Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Barn Find '32 5wd Coupe stored since '55

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HEMI32, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Apologies if this has already been posted ...

Brant @VA Mustang Halterman recently removed this Deuce 5-window Coupe from the barn where it had been stored since 1955:

(8) Barn Find Deuce 5wd ... stored since '54 or '55.jpg
    (10) Barn Find Deuce 5wd ... stored since '54 or '55.JPG
    (13) Barn Find Deuce 5wd ... stored since '54 or '55.jpg
    (14) Barn Find Deuce 5wd ... stored since '54 or '55.JPG

Brant plans to do a "traditional build" (i.e., flathead, chopped top, etc.) and has created a Blog to document the history of this old Hot Rod ... and to track the progress of its build:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    rpm56, mgtstumpy, akoutlaw and 23 others like this.
  2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

one less for the boys to be looking for !

grumpy32 and Stogy like this.
  3. Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In dreams, I walk with you...

trollst, Stogy, 31hotrodguy and 3 others like this.

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

Holy Cow !
    Super cool.

VA Mustang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  6. Squablow

Squablow

I hate to be a downer, but it sure looks like a survivor hotrod already. It clearly had a lot of custom touches done to it. Kind of a shame to change it all around now. I feel like it could be preserved as-is, or restored to the way it looked when it went into the barn, but to change it up now feels wrong, even if the end product is "traditional".

1932tub, alanp561, 325w and 12 others like this.
  7. neds29

neds29

Not my choice of course, but I vote No Chop!

8. Those were my initial thoughts as well ...

... BUT the more I read about the history of this "survivor hotrod" (that the previous owner had parked in a barn for more than 65 years) ... and learned that that Mr. Halterman (a self-described "Ford Mustang guy") had sought the advice of (hotrod historian) @Chopperken Gross & (master metalman) Craig Naff about what he should do with the car ... and that Naff would be handling the build ... I have no issue with building this Deuce 5wd as a "Circa 1955 Hot Rod" (with a mild chop and a hot-rodded flathead).

Then again, that's just my opinion ...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  9. VA Mustang

VA Mustang

Well, I have to chime in here! I haven't had a chance to post anything on this forum. Thanks to @HEMI32 for sharing this. What is really crazy is that is the first time I have seen that darn video! LOL

[​IMG]

Anyway, I'm super excited to start this build. Keith at Rexrods has already built the flathead, the quick change is done, I have a set of old SW gauges ready, I have a few parts gathered up, and I hope to have it in Craig's shop by the end of the year.

Everybody has their opinions, and I respect them all. The car just needs to be built though. It would be tough to try to save the current condition if it is to be driven and used.

I invite anyone who is interested to check out the little Blog that I put together for fun: https://32fordhotrod.com. You can subscribe to the Blog (you will receive an email when a new post is made) by entering your email in the box on the RH side bar. You can also subscribe by simply going here:
    http://eepurl.com/hpB1O1

As mentioned, I'm a Mustang guy. I've been selling classic Mustang parts for 40 years. The '32s are new to me, but it has and continues to be lots of fun learning about a different kind of car. If you subscribe to the Blog, you will eventually see some pictures of our '32 Roadster that was purchased back in October of last year. That's a car that was supposedly restored back in 1959. It will also be a "traditional build" with a flathead.

[​IMG]

If you are interested in early Mustangs, particularly '65 and '66 GT350s, you can check out our other Blog at http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

mgtstumpy, Tman, scotty t and 8 others like this.
  10. SPEC

SPEC

what a great find!

Stogy and HEMI32 like this.
  11. deuceman32

deuceman32

Great story and I love the coupe. Custom hood too, 20 louvers on the left, 25 on the right.

Stogy and HEMI32 like this.
  12. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Great Find !!
    I say ""NO CHOP ""
    &'keep roadster so it can go back to Original somday.
    More & more 32s are being found stock or little mods done like yrs, I can not see chopping or Channeling if they where not done before 1970.
    People (in my Opinion 2 cent) that are finding Original bodys Are very fortunate. I recently talk to a gentleman that I know out of chopping his original 32 5w .
    If you want to cut up a Near perfect body
    Cut up a Brook or UP body

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021

13. Nineteen Fifty-Five!!!! That's Back to the Future stuff Right Ther !!!!!!!!

Awesome ....

Stogy likes this.
  14. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazing. Makes one wonder how many more of these treasures are buried out there?
    There’s an upper middle class subdivision here with a house that’s been unoccupied for twenty years. Fully furnished, maintained just enough. Divorce, wife has money and lives in Manhattan. Can’t let stuff go according to her son..
    Parked in garage amongst all the crap is a ‘61 Ferrari, aluminum body, supposedly built for Shah of Iran.
    Probably a ton of treasure out there.
    Sorry for digression, congrats and good luck!

