Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods how do you guys ship parts to canada

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by silent rick, Apr 1, 2021.

1. silent rick

silent rick

i have an intake in the classifieds sold to a hamber from canada.

what's the best way to ship it? do i have to fill out a customs form? are there any additional fees or duties involved?

any other hoops to jump through?

Stogy likes this.
  2. I used to use Fed X. With an intake you should be able to go USPS no problem. You may have to declare value but that is simple enough. They will have a form for you to fill out.

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ask the buyer to arrange it and send you a label. I sold some stuff to a guy there and we saved over $70. I do know they need 3 copies of the paid shipping reciept and a declaration of what it is and what it's worth. USPS wanted $112 from MI to Ontario, he got it done for $40, emailed me a label and customs copies, dropped it off at UPS, done. And no I didn't go to a UPS Store I went right to a terminal. Just ideas, hope it helps.

Stogy and stillrunners like this.
  4. Have you talked to the person that bought it and asked if they have a preferred method of shipping? Different shippers will have vastly different additional charges the receiver will have to pay once it arrives.

Stogy likes this.

5. I have shipped to Canada a number of times but I insist the buyer tell me who he wants to haul it. Usually it is the USPS, which also has the Export Declaration forms. When it gets into the Canadian postal system the addressee is contacted and he pays the appropriate duties and/or taxes. I don’t believe their postal system charges a fee for that. As I understand it though if it is carried by FedEx, UPS and the like the addressee gets hit with customs clearance charges.

Rick, you are not responsible for any fees at the buyers end, but knowing how he wants it shipped is good on your part.

6. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I make it clear as day that shipping is on them. I will take it to any shipper they want but thats it.. They usually have it picked up by UPS or the US Mail..

Stogy likes this.
  7. UPS sucks, they charge minimum $30 brokerage fees on everything, no matter how small (always fun to order a $10 part and get hit with a $30 fee on top).

USPS mail is best for anything small enough to mail. You just have to fill out a declaration form at the post office, description and value, easy peasy. There will be sales tax and sometimes duty payable by the buyer, but that doesn't effect you when you're shipping anything.

Antique car parts are duty free, but taxable. That just means the buyer MAY get an additional bill from customs, but they don't always charge it, especially on small ticket items.

Until the border slammed shut I had everything shipped to a US post box, drove over the border once a week or so to pick up, paid my taxes etc. on the way home. Made life a lot easier for all involved. Hoping the border will open again in my lifetime :D

pprather and Stogy like this.
  8. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

I, too, shipped a manifold to a rodder in Canada, and he had me ship it to the nearby city in far northern Montana,
    then he went and picked it up. Just an idea....

Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  9. The border has been closed for a year. Shipping companies and truckers, essential workers and a select few can cross, but most of us casual regular ol' people can't.

Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. 2935ford

2935ford

With what is going on these days......going "over" to the US to pick up stuff isn't an option.......at least where I live.
    I have everything shipped and I use USPS......carriers (FDEX, UPS etc) charge a brokerage fee.
    Yes, taxes will be paid by the buyer NOT the shipper.
    As mentioned.....you fill out a declaration form, pay USPS fees, insurance if requested by buyer, get a tracking # and off it goes.

Stogy and Bob Lowry like this.
  11. patterg2003

patterg2003

Another Canadian here that prefers USPS if it is an option. Charlie Chops 1940 pretty much nailed it. The parcel goes to the post office, post office has the export form that simply states what the item is and it's value. In this case a used engine manifold. Recipient pays the taxes due and a couple bucks for the customs transaction. The USPS has an on line cost estimator for shipping to Canada. It states all the dimension and weight limits allowed with the post office. Fedex and UPS stick it to Canadians with their brokerage fees.

D type, Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  12. I ship a lot of shift knobs with USPS including a half dozen to Canada each year so my experience doesn't apply to larger packages.
    I'm not particularly enamored with PayPal but I find them very convenient to use for postage prepaid address labels and postage seems to be cheaper through them than going to the Post Office. And did I say, "No waiting in line"?
    The trick is to start at your PayPal home page and scroll down the right side to "Manage MultiOrder Shipping". Don't let that fool you. You can just do one.
    Click on that and on the next page click on "Create Lable" in the upper right. You'll be able to start filling in the address info. Canadian addresses look a little different than US addresses but don't sweat it if you place their Canadian code in the second address box instead of the "zip code" box. It will get there. Because it's going to Canada, you will be presented with a very short form asking the "value" and the "HS Tariff Number". The HS number is simply to let both countries both know how much of something is being shipped to where. I've never seen the tariff collected so I don't know how that works. You will have to Google search the HS # online where you will find them all broken down into categories and subcategories. So first, auto parts, then engine parts, then sparkplugs, then yada-yada. I think you HAVE TO HAVE that number or you won't be able to finish the label process.
    I get to use the same HS # each time so I personally don't have to search anymore. I have an inexpensive desk digital scale and tape measure. A bathroom scale will work for the big stuff.
    PayPal calculates the cost and draws the amount from your account and with a couple more clicks, you can print the label. Under the bar code is the Tracking # to send your buyer. I've never done this but I believe you're also able to request for the Postman to come to you and pick up the package. My local gas-n-go has a PO Annex where I can do a drive-by drop-off...... so I luck out there too. It takes 20 days or less, door to door.
    Believe me, if I figured it out, I know any of you guys can too. ;)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Stogy likes this.
  13. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Fed Ex , UPS Purolator and USPS.
    USA and Canada biggest trading partners billions of dollars in goods going back and forth over border daily.
    Last month Ordered new starter motor and sparkplug from Rock Auto, on a Friday morning, had parts by 5pm Monday. That was with cheapest shipping rates.

