fill.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Should be asking the mechanic friend that you got the engine from??

Flathead Dave and hotrodjack33 like this.
  13. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This may be too obvious, but is your dipstick tube installed? With out it, you could certainly could loose a lot of oil out of that hole.:eek:

14. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

First engine swap I ever did was in 1972. I was putting a 289 in my OT '70 Maverick. I changed the bellhousing on the C4 for the V8 and then bolted the torque converter to the engine. I ended up having to get a rebuilt transmission and did it the proper way, all most. . . I wanted to hear the engine run so I started it up before putting ATF in the trans. I rebuilt my first automatic trans and it actually worked. . .for a while. Then I put in a 3 speed and yes, I did install a pilot bearing. Shortly after that I did my first rebuild on the 289. It did run very well until I blew the clutch and busted the block. I did a lot of firsts and learned a lot on that Maverick.

As others have said, best to install engine and trans as one unit, and take out the pilot bearing first.