Blue One, Stogy, 4ever18 and 2 others like this.
  15. IMHO, there's plenty of restored '32 Ford Roadsters for folks to appreciate ... putting a hot rod chassis & powertrain under Brant @VA Mustang Halterman's restored 1932 Ford Roadster is exactly what the H.A.M.B. is all about (or did I accidentally login to the Ford Barn this morning? :rolleyes: :D).

NOTE: @Keith Tardel & Jeff @themachine Peterson at REX ROD & CHASSIS have already started transforming Brant's Deuce Roadster into a Traditional Hot Rod:

Brad Lindig & Brant Halterman '32 Roadsters at REX Rod & Chassis - Jan 7, 2021.JPG
    image from the rexrods January 7th Instagram feed

Halterman '32 Roadster chassis with S.c.O.T. blown flathead at REX Rod & Chassis - Feb 18, 2021.JPG
    image from the rexrods February 18th Instagram feed

Halterman '32 Roadster at REX Rod & Chassis - April 6, 2021 (1).JPG

Halterman '32 Roadster at REX Rod & Chassis - April 6, 2021 (2).JPG

Halterman '32 Roadster at REX Rod & Chassis - April 6, 2021 (3).JPG

Halterman '32 Roadster at REX Rod & Chassis - April 6, 2021 (4).JPG
    images from the rexrods April 6th Instagram feed​

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    mgtstumpy, Stogy, Tman and 9 others like this.
  16. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

^^^^^
    Yes the Hot Rod roadster above can be easily trans formed back to Original.
    I like Both .
    To me as a Purist Hot Rodder ,
    I would Prefer to have a Original body Hot Rod that was Modified before 1970
    To me thats Real !!!
    None of the five I have carry any History Except one that was a Hot Rod of 60s

kidcampbell71 and VA Mustang like this.
  17. I totally agree that it COULD easily be transformed back to Original ... but I would question why anyone (especially a Hot Rodder) would ever want to return it to its "right off the 1932 assembly line" state ... ???

There are literally dozens (if not hundreds) of restored 1932 Ford (Model B & Model 18) Roadsters in museums & personal collections ... in fact, there's two of them in my hometown (that only come out once a year for the local parade) ... and unlike a hot rodded Deuce Roadster, these restored examples are rarely driven ... if at all.

Also ... if & when one wanted to sell their "Real Henry Steel" 1932 Ford Roadster, it would command a higher price as a (well executed) traditional hot rod than as a 100-point restoration.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Blue One, Stogy, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  18. Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    mgtstumpy, alanp561, Stogy and 13 others like this.
  19. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

Blue One, Stogy and 35cab like this.
  20. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

Blue One and Stogy like this.
  21. brady1929

brady1929

Amazing.

Stogy likes this.
  22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My '32 five window was bought from a friend's Mom...He went away to college, had lost all interest in his disassembled '32...which had been painted professionally and the Olds engine freshened up, the Cad-LaSalle box rebuilt, and the Olds rear finished with 3.78s, also bracketed and painted.
    $275 cash, (took 2 days and 4 trips with my bud's Dad's Ford flatbed to Grandma's house)
    Dago axle, '40 spindles/brakes, '34 steering, 3 spoke Bell wheel, S/W gauges in '32 dash, straight 5 insert, much fresh chrome.
    I sold the fenders & running boards to a restorer, and the Olds engine and LaSalle box to a member of the club I belonged to.
    '32 got stripped of its fresh maroon paint, then 32 coats of Fire Red Nitro, along with frame rails and some running gear. 296" flathead from Merv Furtado, '41 pickup box, Culver City V8 quickchange, Model A rear crossmember/spring.
    Chop it??? HELL NO!
    Drove it for 8 months, lost license (drag racing) sold it, always regretted it...built a roadster.

23. Ruby32

Ruby32

Awesome

Stogy and 50 Merc Man like this.
  24. Really awesome !

Stogy likes this.
  25. Jay Here

Jay Here
    from Illinois

Awesome!

Stogy likes this.
  26. The interesting thing about the car, it has a 20 louver hood side on the drivers side and a 25 louver side panel on the passenger side. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

Stogy likes this.
  28. RussTee

RussTee

My thoughts so you found an old hotrod Traditional well it must be because it was done before 1954 so now you want to change it to what you think is a traditional hotrod and chop it and make it another "Traditional " car when will anyone learn most traditional cars wernt chopped they had fendersand they had paint jobs. I see so many cars found as they were built back in the day then changed to a so called bellybutton "Traditional car" looking the same as all the other modern traditional cars I think traditional cars built back in the day are becoming very rear lets see who gets the point here!