Stogy likes this.
  14. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I have bought a lot of parts from the US over the years. Will always ask the seller to go for USPS first, that has been an effective way to get the parts over the border. Fedex next, and UPS last because of the brokerage fees they like to make up.

Stogy likes this.
  15. I ship a lot up there and use USPS. The customs form is online.

Stogy likes this.
  16. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I used USPS to ship an I beam axle and also have shipped some trans conversion kits. Usual total time from shipping to delivery has been about a month. I find the Canadians to be a bit more patient and also used to long transit times.

Stogy and patterg2003 like this.
  17. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Whatever way you ship it it’s going to cost a shitload

18. Ziggster

Ziggster

Like @Big A and others have stated, up until border closed, had stuff drop shipped to Ogdensburg, NY which is just 45 min south of Ottawa. I’ve purchased a bunch of small items from US since and have asked seller when possible to use USPS to avoid crazy brokerage/custom fees. Would be interesting to see if USPS would ship something as big/heavy as an intake manifold. I still have some trans cooler lines waiting for me since last June because to bring them across the border and shipped to my place was more than I paid for them.

Stogy likes this.
  19. If it’s French Canadia, I use a wooden rabbit
    7655DE7C-D5B3-4F8C-AEB8-5287DD89163B.jpeg

Flathead Dave, egads and Stogy like this.
  20. pontman

pontman

How ever you ship DO NOT USE THIS TAPE!!!
    pot-tapeOIP.jpg

The Shift Wizard, egads and Stogy like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What do the rest of us get the catapult method?...:D

22. southcross2631

southcross2631

My brother has a fast boat and lives close in Michigan . Most shipments are delivered very late at night.
    No customs fees. :rolleyes: Just kidding he hates boats. I use USPS.

Algoma56, Stogy and egads like this.
  23. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

What about the flip side of things? I have located parts in Canada, what hoops must I jump through?

Stogy likes this.
  24. patterg2003

patterg2003

Same process in the opposite direction if it fits in the Canada Post & USPS systems. Fedex & UPS go south but I don't know what they charge for brokerage fees. And patience. I take the best rates to Canada and it takes 7 - 10 days.

Stogy likes this.
  25. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

I really don't like this post and I find it very offensive. Are you implying that French Canadians are stupid? I see no humor here at all. From my perspective I'm finding the comments here to be off color, racist, and demeaning to the French Canadian people here in Canada. I see no humor here at all when comments like this are made at someone else's expense.

26. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Us guys in Canada near the Motor City use this place to ship to but due to Covid it's kind of brought this to a stand still. They did send me a message recently saying they are shipping through UPS into Canada but I wonder how they are figuring the duty costs. I bought a used crossram intake with carbs off Ebay and picked it up in Detroit and when I got to customs they charged me seventy-five bucks to bring back to Canada. The guy who bought that intake must want it pretty bad cause the shipping cost is most likely going to be a lot of quid.

Attached Files:

27. upload_2021-4-2_9-25-15.jpeg

it’s a Monte Python reference
    Technically, the skit is making fun of the English.
    the “wooden rabbit” was a spoof of the Trojan horse. Unfortunately, the English builders of the rabbit forgot to hide inside it.
    honestly I just hope your comment is an April Fools joke. If so, cool.
    I see the French in this Monte Python skit as being technically superior to their English attackers.
    I’m southern. We constantly get laughed it. I have yet to be offended by any comedy.

egads, Blue One and silent rick like this.
  28. As a Canadian, not French, I am also deeply offended Anthony. No need to belittle others to amuse yourself...shame on you.

Well shit, I just noticed it’s now the second. Can’t even get April fools right!!!

I’m off to find a studebaker.

Oh and I just mail stuff across the border, easy.
    Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    egads, Blue One and anthony myrick like this.
  29. silent rick

silent rick

thanks everyone

egads, Baumi, Flathead Dave and 2 others like this.