Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Lipstick on a pig

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chessterd5, Mar 30, 2021.

1. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

The title says it all.
    I just hope that the home built hot rod never dies.
    Dirt floor sheds, hand tools, brushed rustoleum paint job, and junkyard parts. Don't get me wrong, I love a high dollar ride. I got magazines full of them. But there is something special about piecing a car together without a budget out of junk.
    That's why the guys are smiling in the pictures. Let's not loose that!

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Rear window is clean..

alanp561, Gasser 57, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  3. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

So are the other five. Lol!

4. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought this thread was about my Sister-in Law:eek:

Seriously, I'm with you brother. At a show, I'm more likely drawn to an unfinished, rough around the edges hot rod, than to a nicely finished (shiny) one. It's probably because I can relate better to a "built in the driveway" hot rod (like mine), rather than one that's "shop built".

5. Testify my brother ;)

alanp561, AHotRod, ClarkH and 7 others like this.
  6. gene-koning

gene-koning

I build all my stuff out of my 2 car garage. I don't buy much stuff out of junk yards anymore, they are too expensive! I tend to buy donor cars and trucks that have the parts I'm looking for on them. I discovered I could buy a whole car for about the cost of a junk yard motor, then I had all those other parts I could use, or pull off and sell. The longer you can keep the donor around, the more you will find that you can use. A good donor could put some pretty good money in your pocket that you use to buy some of the new stuff you need with. I'd strip the car of the good stuff and drag it to the junk yard and they would hand me money too.

Over the years I've learned to do body work. I can stand to do body work about 2 months and I'm done with it. Cheap farm implement paint is around $40 a gallon and is good for about 5 years. Then I do another round of body work and paint it again, probably using paint from the same gallon. After a few rounds, even my crappy body work starts looking pretty good.

I've also discovered over the years that some parts of the car are best to do right, and completely right up front. Brakes and front suspension top that list, tires and glass are close to the top. If you do those things right up front, you have brakes and suspension (and new tires) you don't have to worry about for 5 or more years. It costs a bit more up front (that where selling the parts off the donor you don't need comes in pretty handy), but not having to worry about some things makes driving them more fun.

My coupe has been my daily driver between Apr and Oct for the last 8 years. We have put over 80,000 mile on it over that time. It started with all new brakes, suspension and glass, someone gave me a nice set of used tires. I think I was about $3500 into it the first day I drove it. The winter of 19/20 saw new metal and body work and a few wore out parts were replaced. It also got new paint. It and us are ready for the next 80,000. Gene

Attached Files:

7. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I get it , I truly do. It's a neat car.
    You can do better work though.

8. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

Yep, I'm picking up what you are laying down! I can appreciate cars, trucks, motorcycles in any category. One of my all time favorites was a bone stock Model T that didn't have a lick of paint on it anywhere. The all encompassing rust was a smooth, semi gloss, marbleized, wondrous thing of beauty, right down to the can hanging under the rad to catch the drippings. Might have been brushed with some kind of varnish or something. Ran like a top and was someone's pride & joy. Wish I would of had a camera with me.

9. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

I like the green car, I like the red & white car, I like the sign on the back side of the red & white car even more!!!

10. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Yes sir, I can and I will.

11. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Cool for starter car. You can take it further in that dirt floor shop with old rusty hand wrenches ;)
    Been working under a carport out of 2 old rusty Craftsman tool boxes. Fixing up a brick floor patio shop right now. I'm upgrading after 45 years.

Joe

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  12. Hey, pigs need love too!

13. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Are you kidding? that is cool. As much as I like high dollar cars I find myself walking by them to check out a car like yours. Enjoy.

14. After applying the lip stick on the pig, kissing is optional.:D HRP

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

My truck was primer, lumpy and dirty. But every time I came out the store somebody was standing there telling me how cool it was. Then I block sanding until my hands were raw, cleaned, painted and shined it. Now when I come out of the store there's nobody in sight. :(

A Boner, SlamIam, Blues4U and 13 others like this.
  16. Budget36

Budget36

I’m not going to fault anyone for their bodywork or lack of, heck, I’ve left smooth vehicles in primer because I couldn’t afford a paint job.
    Good thing about the car pictured is it will protect the metal and the person can enjoy it

Now I can fault the green color of choice;)

Spoggie and chessterd5 like this.
  17. Is there other pictures? I'm only seeing one...

Carlmac 369 and chessterd5 like this.
  18. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Hello Budget36, the green color dried a little darker. Between the green body and the gloss black frame, suspension,and bobbed rear fenders it looks real Model T like.
    Except hot rodded. The 4 inch channel and 5 inch rake help. Lol
    This is the same parade car we discussed but I got a 300 ford engine installed now.
    And thank you for helping me.

chryslerfan55, AHotRod and Budget36 like this.
  19. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

There's only one. There are others on my media album but nothing worth looking at.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. Budget36

Budget36

Hey, good deal. That 300 will get ya a bit better than 15mph;)

chryslerfan55 and chessterd5 like this.
  21. I remember with my old Model A pickup I was always getting a lot of complements when it was in primer, when I painted it I originally wanted to paint it Canary Yellow but at the last minute I painted it red, I hated it and sold it a few months layer, I should have left it in primer. HRP

[​IMG]

6inarow, alanp561, deadbeat and 6 others like this.
  22. Budget36

Budget36

Hey, can we get a side shot? Oh, maybe have some cool lettering on the doors that say “envy” ;)

23. Budget36

Budget36

How cool are those older black and white pics?

chryslerfan55 and chessterd5 like this.
  24. This is all I have on the computer. HRP

[​IMG]

25. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

That's a nice truck!
    You can always tell when a full fendered hot rod is done right. Because the proportions and spacing are right.

26. Budget36

Budget36

Would have looked better if in both shots the little lady was the only person seen;). Just kidding. Damn that truck has the stance.

27. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Your truck is the little one with the V860 right?
    I love that thing! I think you needed a sleeve for your crank pulley? Were you able to get it fixed?

28. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks, that's the one. Yep, found a speedi sleeve by size that fit like a glove, didn't even have to change the seal.

20201004_073837(1).jpg

Lil'Alb, Spoggie, tb33anda3rd and 6 others like this.
  29. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

20210403_153443.jpg

Attached Files:

30. This is my 347 Pontiac powered 27T on a 21TT truck chassis. All brush painted IMG_20210322_175304168_HDR.jpeg IMG_20210401_163321756_HDR.jpeg IMG-20210322-WA0004.jpeg IMG_20210302_214046877.jpeg

Sent from my moto g(8) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces, ffr1222k, alanp561 and 5 others like this.