Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well he had Mufflers here and there depending on ejection here and there...I had an ejection problem as well but with me it was those round carb filters in the 94s blowing out and landing on the road...so frigging embarrassing...:D

@J.Ukrop can you not drill a hole and thread a small bolt or sheet metal screw into the baffle...

I installed these into my metal baffles and did that to anchor them...they aren't going anywhere...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    brady1929, bchctybob, J.Ukrop and 2 others like this.
  2. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Leaks:Your Model A loves you and knows you like Triumphs. It is trying to comfort you and say thanks for getting it back on the road.

catdad49, J.Ukrop, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  3. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chryslerfan55, J.Ukrop and Stogy like this.
  4. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

First of all, the Model A purists are going to have a fit but here goes anyway. @winduptoy is right on with his advise. I only have a couple of comments to add. This comes as experience and experimentation. Disconnect the brake rods first and adjust all the brakes to the same drag. Then continue with the procedure. Take out as much slack as possible. Now, what we do is go to our friend's place with a gravel drive and perform a "skid test". From there we can do a fine adjustment. Got a dirt road somewhere?

5. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excellent addition,
    Thank you
    Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

If you're still spitting the baffles, why not use some safety wire?

Drill a couple small holes on opposite sides in the outer edge, 2 at 9 o'clock and 2 at 3 o'clock, and wrap the wire out and around the flange, or use the bolt holes.

Just thinkin' while drinkin' - coffee, ya mugs! it's a little early yet for anything stronger.

EDIT: or baling wire, if you're totally committed to period-correct. hahahaha!

Outback, catdad49, J.Ukrop and 2 others like this.
  7. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

If you really want your baffles to stay put, get two flanges that match the flanges on your header and then have your buddy with the welder tack weld the baffles to the new flanges. Then the baffles should slip into the pipes as they do now and two bolts per flange will hold them in just fine! You also could add some Snuff-or-Nots such as these.
    http://www.geekbobber.com/2017/01/snuff-or-nots.html
    A buddy had a set of these on his Norton that he built in the early 60’s!

8. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

That’s exactly my plan! It’ll be a custom solution that I’ll be able to work on away from the car. Hopefully I’ll be able to put them in place this week.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Although progress on the car is a little bit slow right now, hot rods have been fresh in my mind. Here are some highlights from here and there. IMG_3931.jpg
    Hanging with @tdog in Omaha. We have a big project in the works, and I'll be sharing more on it later.
    IMG_4104.jpg
    Journalism action photo by John Cobb.
    IMG_3979.jpg
    Tom's dad's Chevy-powered survivor Deuce cabriolet.
    IMG_4132.jpg
    Back in the Bay Area. The start of a second hot rod project?!
    IMG_4130.jpg
    One of my new favorite lunch spots in San Jose. The tri-tip sandwich is top-notch.
    IMG_4172.jpg
    Over the weekend, I spotted some early iron in Bend, Oregon.

Right now, I'm waiting on my new baffles and I'm planning my attack on the rear brakes. My PermaCoil for the lower stanchion is in the mail and I'm finalizing the internals for my taillight. Next week, I'll be working with the glass shop to get the windshield sorted. Little by little, it's coming together.

Dannerr, Outback, catdad49 and 22 others like this.
  10. Roguss

Roguss

Love watching the progress!

11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

When you are running down leads and parts you have to eat. If you wind up in Concord the best ribs and brisket in the Bay area are at Barney's Hickory Pit on Clayton Road in the old El Monte shopping center.

12. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your paint color just came to me...”Lunar Camo”

Wuduya think?

13. I can't see it!

catdad49 and J.Ukrop like this.
  14. Nobey

Nobey

Joey, I sure have enjoyed watching your build. Thanks for taking the time to share all the photos
    and parts hunting adventures. Hope you'll make it down to the central valley with the car some time
    so we can all see it.

15. organgrinder 1

organgrinder 1

KEV!!! don't want to hi-jack thread but need to get ahold of you man! last phone i had with you in it got trashed...lol i'm getting the organgrinder ready to head out your direction pulling a teardrop (after i finish building). shoot me a text when you can 501-982-4100

Outback and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you! It's been a little slow as of late, but I'm hoping next week will be productive!

Ooooh man, you're speaking my language. I go to Concord fairly frequently, so I will for sure have to try the Hickory Pit. Making me hungry.

Love it. Kind of like Moon Mist. (Not the pop, that's a totally different subject!)

Hard-to-see-highboy

Thank you! It has been a fun, sometimes challenging project so far. I can say for sure that it wouldn't be this far along without all you guys' help. Once the bugs are worked out, I would love to make the trip!

17. A Boner

A Boner

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    chryslerfan55 and J.Ukrop like this.
  18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Although I was out of town this weekend, I made a little bit of progress on the car this afternoon. Perhaps the most exciting thing is that I received a whole lot of parts in the mail, including:

Side timing cover gasket
    Speedometer cable (which was on backorder for months)
    Perma-coil kit
    Taillight bulbs
    Secret car-related birthday gift that I'll open up and share exactly one month from today (!)

