Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods vendors not stocking parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lumpy 63, Mar 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

The Edelbrock situation may have been magnified due to their relocation. They probably let inventory deplete with the upcoming move. Though they retained their CA foundry, I'm not sure if they still machine the castings in CA or the raw castings are shipped out of State to be finished?

Was going to build another 10' x 12' storage shed in the yard. That'll have to wait. A 2x4x92" Doug fir stud at Lowe's is $9.00 plus 7.75% sales tax, plus 1% CA state lumber tax=damn near $10 out the door for a stud!!!!:(

Just received a shipment of Little Giant combo ladders I ordered for our service trucks at work. I placed the order last October. Found that the "made in USA" co. has moved most manufacturing to China. Price we pay for off shoring so many items.

3. chopped

chopped

Just maybe, if we made stuff here shipping wouldn't be such a problem?

58oldsmobile88, reagen, jvo and 3 others like this.
  4. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i just had this happen ordered parts from jegs , said thank you for your order your parts should ship in june from the manufacturer ? geesh then why did you take my money ?

5. Because it will be August when you get your parts if you pay for them in June.

6. BJR

BJR

Talked to a roofer friend of mine, he said by June you will not be able to buy shingles. Something about an asphalt shortage. Also roofing steel and siding steel will run out, because a plant that makes the resin that goes in the paint for the steel was shut down due to covid.

7. It would still be an issue. when States shut everything down, the workforce stayed home. Well, except us.

8. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Wow, a lot of replies here. I guess everybody is seeing the same thing. I've been trying to put together a BBC , lets call it a 396 for the moderators :D and nothing is in stock from cylinder heads to camshafts... The good news is now I will just take my vintage iron heads to the machine shop and spend my money locally to make it like they did in the day:cool:

9. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

ya, the parts shortage is everywhere.. Newer car stuff to olde car stuff. We have referring to this as "Intergalactic back order"

10. Hey! I thought I invented that phrase 20 years ago! :(
    :rolleyes:

11. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Bicycles now have model years?

12. Yeah, our freezer craped out two weeks ago. Fortunately it has an alarm that goes off when it gets 10 degrees over temp, at 4:00am. I searched on the internet for all the local stores as we needed a freezer NOW! Everything said out of stock so I started calling around at 6:00am to Lowes, Home Depot, anyone that was open. Finally found ONE freezer (not the one I wanted) at a Lowes and put it on hold and drove over and got it. Lady told me that was the only freezer within 150 miles and I was lucky!

mad mikey and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that a number of vendors have been doing the order it when we get the order for quite a while on a lot of slow moving items. I bought a park light lens for one of my OT trucks a year ago (truck is still 44 years old) and it took almost two months to show up. I figured that they were putting stuff on stock orders when they got enough to get a better price on the order. I had to wait almost 3 months for a gas filler hose for the same truck a couple of years before so it isn't that new of a thing.

That ship with 20,000 containers on it that was stuck in the Suez canal for 6 days (got pulled off at 3 am their time today 3-29-21) blocked 300 and something freighters hauling product one way or the other and no doubt some of that was headed to the east coast. That plays hell with the just in time delivery.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Just-in-time delivery = Not-in-time delivery.

15. Sadly, there's a labor component to all of this as well. For decades, a human actually placed orders for items to be stocked. A good, experienced employee could often anticipate the movement of particular items and stay ahead of the game, thus eliminating outages.Ever since the advent and acceptance by retailers of the bar code/ scan system, humans are often completely eliminated from the process. When a particular item is scanned at checkout or shipping, another one is ordered automatically. Lots of jobs went away. This isn't a new phenomenon, just one that becomes ever more apparent each time there is any sort of supply chain breakdown.

16. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

As others have stated, it's not just car parts. And it's not jit deliver or fifo that's the issue either. As it is in most situations, it's not one thing but many things that are all contributing to this issue. I'm in the food manufacturing business, and if you think it's rough not getting car parts, you'd better hope they fix these issues before you have issues feeding your family.

We can't find help. People in the 15/hr and less crowd don't want to work. Unemployment is paying them as much or more than they normally make, and due to covid can't be denied. I know a guy that used to work at my place we just tried to get to come back to work. He said no, he's making as much money to sit home. He's been on unemployment 2 years and just got approved for the same amount until September.
    Every business in my town has help wanted signs in the window. Lead times are through the roof, and some things we just can't get. Raw materials are a nightmare for sourcing, and their cost is skyrocketing.

Until these issues are fixed, it'll continue to decline. They need to get unemployment back to reasonable, and if someone is offered a job, their unemployment should be denied.

17. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

I believe a lot of the reason we have such a shortage of supplies is the China embargo. While possibly necessary in theory, China said otherwise. They just gave us the big finger and said “Let’s see who suffers the most when we don’t manufacture what you want! Who will blink first.”

