Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What Happened to Hilborn?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31hotrodguy, Feb 2, 2021.

1. 296ardun

296ardun

Many have looked, even hired a private detective. The prevailing story is that it was scrapped and parted out.

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Check with Nick Smithberg, he ended up a lot of inventory when the move was done.

loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  3. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

That just sucks! Oh well I’m not a big Holley fan anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  4. French Grimes in Madison VA

FrenchGrimes.com

Fuel Systems

Fuel Systems are a mainstay of our business. We offer a combination of comprehensive knowledge, the best test facilities and experience that comes from 52 years of tuning with 25 years devoted to building winning fuel systems. When you need your fuel system and pump upgraded, we provide a service that cannot be equaled. We are not shackled to any one pump or injection line, so you can trust our recommendations on your system. In addition to a comprehensive stock of Hilborn and Kinsler fuel injection components, we have a proprietary product line that includes our no leak fuel modification valves, vapor-fuel nozzles, custom built injection systems and a tuning service that will optimize your injection system.

5. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Hilborn is older than this, right?

Deuces, loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  6. crider

crider

Yes, Hilborn has been around since way before 1972

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  7. Glad I didn't buy a 4 port EFI a couple months ago and guessing it would be an even worse idea now. Looks like it's still available at Alky Digger, but then what do you do for tech support or parts in the future. May be time for a plan "B".

8. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was impressed with the tech support at Hilborn. They even worked with one off configurations. I sent them a magnesium 3hole inline and they customized it for 6-71 sbc on alcohol, it could also fit 4-71 with new base adapter. So next question SWAP MEET HILBORN chasers...which way is the prices going..?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  9. Roothawg

Roothawg

The only way it can go....UP.

10. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's what I figured....can't wait for the "Pre Holley" good ones.... or the Cali EFI... version..

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have a set for my small CID motors and one for my big CID motors. I still need to buy the extra parts, like pumps, filters etc.

12. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

....yeah Pumps and drives. I can't help but think of the linkages, barrel valves and other parts I should have bought two.

13. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-4-1_3-44-47.png 1960 61 year tradition

Hello,

Since we wanted to go fast in our 1940 Willys Coupe in the Gas Coupe and Sedan Classes, we had as big of a motor, SBC, as safely possible. This was the set up for bolting on a 671 supercharger. A 292 c.i. motor with 6 Strombergs was our limit at the time, but we did have this new scoop and the twin Hilborn Injectors already in a Los Angeles garage, just waiting for us to pick it up.

The two port Hilborn Injectors were what the top Gas Coupe and Sedan racers had already gone to, with their endless supply of support sponsorship money. We stuck by the old Strombergs until our new order was ready for our next level of racing.

Jnaki
    upload_2021-4-1_3-46-33.png
    Would the two port Hilborns make a difference? The results from all of the other racers in this division were making strides with more horsepower and faster quarter mile times. So, yes, it had to happen for our new purchase. Just in time for the U.S. Nationals in Detroit during September 1960. We were close to the C/Gas national record. (by a half second...)

Hilborn is no longer in Aliso Viejo, CA, as the last So Cal portion of the Hilborn Injection business that started a long time ago. (Los Angeles and Laguna Niguel) But, the memories of the introduction of the two port injectors and the famous scoop will last forever. Thanks for the contribution to drag racing…

14. 36joe

36joe
    from Tennessee

Alkydigger.com

loudbang, Deuces and 31hotrodguy like this.
  15. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Thanks 36joe, Alkydigger has been really helpful when I have bought stuff from him in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  16. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

I have the inventory that was left behind from the Holley buy out. I do not have any fuel system side of things but have a mountain of stacks and castings. I'm currently tooling up to make shafts, blades, and stacks the same way Hilborn did things. Don Enriquez, Gene Adams, and the Hilborn family have been super helpful in giving me hints on how to do things and to identify the things I have. I will continue to restore injectors as I have been. I had 4 crates show up weighing over 3000# total of items. Rest assured I'm a younger guy that will help carry the torch where others may not.

