Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What we all probably need to do...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 396/425, Aug 9, 2019.

1. BJR

BJR

That's because you try to get a little in every night!:D:p:eek:

Stogy, el Scotto and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Unfortunately I can't take credit for that, I shamelessly stole it right after I saw it yesterday.

Edit: I change it as I see fit, so it might not be to your liking, or anyone elses later.

All the usual standard disclaimers apply.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  3. I have actually got a lot more done this summer than usual. I am almost ready to fire up my Corvette and take a ride. Well, that is if something else doesn't distract me like it usually does. Winter time is when I can't get anything accomplished. I get a chill and it stays with me all the time until the weather breaks into the 80s and 90s again and I can function.
    I do use the recliner after sundown though. Thats how I get sleepy enough to go to bed.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

You first. I'll be right behind you.

Stogy and Truck64 like this.
  5. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that explains a lot. I thought I was just getting old. Isn't science wonderful?

Stogy and Truck64 like this.
  6. 1ton

1ton

I thought he was referring to spending too much time here on the Hamb. Well I, for one, am not addicted. I can quit anytime. Honest I can.

7. flip

flip

You have your priorities correct. Those little people grow up in a hurry. BTW cute kids.

seadog, Ron Funkhouser, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  8. Fuckin oath!
    Procrastinate NOW!

Truck64 likes this.
  9. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Hey Boutlaw, wasn't that " I don't even have a garage......."!

boutlaw, chryslerfan55 and Truck64 like this.
  10. gene-koning

gene-koning

I'm retired. I work on my projects during the day time, if I want to work on my projects... Its nearly 10 pm on a Friday night.
    I have 2 running and driving hot rods right now, the 3rd one in the shop won't move forward too fast until the last project sells and I have the funding to move forward more quickly. Between now and then, there are a few things I can do, if I feel like it.
    In the last 5 years, I've been involved with 4 cars that have become streetable, and 2 additional projects that have moved as far as the owners funding can take them at this point, and that doesn't count my project #2 that became street legal last fall, and my current #3 project. I figure I can take a little time off if I want to. Gene

11. DavidJo23

DavidJo23

What we probably need to do is to sleep more, eat healthy food and take care of our health. Then productivity will come

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    Stogy likes this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...:eek:...and then he was looking for a job, imagine that...:D

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kids are awesome but I like the cute little Pickup...Them Mopars have a look... I'm humming the Sandford tune looking at it even though Freds was a newer Ford...It truly looks like a dog day afternoon arrroooooo...:D

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  14. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I am 67 and abused my body doing construction for too many years. I still do a few smaller jobs for old customers
    which funds my project truck. If I am not working I try to get out to the garage for at least a few hours each day,
    though my better half is younger and still working so I do the house keeping and the cooking as well as the honey do's. Truck 64 is correct, gravity seems to be increasing.

VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No Cookies for you...:)

Truly I think Y'all should give yourselves a pat on the back it's been a really tough Year and a bit...and your alive...maybe a bit down but Alive...;)

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  16. Agreed, I try to count my blessings daily. Hasn't been as easy this past year but I managed.
    I tried to take advantage of the forced down time from work, and being cooped up in the house by starting a project...
    I have made some good progress and I hope to make my soft deadline for the Jalopy Showdown mid May but TROG is my hard deadline. Time will tell.
    20200925_201630.jpg 20201014_205749.jpg 20210103_105150.jpg 20210307_112215.jpg 20210314_114228.jpg 20200829_152803.jpg 20210328_133804.jpg

VANDENPLAS, UNSHINED 2 and Stogy like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@quick85 is right there are a significant number of Hambers here that certainly pump out the volume...so perhaps many but by no means all...I am going through some ruff edges and it does effect my motivation but I'm finding some light at the end of the tunnel but it's an invisible wall that's hard as rock but there is a door and I will have to be the one to open it...may you all get through it...I did the first ride of the year Friday...it was nice and noisy...:)

quick85 and Joe Travers like this.
  18. With age comes a tendency for introspection, nostalgia, sometimes regret. I emptied my shop of tons of car related crap, some good, some bad, somethings of value, and some stuff that was totally worthless. I the process I also emptied out my head, I came to realize that all that stuff was just that, and the weight of it all was physically and mentally more than I could carry. Decades of motorsport and hot rod stuff took their toll, coming to grips with it personally more so. Writing this post by itself indicates that car thing never really gets out of your system completely, but it sure is easier looking at it all through different eyes.

