Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***April 2021 Banger Meet Thread - Fooling with Bangers***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Mar 31, 2021.

1. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Aww,
    Some of the blanks filled in.
    Thank you for the information.
    Now I understand, I didn't see it because I wasn't there.
    Thank you very many...

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Just got word that we'll be at Sonoma Raceway in several weeks! I've been tapped to drive a 1911 National for the exhibition team called the "Ragtime Racers" (see photo -I understand we won't be wearing modern garb) 1911-national-40.jpg ). This car participated in the 1st Indianapolis 500 in 1911. It's a big slow revving four banger! I'm going to trailer in my car to drive with the exotics (PreWar Formula One cars)

Tman, Jet96, burl and 3 others like this.
  3. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Slightly off topic, but to get your fill of both bangers and early racecars, check out the historic races at goodwin in the UK on youtube - some exceptional early cars at full noiuse. Great way to loose a few hours

rwrj and Old Dawg like this.
  4. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

I think it's Goodwood, but you're right, Stovebolt. Those old cars are a hoot. Search S.F. Edge races on YouTube.

5. Right! Several of our fellow competitors in this country compete at Goodwood (both the Festival & Revival) every year! George Wingard from Eugene Oregon has gone to the "Festival" (timed run up the Lord's driveway) for a number of years! Wingard has a collection of very early race cars. On YouTube you can see him "man-handling" his huge fire breathing " 4 Banger" FIAT up the hill! And Paddins Dowling an Irishman from here in California has worried 'The Locals" at "The Revival" quickly driving his '34 E.R.A. R2A, supercharged 91 C.I.D. Riley "Four Banger"! Thinking of timed runs: It's firm that The Santa Margarita Ranch Time Trials is on June 26th next. The event, just off Highway 101 in the Central Coast of California; will probably allow spectators as California is slated to be fully open by June 15th (this will allow the group to keep the entry fee low). I've been urging the event leadership to emphasize "Early Registration" to alleviate the chaos on Saturday morning! (more info. as it comes)

winduptoy and johnneilson like this.
  6. I know where theres an early CrossFlow OHV head sitting on a janky Model B block.. 118790692_10217782475102906_7442956625401527812_n.jpg

GuyW, Jet96, Lil'Alb and 4 others like this.
  7. It doesn't look like one made by Dan Price. Maybe that's one that George Wight produced in the mid-30's! If so, it might be a Collector Piece! Wight owned Bell Auto Parts at that time! He got hold of the patterns of the Miller-Schofield heads from Crane Gartz and Harlan Fengler. Fengler, using Gartz's money bought the patterns out of the Schofield of America bankruptcy. They then formed a company called CRAGAR (a contraction of Gartz's name). Wight redesigned the head to "Crossflow"; and tried to sell them. It was unsuccessful. Apparently the flow of the design is such that the engine is difficult running at low R.P.M. Not suitable for road cars! Just a thought!

Jet96 likes this.
  8. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take a side shot of the intake/exhaust ports. That will tell if it is the Cragar. Valve cover looks like it

9. It depends on the road car...
    Those were notorious for cracking in the center
    J

Old Dawg likes this.
  10. Found out it's a McDowell. It's for sale, if any of you are interested, PM me. It comes with a water pump, chrome intake, and two 97s.

63564396883__F6DFA8B0-BD7F-4EDB-8E9C-88917D0982D5.jpeg IMG_0704.jpeg IMG_0705.jpeg IMG_0708.jpeg IMG_0709.jpeg IMG_0710.jpeg IMG_8958.jpeg

11. It's a McDowell, I thought it was a cragar!

winduptoy likes this.
  12. railcarmover

railcarmover

Crane Gartz..Cra-gar...huh, learn something new everyday, of course I learn I have to put the seat down everyday too, it doesn't take much to toss my salad..

13. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

Just how much more power do you get with the over head value
    D

14. It depends
    Some dohc motors make 350 plus
    Something like this 150-200

Old Dawg and winduptoy like this.
  15. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

"Some dohc motors make 350 plus." For how long?

16. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

I did not realize you got that much

17. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Results from todays dyno session on the yellow Thomas flat head motor.
    I believe that this was the best pull
    IMG_20210410_112547750.jpeg

18. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jet96, Savage Coupe, Old Dawg and 3 others like this.
  19. so far 3 seasons till the head casting gave it up.
    Not to worry, another casting is getting machined up.
    J

20. It is not for the faint of heart or cheap.
    Not when you compare buying a small blk chev from Summit racing.
    J

Old Dawg, burl and winduptoy like this.
  21. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

john , your amazing

22. Steve
    Not me, some of the guys who tolerate me being around.
    But the learning curve is staggering
    Was working on a 255 offy lately
    Just amazing
    J

winduptoy and Old Dawg like this.
  23. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

John --

"So far 3 seasons . . ."

That's a very admirable record in itself.

Stan

Old Dawg likes this.
  24. 97

That is a pretty stout , naturally aspirated A motor . Making around 100 hp from 3000 to 4000rpm , and a more or less flat torque curve, .... over 200 ftlbs up to 3500rpm. Interestingly the air fuel ratio is around
    11-12 :1 fairly reasonable when chasing HP! To me the engine temperature looks quite low when pushing this hard?

winduptoy and Old Dawg like this.
  25. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just OUTSTANDING weather in East Central Brrmont last week! Sandy’s Drive-In was the place to be. 1st outa-the-Barn for BNGR! Picking up right where we left off! BC387B6C-1D87-4A8B-A874-01321EEE9F01.jpeg

Jet96, Old Dawg and Dustyp489 like this.
  26. railcarmover

railcarmover

I got a dyno right out front of the house.. greenback lane,its a light to light dyno,any punk ass kid in a kia provides the load.

guitarguy and Old Dawg like this.
  27. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

im sure it is , never seen one . have you see the inside of a nascar motor & what they can do with it !
    truely a work of art ............ thanks ... john ................. steve

28. When trying to get more power from internal combustion engine one of the greatest consideration must be flow; both intake an exhaust! The less you impeded the flow, the more efficient (and thereby powerful) the engine will be. Every device and turn in the intake and exhaust will tend to impede the flow and result in lower "Volumetric Efficiency". An L Head ("Flathead") usually has a downdraft carburetor. The butterflies, although necessary are an impedance! There usually are four turns in an L Head to get to the combustion chamber. An Overhead Valve (OHV) (with a Downdraft Carb) has two turns! And a Dual Overhead Cam (DOHC) with Side Draft Carb or Injection has impedance of it's flow only depending on the angle of the valves! These considerations are only 'The Basics". I realize there are much more to engine design; but I think you get the idea why more sophisticated cylinder heads can make more power on our "Bangers"!

winduptoy likes this.
  29. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

Understand, thanks for your help

30. I don't necessarily like to posting magazine articles; but Charlie Yapp in volume 15, number 1, July 2005 of "Vintage Ford Speed Secret's of Speed" put out a collection of the genius of Hal L. Hostermann' HAL Cylinders head & engine. Here's one article:
    HAL#1.jpeg HAL#2.jpeg

Jet96, Carter, Shutter Speed and 6 others like this.