18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Glad I’m retiring in June, shingles are 99% of what I haul!

Haven’t heard anything about that, and I’m in the plant every day, maybe it’s just in certain areas? We are as busy as one armed wallpaper hangers right now, but that could slow or stop at any time.

19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Can you imagine being among those affected by the tornado carnage in the South and trying to source building materials?:eek:

Ray

210superair, egads and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. Yup, been that way for 40 years or so. Although the industry is going away from that

21. carbking

carbking

"Just in Time" has been a policy for many for decades. It worked REASONABLY well on fast moving items when (A) there were items being produced, and truck drivers to deliver the items.

COVID has changed the "reasonably well" to "totally unpredicable". One person tests positive, contact tracing quarantines 25 more, and a manufacturing line is shut down. If the plant is lucky, 5 days later, they TRY to restart the line.

We have never adhered to Just in Time. Mostly, we either make all the parts for our kits, or have local machinists make them for us. Thus our biggest issue is raw supplies (brass rod for fuel valve seats, gasket material, etc.).

We subcontract fast moving carburetor gaskets to a local company. Recently, placed an order for a gasket we had never previously ordered. The die department was shut down (COVID), they were out of the gasket material which we normally used, but had a slightly more expensive material that was slightly better. So placed the order. Now, the production line is down (COVID). Order is now 6 weeks old, when normally we get 2 week turnaround.

Fortunately, "fast moving" for us is 2~5 weekly. I have all the gasket fabricating tools necessary to cut these.

Jon.

fauj, WalkerMD, warbird1 and 3 others like this.
  22. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Just because you ordered something and they gave you an expected delivery date doesn't mean they are actually going to deliver it then............or that the person giving you that date has anything to actually base his promise on. I went thru that with a standard catalog listing for a roller cam for a Cad 500 from Comp Cams. They told Summit 2 months. After 2 1/2 months I called Comp. Was told that they did not have any cam blanks in stock for that item. Was given another 2 month expected delivery. Two months more went by and I called again and was told that they still did not have any blanks in stock. Given a 2 month expected delivery date again. Called Summit and they refunded my money. Wrote a letter to Billy Godbold and he didn't even bother to respond/email. Yep, when they tell you an expected delivery date, don't hold your breath...............
    The thing is, they just throw a date out there when they really don't have any input that they can make the part by then. The thing about it was that I was going to buy a couple of those cams with the addition of springs and pushrods and even some expensive stand alone (not Hamb Friendly) injection systems. Their lack of customer concern cost them far more than the cost of one roller cam. :mad:

23. williebill

williebill

I know this has gone OT, but I'll sneak in a bit. I'm in the bicycle business, too, been doing this for 45 years, and it ain't never been this way before. Got 2 bikes in 2 weeks ago. I had ordered them, along with about 75 more, last April. That's 11 months. Supposed to get 6 more this week. Yippee. The whole supply chain is fucked, and it doesn't matter that I personally know probably 50 separate reasons that add up to this mess, but it doesn't matter, all the customers have run out of patience.
    I spend most of my day dealing with, trying to deal with, trying to explain to people who won't or can't listen to me why things are the way they are. And I hear, from my sources ( NOT the bicycle companies ) new reasons every day.
    Calls from the 6 surrounding states looking for bikes. Every day. Every day.
    I feel like the dirty faced kid, sneaking up the the kitchen of the big house, knocking on the door, begging for scraps.
    We're busy. Fixing older bikes cause it's cool to ride again. For now anyway.
    One way or another, everything is affected..... They're telling me the bikes I order today may show up in 2022... or some in 2023. I just want the bikes I ordered last year.

Baumi and Tman like this.
  24. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I think the point is that everything a manufacturer or distributor thought they knew about the supply of raw materials and finished goods is out the window right now. Everything is not sitting on a shelf somewhere waiting for an order. That is the current reality. It isn't corporate greed. At least not in every case.

25. lake_harley

lake_harley

Regarding that....it won't be me blinking. Use it up, wear it out, or do without. Manufacturing will replace the void and satisfy the need for "things" over time.

Maybe I'm just old and cynical.

Lynn

Nostrebor and egads like this.
  26. Wrench97

Wrench97

And just think about all the delays and tied up containers and ships due that little barge getting stuck in the canal.........................

27. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

In the middle of my garage build right now. Gonna hate to see the final $/sqft but stopping isn't an option. Worst part is, final signoff will likely stall in a few weeks because the garage doors are 6-8 weeks out.

28. Wrench97

Wrench97

29. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It’s just not car parts. I was in Wally World for a battery for the wife’s car and the bicycle racks are empty. Patio stuff the same. I can look out at the Pacific from Huntington Beach and there are more container ships than you can count and we are 15 miles down the coast from the port.

egads and Tman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.