Stogy, quick85, mnjeff and 1 other person like this.
  19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

At 70 yrs. old I love my recliner! I crash into it every day after a day of working on my project in the shop. Been on my '39 Chev 2 years now, and getting close to paint soon!

Stogy likes this.
  20. Tic

Tic

-
    I don't watch any TV except the weather at 4:15 in the afternoon. I also don't do naps. I do spend too much time on the computer looking at car and truck message boards though.

I still spend a lot of time in the shop during the day. I finished the '36 Five Window in 2018 and started on the '34 5 window. I got it on the road last Fall and am looking forward to putting some miles on it this Summer. I installed a SB 350, with a '91 Jeep 5 speed overdrive transmission, and Ford 8" rear in it so it would cruise down the road nice.

I am also into the '67-'72 Chevy trucks and have built a few of them since 2004. I have a '70 Chevy short bed Fleetside with a Tune Port/700 r4 combo in it that I am going to finish up next.

I Turned 78 the day after Christmas but I am still in good shape and still very active. I hope it lasts for a while. I have been retired for 23 years and other than building our house all I have done is work on old iron. There is nothing I would rather do than be outdoors or in the shop working on something.

34 For Web Site.jpg

Happy Trails,

Tic

rod1, Stogy, quick85 and 2 others like this.
  21. 6sally6

6sally6

That explains a lot!! You GO boy!!:)
    Sorta funny what a little creative editing can make!!!;) Jus Funn'in!
    6sally6

Stogy likes this.
  22. topher5150

topher5150

Motivation I have money not so much

23. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Hahahahahahahaha!!! My lady said if I wanted any more kids I'd have to go find a new girlfriend!! :D

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  24. gene-koning

gene-koning

WOW! lots of stuff changed after that post!
    The transmission crapped out on the #2 project (one of the the running and driving hot rods). It took until the spring of 2020 to find a trans I could afford. Then the virus hit and everything went awry.

The other running and driving hot rod gave me notice of some needed updates. It occupied the shop for the winter of 2019/2020 and rolled out the door just in time for the virus to lock everything down. At least I had something we could do short rides with to get my wife and I out of the house for a couple of hours at a time.

In July 2020 I really got started on project #3. Within a couple of weeks of starting project 3, #2 sold, and the build for # 3 was pretty well funded. The virus provided a lot of time to work on project #3, wasn't much else to do. As we head into the spring of 2021, project #3 is getting closer to being road worthy. I suspect I should be driving it buy July, unless the open roads of 2021 call out to me too much.

I'm usually in the shop by 9 am, and work until around 3 pm. I getting really used to that 3 pm nap. When project #3 is finished, I'm going to clean up junk around here, both inside the shop and outside the shop. The goal is to have nothing sitting outside, and be able to park 2 vehicles inside the shop. I think I'm going to let my son have some of my equipment, he is at the point he is ready to get seriously into some of this stuff. I'm going to "lend" it to him, then maybe I will venture to his place and hang around a few hours a day and watch him work. I am more then ready for that different perspective. If it works out, great, if not, I'll have a better idea what might be next. Gene

25. boutlaw

boutlaw

I DONT have a recliner, but I do have a garage and a shop, and Im in the shop every day. Im installing P&Js ladder bars and coil overs in a 34 Chevy coupe right now for a buddy, trying to get the Ranchero ready for the next race the end of the month and the 31 coupe always needs a little attention. Im 73 and blessed with pretty good health. Im of the opinion that one needs something to do every day. I retired in 2010 and I swear I dont know how I worked a full time job and kept things up around the house. I work every day because something always needs to be done. At some point in my life, Ill become a couch taterhead, but not this week, I got to much to do.