Nick Smithberg

17. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

20210105_175340.jpg

20210106_065456.jpg

There are a ton of castings. I have an inventory list but I plan to make them mechanically complete for now to eventually put up for sale or build to suit.

18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

19. mopacltd

mopacltd

I will be contacting you on stacks. Mine are two inch and when I get the manifold on the Model A I will know how tall the stacks need to be.

20. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Hey Nick, I’m really glad to hear you are doing this! I was wondering why no one had stepped up for this and again glad to hear that someone did!

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  21. Way to go, much needed and appreciated Nick.

22. twopintsplease

twopintsplease
    from oz

I to was looking for the Hilborn web site and ended up here , i have a throttle body that i was hoping to find out who was the original purchaser, any idea were the old records ended up ?

And Nick good onya for purchasing the ram tubes and castings and having them available for those who need them

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  23. mopacltd

mopacltd

Talk to Don Enriquez at Holley. He got that info and even a copy of the original receipt for my stack injection.

24. I would *like* to talk to Don. I've called Holley and all they will do is take my number to have him call me. It never happens.
    Mike at Alkydigger said they still have the records of all Injectors they've ever sold, and said the same thing about getting in touch with Don--it's difficult.
    I have a 2-Port upright for a 6/71 and here's the info on it that I got when they were still in Calif.
    However, I acquired another one and would like to know the origin, who's it was, specs etc. The number stamped on the one in question is 581. Any help is appreciated. HILBORN.jpg

25. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice job getting all those components.

Big mike 1968 likes this.
  26. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

Just a heads up on this post.... I now have the capabilities to make new shafts, blades, and linkage pieces for Hilborn units. I have for years restored many of them and can offer parts for those looking on a per order basis. My other fixture to machine raw castings is nearing completion so that will open opportunities in the future. I'm also going to reproduce many of the ram tubes that they sold. Hope to have materials and dies ready by late summer 2022 if my workload calms down.

Here is one of the first injectors going out the door of my shop for a Pontiac Iron Duke 4 cylinder - Model #160-P-4A. All components I made to finish this one out.

Attached Files:

elgringo71, fauj, rod1 and 14 others like this.
  27. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Never should have sold my Iron duke race motor, that injector set up looks really nice.

loudbang and Tman like this.
  28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the 70’s I went down off Crown Valley to convert the stock head Algon GMC6 to them to convert to all Hilborn nozzles and a pump. When I walked holding they said to get the POS out of their building and go around to the back roll up door. It was not allowed past the door edge. Very very little help even talking about a pump for the 2 to 1 drive. I left and went to Enderle who were happy for my business and a pleasure to work with.
    Fast forward to the late 90’s and I went down to have a Hilborn pump tested on Joe Fontana Skinner 12 port. It had a Skinner cast injection body but I didn’t have it along with me. Don and I went back and did the test and on the table were injectors for the Arias 12 port not made or cast by Hilborn. The were finishing them. I asked how they were let inside without Hilborn on them and was told business was business. Just laughed to myself.
    I still have 2 Algon GMC’s a Skinner 12 port and an Arias/Howard injectors with heads too.

fauj and loudbang like this.
  29. Deuces

Deuces

Did I ever mention that I like stacks????......:cool::D:rolleyes:

loudbang likes this.
  30. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

Figured I'd give another update here. I decided to have a spin off of my normal business that was dedicated to the fuel injection side. I'm calling it Boss Fuel Injection in which I will restore Hilborn units and make replacement parts as needed. I'm currently working on the fuel system side getting the components made that I need for lines and barrel valves. Plan to make all but the nozzles themselves as I don't have a fuel flowbench as of yet. The stack side I have limited supply left. I do plan to reproduce them but getting materials has been ridiculous on pricing and availability so that will be on the back burner for a little bit. I will also be doing EFI Conversions on these units and have alot of neat stuff designed for that side. There are some castings and billet throttle bodies (think 4 hole injectors) I will be manufacturing here in the very near future as well. Haven't got the website done yet but I'm on Instagram if you wanna follow along @bossfuelinjection.
    BOSSLOGO.jpg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022