Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Brake drums

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by easyrider47, Apr 12, 2021.

1. easyrider47

easyrider47

A couple of years back I bought a set of Ford backing plates with shoes and wheel cyclinders. They are 11" brakes. I'm not sure what they came off of bit I need to find drums that will work with my backing plates.I have a 40 dropped axle with dropped steering arms and hubs, just need drums. Any suggestions? Thanks, Mike

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I think 1949-52 (ad perhaps later) use 11 in. drums. I know 49-51 Mercs do.

3. rusty valley

rusty valley

11" ford are most likely F100. 53 & up .got pics?/

Just Gary likes this.
  4. Or F-1 '48-'52. Backing plates assy are the same 11x2 brakes; but the hubs are different; which calls for different drums. If you put some pictures up; I'm sure they can be ID'd.

rusty valley likes this.

5. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

I've seen some unlikely match ups over time, is there a book on interchange?

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are threads on here on putting both F-1 drums and backing plates and 53/56 F-100 drums and backing plates on 39/41 round back spindles.

I've got a set of 52 F-1 drums and backing plates in the shed for my round backs and can get some photos in a few minutes.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is the backing plate and drum that I took off a 52 Ford F-1 to use on my round back spindles.
    Looks like I am going to be buying a new drum or two when I put it together though. IMG_1223.JPG IMG_1222.JPG IMG_1224.JPG IMG_1221.JPG

8. '80 Bronco rear drums are what you will need for those F-1 hubs.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll put that in my notes.

10. easyrider47

easyrider47

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

Dumb question. What are the flanged areas for inside the backing plate? Prevent grease from getting slung out?

12. rusty valley

rusty valley

If i understand the question, the flanged area is the grease retainer. Its held on by the 4 backing plate bolts. pre hydraulic were round, hydraulic 39 & up have the flat area on the top to clear the shoe spring

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    seb fontana likes this.
  13. The posted picture by Mr 48is not a self adjusting set up. If you add later self adjusting hardware to F-1 or F-100 brakes the cable does not clear the rear corner of the grease baffle. A little trimming of the shield will be needed.

I am curious about what you are referring to concerning the spring on '39-'48 Lockheed brakes; the only spring runs across the flat upper side of the grease baffle.

Sent from my Nokia 2.3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rusty valley likes this.
  14. rusty valley

rusty valley

By golly Rich, you are correct as usual ! You deal with this stuff on a much more regular basis than i do, running on memory can have bad results. I guess I was thinking about times I have seen that baffle installed upside down, then no clearance for the spring. thanks for correcting the info for the OP, and maybe...my memory?

15. My understanding was that the grease retainer was to catch the gear lube that leaked past the rawhide oil seals of the day.

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yeah, I bought a set of 53-56 F250 backing plates and I was thinking I could remove the baffle. I am sure the newer seals have to be better now. Is it really a necessity to have it?

17. Both wheel bearing grease and seals have changed for the better since days past; so probably no real need for installing the grease baffles.

On the other hand it is not a big deal to use the things if you have them (along with Henry's original square head bolts).

If you are using bolt on steering arms they don't work very well.

HemiDeuce likes this.