Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The History of Ace Auto Supply

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The History of Ace Auto Supply

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

41 GMC K-18, AHotRod, Lepus and 4 others like this.
  2. 2935ford

2935ford

Might this be the same building? 1512 4th St sw still an auto shop. ace 001a.jpg

51 mercules likes this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yep... I think that's it.

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These two photos will answer the question about the building being some kind of optical illusion. An old hot rod shop, a hot rod, and what appears to be some homeless dude hanging out in the partial shade. Ace Auto.JPG Ace Auto1.JPG

5. 2935ford

2935ford

That '59 ranchero is like what I had and unfortunately sold many years ago. They came stock already lowered! :)

6. 5window

5window

Great story with a sad ending. You did a lot of legwork to get that far. $1.8 million in 1986 is like $4.5 million today. That's a lot for a small business to owe and I am surprised that the bank let him get that far. They must have had a lot of respect for him locally.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    OLLIN and Nostrebor like this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

They were in business for 43 years... A mom and pop parts store with that much history was pretty rare even in the mid-80s... I'm fairly certain these guys were thought pretty well of...

OLLIN, 5window and lurker mick like this.
  8. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I was thinking the same thing. That was a man with seriously good credit.

The 1960 lawsuit made me giggle a bit. Defacing a sign specifically to redirect traffic to a different establishment is a pretty specific thing to do if you are planning to get away scot free. I assume a point was being made.:D

9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The story you have told here parallels that of all sorts of mom and pop businesses all over the US in that the chain stores are wiping them out.
    The American public, and to an extent I'm guilty also myself, have their eyes on price and instant gratification. If the big box store has it in stock and just a bit cheaper, than the mom and pop, who are also NIS, but can get it in 2 days, guess where they buy?
    The big box stores buy in huge volume, and can sell for a profit for a price lower than mom and pop can buy it!
    At 83, I've seen my hometown go from almost total auto parts sales from 3 independent dealers to 1, and the rest all from chain stores. And it's the same for every other type of merchant in town.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. Curt Six

Curt Six

I know Lujan is a relatively common surname, but I wonder if there's any relation between the Joe L. Lujan that broke into the warehouse (per the second article you posted, "Judge Requests Reports on Trio") and the Ron Lujan they sponsored in the Soap Box Derby. Regardless, great story...I love stuff like this.

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I noticed that too and searched like hell, but couldn't find anything...

12. AHotRod

AHotRod

Good story Ryan

13. The owners just closed down the last remaining Midway Auto Supply here in Dallas after some 60 years. At one time next to the 7/11 was a Chief Auto Supply which was part of that 7/11 chain - they outlasted that place a long time ago. Google the place on Hampton road and look at the little Austin car a top the entry...we all remember when the owners had it chromed !

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Midway Auto.JPG Midway Auto1.JPG

kidcampbell71 and AHotRod like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image (3).jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/gas-and-fuel-altereds-rules-and-pics.971509/

:rolleyes:...Well @AHotRod since many moons ago you shared this I might as well share it in a post with your name on it and hopefully it adds a little ambience to the Story...maybe related maybe not as it is 'Parts' as opposed to 'Supply'...dunno...nice Hotrod though...and I must say I sure have shared a lot of images you have shared...;)...the oddballs...:D

Thank you always...

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    VANDENPLAS and AHotRod like this.
  16. OLLIN

OLLIN

That's a REALLY common name here in NM.