The first order of business was uninstalling the old baffles (which were prone to shooting out) and slipping in another set that will fit better, complete with a little bit of safety wire to keep them in place.
    IMG_4255.jpg
    Well, I got them situated, rolled out the roadster and fired it up. Not only was it loud, it also sounded bad. The exhaust note was tinny and it reminded me of a baseball card in the bicycle spokes. Nonetheless, I took for a drive to see how the acoustics were on the road. I definitely liked the old baffles better.

Because hot rodding is all about trial and error, I yanked these baffles out and popped the old ones back in. I fabbed up a pair of safety tabs to make sure they don't shoot out again. The paint is drying on those, so I hope to have some pictures of the setup tomorrow.

Speaking of paint, I was able to check a fun item off my list. I've always loved the look of a well-detailed velocity stack. Now I have one on my car that matches my wheels.
    IMG_4249.jpg

IMG_4254.jpg
    After closing down shop tonight, I brought the taillight project back up to the kitchen table. I'll have a more thorough write-up on this when it's complete, but I couldn't help but share a sneak peek. IMG_4257.jpg
    The future looks bright! That's all for now. Hopefully I'll have more updates tomorrow!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  19. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Charlie Yapp’s carb linkage clamps? REAL happy with mine!

J.Ukrop likes this.
  20. Joey, for you!
    "I'm doin' alright, gettin' good grades, THE FUTURE'S, SO BRIGHT, I gotta wear shades!"

J.Ukrop likes this.
  21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Sometimes you need a different card and sometimes you have to tighten your spokes to get the sound you like. It's spring and you may at least need a butterfly screen in your velocity stack, but then again the bugs that make it all the way through will boost your compression. o_O

22. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yes! The perfect piece for the job.

Yesss! Rockin' to this song on a warm San Francisco afternoon.

Great way to put it. I'm going through the deck right now trying to find the one that I like. Now that the paint is dried, the ol' strainer is in place! I like how this engine bay is coming together.
    IMG_4261.jpg

Dannerr, catdad49, hfh and 8 others like this.
  23. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I had a set of baffles in my zoomies on my Flatty years ago...one shot out at a big show and some moron ran over and picked it up...'Damn that's hot!!'
    Some ppl's kids.

24. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The engine bay, yes you have done some great detail work with all the pieces you have added. I doesn't matter how cool the individual parts are if everything between them is a dirty mess. One look under my hood will prove it. :eek:

25. RodStRace

RodStRace

Flatheadpete, didn't take him long to look at a horseshoe, huh?

J.Ukrop likes this.
  26. 97

I have reservations about the screen type filters when they are the same diameter as the carb throat, AND the holes are the same size as the wire size used to make the screen , you are effectively closing off ( choking) approximately half of your air flow. If the screen was domed to half of the diameter or more I think it would counteract the restriction ...or in the case of your sloped velocity stack the screen could be flat but on the same angle as the cut on the stack to increase the airflow/area.
    I have done some experiments with aircleaners and filters on the rolling road using a gas analyser and an airflow meter , the smaller ones have a significant restriction, causing rich mixtures and reduced performance. Worst of all are the respirator filters which some places sell to fit directly over the carb throat , retained by the velocity stack.

27. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

That's how you know your machines have seen some miles. I can't wait for mine to have some road grime. That being said, it's nice to have the parts I've worked on look clean/somewhat complete. It makes it easier for me to figure out where to focus my attention next!

I've never considered that! Maybe I'll have to do a little bit of road testing with and without filter to see how things go.

catdad49, chryslerfan55 and bchctybob like this.
  28. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yesterday, I tried taking the car on a post office run but ran into a not-so-slight rattle with one of baffles. Thanks to the safety tab, it didn't end up in the road! It'll be an easy fix. Anyways, I did stop in front of the old garage—which got a nice set of new doors since I left. IMG_4266.jpg
    I spent the remainder of the afternoon working on the taillight project. I'm really excited with how it's coming together. Other than lots and lots of measuring, does anyone have any good tips on how to get it centered?

Dannerr, catdad49, Tim and 8 others like this.
  29. RodStRace

RodStRace

Take a piece of non-stretch material. Extend it between 2 set outside points. Cut it to full width. Fold in half. Mark half point. Mark mounting points centered on this half point. Extend it back between original points. Mounting and half points are as indicated.
    Or just take a string and pencil, mark an arc from each upper (or lower) trunk corner in the area where you want the light to mount. Where they cross is the midpoint if the string is the same length both times. This assumes the body is perfectly proportionate and square (which it isn't of course)!

Outback, catdad49, J.Ukrop and 2 others like this.
  30. in-the-weeds

in-the-weeds
    from WA

really digging the build man!

chryslerfan55 and J.Ukrop like this.